1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

lead recovery

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

Our club has one field. The backstop is the side of a small mountain, all rock. Last year, just for fun, I dug a 5 gallon pail of the leaf stuff from the base of the rocks. Hard digging. I rinsed the pail of "stuff" and recovered about 16 lb. of shot. Totally unusable for reloading, so I melted it down to cast bullets.

This field has been used for over 50 years. There must be a LOT of lead out there. Any brillant ideas for recovering it? Like I said, it's all rock with leaf "stuff" at the base.

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I would think shot being largely spherical, would have been washed by rainfall to the bottom of the mountain. You might have a treasure trove under that leaf litter.

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Burn the leaves off to bear ground.

4. capvan

capvan Active Member

We're talking feets of leaf rot. Very dense and you couldn't burn it if you tried. Can't even penetrate it with a shovel. And lots of granite peeking thru it.

5. locdoc

locdoc Member

Sounds like Perkinsville. Eh?

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.