1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead Reclamation Blankets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rando, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rando

rando TS Member

One of my local sportsman clubs shoots trap into a hill side, we had it mined several years ago and didn't like the results or split in percentage. I have read on this site? or another? about blankets or tarps or something similar being used to retain shot for recycling. During last Sundays shoot we figure we deposited over 600lbs of lead into said hill side. If we can collect it with out the big hassle of mining it, we would recycle back to the membership, after sorting, at a much reduced cost. I have seen pictured of Italian shoot clubs that were surrounded by berms and covered with a blue tarp or blanket, for the express purpose of catching shoot. Any feed back on this type of material would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Randy Lohr

2. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Up for some help

I'm interested too

3. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Great idea! I brought up the same idea at my club and was shot down by the ney sayers(I was president at the time). For the initial cost of material, it would be very good thing.

Figure it laid out tarps at even the beginning of winter. You would have weekly practices and league shoots. and go out in the spring and see. We have average of 120 shooters in winter league and host twice. Would be a breeze to clean it up! Keeping eveyone out of it will be the problem.

The only way to see would be to price tarps or curtain, figure out average of shooters over a years period and see if it is feesable.

Good luck !!

Jerry Lewis

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Anyone know what the price of the curtains would be?

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The ranges in Italy you mentioned reclaim over 90 percent of the shot. The cost to set up a field runs between $4000 and $6000 dollars. It would appear to be a very good investment. HMB

6. quartering

quartering Active Member

you don't have to cover the entire landscape, you only have to net the sweet spot where 80 to 90% of the shot flies. and the net isn't anything but heavy duty/pet window screen. 50 cents a square foot at home depot. that's only a couple of grand per field. good luck with it

7. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

You have to cover a huge area in order to collect any volume. A farm supply or a commercial flower opperation should have roll out tarps that allow water to pass thru but not lead. It is labor intense, wind is a major problem and the cost is substantal. Clean up is not a breeze. You will have to pin the tarp every 8 to 12 inches or it WILL blow away.. Have fun...

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

9. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

Would it be feasible to pave the "sweet spot" and use a sweeper to collect the shot. Since the area would not have to handle heavy traffic it could be much thinner. My $.02. jack

10. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

FYI any paving or impervious surface will likely require storm water management approval from your local township. That could mean site surveys, hydrologic surveys, approval by civil engineers, appearances before the local governing boards, retaining legal advice, consulting the EPA, and expensive permits. Many townships these days are craving revenue and putting heavy cost burdens for fees on any development.

Then, someone is going to ask about the lead and where any run off is going. Then, someone else will wonder Exactly what is in those busted orange discs?

Then, some other council person will ask some other question that will set the neighbors in a tizzy and the township engineer will want to cease operations until they find out what you have been putting in the ground for all those years.

I'd be really careful what alternative you choose to collect lead, impervious surface, screens, or otherwise.

Yikes, tread softly yee lead recovery seekers.

js in PA

11. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Bear in mind we shoot yardage, the Italians shoot from 15 meter line only. Their shot fall zone is much smaller than ours. Their back ground berms are purposely build with trenches under it for shots recovering.

The most effective shot recovering system for ATA style shooting is vertical net, which is expensive, and most shooters don't like the look of it.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Moving back is an advantage for shot recovery, no need to change anything. HMB

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

They had them set up for the Greek Olympic. The Greeks didn't want the lead spoiling their ground. LOL It worked great for them.

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you would like to keep trap shooting affordable, some serious thought should be given to setting up a shot recovery system. HMB

15. SBennett

SBennett TS Member

I don't know the cost of this but I always wondered if it was feasible to set up corrugated roofing material at 4 or 5% slope down to a gutter or trough. Then collect it from there. Maybe it would be too noisy?

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Who would you be disturbing in the shot drop zone? HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.