1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

lead prices

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

What does everyone think the chances are of us seeing lead for $20/bag in the next year? Am I just dreaming?

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I hope the lithium battery makes new headwind and lead gets devalued to worthless junk metal.

3. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

Me Also! What are junk car baterries going for now?

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Lead batteries for vehicles will be a memory in approx. 5 yrs.

Lead is a natural by-product of silver and zinc mining, so as those prices rise and the quantity goes up with demand, then the lead (bulk) should drop.

However, doubtful we'll ever see $20.00 per bag again unless the demand drops considerably.

Curt

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Lawrence is $23 at the Richmond gun club here in VA . Jeff

6. DONNE

DONNE Member

Just bought 2 new batteries for the boat . They charged me a $9.00 "core fee" ! Said bring back the old ones and we'll give you your $18.00 back. I asked 'em if they would give me $9.00 for all the old junk batteries I have , NO !

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Jeff, $23 a bag for Lawrence Mag. is about $6 below dealer cost. At that price I'm sure I can find a truck to come on down and take all you have!!

8. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

sure that's not $32?

I'll drive a semi to VA and bring it back!

SW

9. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

check out this website:

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical_large.html#6months

This is the current prices for "Raw Lead" on the commodities exchange, as it would come from the lead mines and be sold to manufactures of shot and other manufactures of lead based products. This does not include the manufacturing cost, packaging, shipping and handling.

It’s a wonder we are getting our shot as cheap as we are.

10. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Junk Batteries are $4.00 each at most salvage yards in our area. As in that's what they pay. Bill

11. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Do to some policy desputes China notified the US several months ago that they would no longer take our lead. What they were really saying the stick it up you know what. I have been getting my lead free from some of the tire shops. The salvaged yards don't wont anymore. If you are paying some supplier for used weights more than 10.00 a 5gal. bucket then you are paying to much.

12. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

SPOT PRICES... have little to do , if anything at all, with what a store charges for shot. No one in the shot business pays "SPOT PRICE" for lead. If I were a vendor I would just let this site set my prices. Steel and aluminum from a distributor, for example never sells for spot price.....why should lead? Kinda like farming.....the speculators have their game.... and the farmers have theirs. You need to understand the difference.

<EM>"The spot price or spot rate of a commodity, a security or a currency is the price that is quoted for immediate (spot) settlement (payment and delivery). Spot settlement is normally one or two business days from trade date. This is in contrast with the forward price established in a forward contract or futures contract, where contract terms (price) are set now, but delivery and payment will occur at a future date. Spot rates are estimated via the bootstrapping method, which uses prices of the securities currently trading in market, that is, from the cash or coupon curve. The result is the spot curve, which exists for each of the various classes of securities."</EM>

13. capvan

capvan Active Member

Just keep in mind that the tire shops will not be using lead weights much longer, if they even still do. Just had my tires switched over and it was all zinc for the new weights. When I asked to buy the old weights, I was told that the company (Tire Warehouse) required that used weights be turned over to a haz mat company and could not be sold.

I guess all of this came from the problem with small children nibbling on wheel weights they found by the side of the road. Big problem.

They said everything will be zinc from now on.

Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.