1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead Prices

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jon Reitz, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Lead is at 90 cents per pound this afternoon.

2. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

Wish the drop in lead prices would trickle back to the price of shot. Like to get some #6 to make some game loads.

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

Its a lot better that the $1.20 of s few weeks back. Lets hope if keeps going down.

Tom

4. SpeedyWho

SpeedyWho Active Member

I just bought a bunch of bags at $33 I hope I did the right thing. Its a game trying to buy at the right time, lead has done better than all of my stocks.

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I was told when the price of lead was at 45.6 cents a LB shot was 10 to 12 per bag. If or when it does get back down it will take a year for shot prices to drop.

6. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

When the price of Lead hit the bottom of the last decline Lead was $.46 a pound market price ... the price of shot was $22/$25 a bag at that price ... the market price had a gradual increase and then quickly went up to $1.20 a pound and a quick recent decline to $.90 ... at $.90 cents a pound a good price for Shot will be $35/$38 a bag ... At $1.20 material cost is $30 a bag ... add in Manuf. cost ... profit ... shipping to Dist. ... his profit ... shipping to dealer or Gun Club ... profit ... ???????

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

If a shot manufacturer signed a contract last October for 200 tons to be delivered each week for 12 months and 100 tons to be delivered at the spot market price each week for 12 months, it can take a long time for a spot price decline to be transfered to a decline in shot price.

Pat Ireland

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Lead can drop to 46 cents per LB but the co has to get rid of the lead they bought at higher prices. That takes time. Once they use up the high price lead and start buying the lead at the 46 cent price we are back in business.

9. oletymer

oletymer Member

If shot gets down to the low $20 range that is the time to buy a ton or two not a dozen bags.

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

It got down to less than 50 cents not too long ago and we never did see shot prices that reflected that price drop.

11. Jon Reitz

Lead is down to 88 cents a pound this afternoon, but everything else is down also.

12. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I paid 29 a bag for it in new york.

13. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

HC_John,

Where are you located?

I might have some #6 shot available depending on how much you are looking for.

Send me a PM

Dr. Honk

14. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

With an extra million out of work and Toyota trying to stay afloat shot will be down to .25cents before this is over. Won't make much difference though, nobody will be working anyway. I would say the smelters better be getting rid of it quick.

15. loop02

loop02 Member

The Toyota situation is nothing more than Obama Motors hurting their competition unfairly. How do you like your boy now?

16. shootman

shootman TS Member

Buying lead is almost as bad as buying gas. The year before the last year of Vandalia we bought shot at the Bottom Dollar for $12.00 a bag. It was 12.75/bag 12.00 if you bought 100 bags or more. Just a bit of trivia ,In 1964 my dad bought a new Chevy Impala convertable for 3,786.99. I remember when I started driving in 1968 gas was .28 cents/gallon. BOB

17. Jon Reitz

.87 per lb. this morning.

18. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Feb. 09 inventory was 50,000 tons as of today inventory is 160,ooo tons and building every day. It's the futures market thats driving up the cost Kitco has the charts on their site and the price is droping every day. The problem is what ChampionII said they know what we will pay so keep it high.

19. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The Producer Price (the cost of new lead) is $1.22 per pound. That equates to $30.48 per bag just for the lead.

When the Producer Price was $0.77 per pound back about a year ago shot could be had for $21.00 per bag.

Unless the commodities in general come back down we will not see $21.00 per bag shot again. We will probably have to wait for another recession to see shot that low again.

Jim Skeel

20. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

Cars will never be $3,000.00 again nor gas $0.28/gallon and shot will not go below $10.00/bag again. At least not in your lifetime. So get over it. Pat Ireland has it right. Shot and Ammo companies buy Lead like all commodities on contracts. When they buy high, they hope for a low market to offset the high. There's no Fantastic profits being made by these companies. Just look at their reported profits or their stock prices. They also have to process the raw lead, pay their employees, pay benefits etc.. and distribute it.

One of the big things we're overlooking is that the more money we print (and we're printing it very fast these days,without the gold to back it), the less our $ is worth. Weather you're basing the value on gold, lead, silver, copper, or frozen concentrated orange juice.

So this year, just like last year if lead drops below $25.00 a bag, get ready to buy a ton. (last year my suggestion was to buy at $20.00. When it hit $20.00, I bought a ton. I bought another ton at $21.75)

Remember the good 'ol days because history repeats itself but Think to the Future!

Shoot well, often and safely!
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.