1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead prices. WOW!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by doogiebarnes, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doogiebarnes

doogiebarnes TS Member

I saw Westcoast lead today for $31 a bag at Sportsman's Warehouse. They always have the best prices around.

I looked up the LME (London Metal Exchange, the stock market for some metals) and was speechless. $2020 per MT. 92 cents per pound!!!! That is $23 in RAW lead cost!! (at today's spot market prices)

Is there an end in sight? I just can't believe the BS about China and India making everything form lead to gas to bic pens go up in price.. Am I alone?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It's on the way up, the skies the limit. HMB

3. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

$29.99 at Gander Mountain today in Rochester, N.Y. I left it there. Larry Evans

4. Dutchboy

Dutchboy TS Member

LME reports in metric (long) tons (i.e. 2200 lbs per ton). FWIW, Dutch.

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

The demand is overseas ... if they can get $10 a pound overseas and only $5 a pound here the price will ... well there is your supply and demand.

6. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Largest users of lead in the us are batteries, and most of this lead is recylced from older batteries.
    Lot's of new car's are being made and sold in countries like China, and India, all need batteries, along with their nuclear programs that use tons of the stuff.
    Hope to see prices at least stabilize soon but I doubt it.

7. Dutchboy

Dutchboy TS Member

There is no appreciable amount of lead used in civilian nukes. They use concrete for shielding. The only lead in significant amounts in is the leaded glass that shields operators in re-processing facilities. 87% of all lead goes to car batteries. The second largest use USED to be CRT's (Cathode Ray Tubes, i.e. t.v. and computer screens). That is being very rapidly replaced by the use of LCD's. FWIW, Dutch.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

When I worked in Las Vegas, some of my buddies worked at the nuclear test site, they said hundreds of tons of lead shot was used to seal the off the hole? Hap

9. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

On the East Coast, West Coast Magnum shot is 29 bucks a bag (bought some today). Most of our lead goes to batteries and no, very little of that lead is recycled, most of it is brand new. Not a lot of lead mines, this is classic supply and demand.

10. grammie

grammie TS Member

Lead as a mineral in its natural state can be found in Smithsonite,,,In New Mexico is a lead mine,,,the purest form in the United States,,,it has been back filled and sealed awaiting a time when it is needed.....

AKA Grammie.....

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The demand is so great because the number of people driving cars in China doubles every three years. HMB

12. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Well, here is one reason that lead is so high priced!

Ivernia shuts lead mine as contamination probed
    ANDY HOFFMAN

Globe and Mail Update

Lead, a toxic metal used to make car batteries and bullets, became the latest commodity to take its turn in the spotlight Tuesday after a Canadian company shut down a mine that has been linked to a rash of bird deaths in Australia.

Toronto's Ivernia Inc. temporarily halted production at its Magellan lead mine in Western Australia amid a government probe into lead contamination in and around the port of Esperance, where the company's lead concentrate is shipped to customers in Asia.

The mine closing prompted traders to expect that the price of lead may test new all-time highs above $2,000 (U.S.) a tonne on the London Metal Exchange. Lead has soared 30 per cent this year on supply concerns and rising demand from China.

Esperance officials halted all lead shipments from the port on March 12 after testing by the Western Australian Department of Environment and Conservation found that lead poisoning may have caused the death of an estimated 4,000 birds in December and January.

Related to this article
    More company information
    Ivernia Inc.
    Follow this writer
    Add ANDY HOFFMAN to my e-mail alerts
    Latest Comments
    Comments are closed for this story | Send a letter to the editor
    “To say that the turn of events over the last three weeks has been disappointing would be an understatement,” said Alan De'ath, Ivernia's president and chief executive officer on a conference call.

Ivernia shares plunged 16.5 per cent on the Toronto Stock Exchange, losing 22 cents (Canadian) to close at $1.11. At one point, shares in the company, believed to be the only publicly traded pure-play lead miner, touched a low of 98 cents. Ivernia has a market capitalization of about $150-million.

Ivernia said it has laid off three-quarters of the mine's work force, keeping 30 workers on for maintenance and upkeep. It expects Magellan, which is said to contain roughly 3 per cent of the world's lead supply, will restart production in three or four months. The company said it will take that long to receive regulatory approvals to ship its lead concentrate under what it calls “alternate procedures.”

Testing on 411 human blood samples taken from those who live and work in the port town of Esperance has found seven cases of lead levels above normal. The state government's health department said the six adults and one child who were found with lead levels above the recommended level will not require treatment.

It is believed that lead dust was released as workers at the state-owned port handled the lead concentrate. Ivernia's concentrate is the only lead that is shipped from the port.

“The reviews in Esperance to determine how lead dust got into the environment are ongoing,” Mr. De'ath said.

According to the Department of Health, 86 rainwater tanks used by area residents to collect drinking water have been found to contain lead levels that exceed recommended levels.

The price of lead climbed $40 (U.S.) to $1,960 a tonne on the London Metal Exchange, a 2-per-cent gain. A strike at a lead mine in Peru added to supply worries.

The Magellan operation, which began producing in late 2005 and is located about 900 kilometres northeast of Perth, produced 62,300 tonnes of lead last year.

The company hopes to increase production to 100,000 tonnes, a level that would place Magellan among the world's top-five producing lead mines.

The temporary shutdown is likely to exacerbate a shortage of lead concentrate, which is processed into metal at smelting facilities. Lead demand outstripped production by 88,000 tonnes last year, according the British-based World Bureau of Metal Statistics.

“There isn't much spare concentrate available,” Giles Lloyd, an analyst with metals consultant CRU, said in an interview with Bloomberg News. London-based CRU is forecasting a deficit of 50,000 tonnes in the global lead market this year.

Hauxfan!

13. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Grammie - if you visit Wyoming, you will hear the same shit about oil wells that are currently labled "dry holes". Think about it a second, if there were valuable minerals that were easy to get, by george, someone would be getting them.

14. grammie

grammie TS Member

HaveGunWillTravel:

Now that just depends on what it cost to recover it!!! In some areas of Arizona are dormant gold mines,,ie Wickenburg,Az. But it is not profitable to open the mine unless Gold is above 800per oz....

Just because the ore is there,,,dosen't mean that a company can make money from it......

AKA Grammie....

15. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Just as soon as we give them the rest of what we got and that not to much anymore.

Oh yeah they would like to buy our trap guns to as we will not be needing them cause we cannot afford the lead to put throuh them.

16. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Well, I was just out wandering around today and found shot for $21.50 per bag at a little gun shop...I bought the 5 bags of 8's that they had left and was happy that I didn't have to resort to the horrid $29 a bag at the local Sportsmans Warehouse. Now just to find a place that has powder cheaper than the place I normally get it (Sportsmans).

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

In another month $29 a bag will look good. I was at Outdoor World last week and they had Lawrence magnum priced at $44.99 and Lawrence chilled shot at $39.99 a bag. Unbelieveable. HMB

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Just go to the drop zone of your local gun and scrap up a ton or two. HMB

19. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Yesterday I purchased 20 bags of Remington shot for $25 a bag. I have never paid that much for shot in my life. I was skeptical about the purchase; but as it appears this might have been a bargain. (At least for now) Ed

20. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

The sleeping giant has awakened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.