1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead Prices - Oil Prices

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by birdogs, Jun 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

It is interesting to note that although lead prices have fallen substantially, the prices of a bag of shot has not. The reason given are that the shot on dealers' shelves was made from lead at the higher price and that it will take time for the lower priced lead (shot) to reach the dealers.

How come when oil "futures" rise the effect at the gas pump is an immediate increase.

2. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

That would be because we are being royally screwed.

3. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

If we are beouing royally screwed, we are getting it BOTH ways.

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Not true, our current gas is based on much cheaper oil, brace yourself.

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

You are right shannon. Gas the other day on the board was like 3.55 a gallon. If you add the 48 cents a gallon federal and state tax and add the profits for transportation to the wholesaler, retailer and then the retailers profits it will be higher unless they can meld it in with some cheaper fuel.

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I fear that this is only the beginning. While the "environmentalists" diddle the Democrats (and some feckless Republicans), the fires are going out across America. This is a time when "cash is king". Why then would anyone in vest in a business or industry which has an energy cost component? Therefore jobs will decline and all citizens will be effected.

When truckers can no longer afford to carry such things as food stuffs, there will be large price increases and shortages. People will not be able to fill their cars to go to work or, if they can, they will not be able to afford much else.

I know I sound like Cassandra but unless something is done VERY SOON, this is the way it plays out. The Daniel Day George film, "There Will Be Blood" will be both historical and prophetic - AND oil will be the central theme in both.

I can envision civil unrest and worse. Carter told Americans that they should expect less; learn to do with less. Now the Democrats, in league with the environmentalists are delivering on his promise. I'm not ready to surrender but I seem to stand alone. I hear, "This is the year of the Democrats" and many people simply accept it. They put us here and have no plan to get us out other than "tighten your belt, drive less, eat less, etc.."

Samuel Adams was right and our next revolution is now overdue.

8. mike moncilovich

Birddogs, Birddogs, Tell the whole story, like it was Reagan who ran ads saying the people of the US wanted to much and had pigs running around simulating Americans in the early 80s' on the commercials. It was Slick Dick, Flub-a-Dubya's sidekick who said we don't pay enough for gas after his secret energy plan with the heads of the Texas Oil Cartel. Yes the liberals haven't helped the situation, but until we blame all of gov. and not just our political foes nothing will be accomplished for our benefit. I don't know about a revolution, but if the politicians allow the energy moguls continue to bring this nation to it's knees, there will be anarchy...Mike

9. oz

oz Active Member

the price of oil is set by the stock market so that the few can make a lot of money off the many. we get most of our oil from Canada...we are selling oil to china and japan.. fo figure? oz

10. flylta

flylta TS Member

Don't let go of your guns. When things get tight and we have to fight for our freedoms the gun will be back in the center of American history.

I like the idea of raising theprice on all of our exports, maybe we could trade a bushel or corn for a drum of oil, then the farm subsidies could stop also.

11. perga1

perga1 Active Member

According to the economic gurus we produce 60% of the oil we consume. If that is true why are we paying the Cartel price for our own oil?

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

There is another factor which effects oil futures and that is the margin cost. Right now a speculator needs to put up 5% of the value of a contract. There is minimal risk at this figure. Raise the margin to 50% and there will be much less "wild" speculation.

And Mike, I am old enough to have heard for my self Carter call for Americans to lower their expectations, that we consume to much and that those days were behind us. Please, no liberal revisionism!

13. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Lead mercantile prices are about 90 days ahead of purchases by shot makers. It will be at least six months before lead prices really start to go down.

The oil producers are no longer in charge of their oil prices. Oil futures, as well as some other commodities, are now included in some "mutual" funds. The fund managers are only interested in the present value of the contract, and not the actual oil itself. They'll hold these contracts in the funds until they have to sell them, and they'll do so at a profit. This is one of the reasons for oil prices staying up as they are now.

Best,
    Dennis

14. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

We do get royally screwed on the lead prices. When the price goes up the stores (SOME stores) immediately change and raise the prices on old stock. When the price goes down the price stays at the higher price until it's all sold out. I've seen this happen in Seattle area merchants.

15. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Hoggy, all merchants do that, whatever the item. Retail prices are raised on current inventory to cover the higher replacement costs. They are slow on the downside to help max out profits which might be lost on the upside.

Dennis

16. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Dennis,

You are correct about the mutual funds. The herdge funds also play in this scenario. I disagree with the last clause in your last post which says.
    "which might be lost on the upside." They do this to maximize profits REGARDLESS of what happens on the up side.

Ant way you look at it we are screwed AND if this goes on too long, it will plunge us into a long and deep recession.

Tony C

17. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Do you really think the oil companies would sell oil in this country for $60 a barrel, if the rest of the world will pay $130 for it! They're not stupid! C'mon people. Its a WORLD market price, and if we don't want it for that price, China will take all they can get!

18. mike moncilovich

BDog, you say your are old enough to remember Carter, but must be suffering from selective memory syndrone to forget reagan and Cheney...Mike
    PS: I'm a registered republican of Somerset Co. Pa.,but first and foremost an American and call them all as I see them equally. Have fun and shoot well.

19. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

perga1, preach on brother, I am with you on your statement about us producing 60% of our own oil. John

20. atashooter

atashooter Member

The wife and I got tired of the oil prices. We started drilling in the backyard. 15 feet away from the house, we struck it rich. Now as soon as I figure out the process of getting the toilet paper out of it, I'll be good to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.