1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LEAD PRICES going UP SOON?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by omahasportingsupply, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Don't shoot the messenger, but I called two wholesalers that I purchase from and neither would give me a price quote on lead until they find out their new cost factor. Their best GUESS, is that lead will cost me over $40 (wholesale) on Monday. I buy lead from these people on a regular basis and have current orders (and bills paid) with them. They told me that they are hearing from once a year customers who are coming out of the woodwork to lock in lead prices. I called a large retailer in Omaha NE. and they are charging $38.95 for lead and $49. for their cheapest shells. They won't hold the price unless you are at the cash register with pictures of green, dead, presidents. To some of you people, I have read that you are paying these prices already. It will be sticker shock for us also. Omaha

2. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Thanks for the "heads up".

3. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

I thought the price of lead was coming down.
    Now I am really confused.

4. nipper

nipper TS Member

i worked today for 3 hours looking for wheel weights, went into one shop that said a couple weeks ago they didnt have any,went back in today and loaded up at least three 5 gallon buckets at minimum cost and will soon turn this into 6 bags of home made shot, so even 70.00 a bag does not concern me. within the last month and half i have over 400 pounds of shot.

Bill

5. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

AMAZING!!!! China has 1/11 of the gross national product of us and average meanial wage is 23 cents (US equvalent)last data 2006 and the population near four times ours. How can they afford to buy all these minerals and oil, along with the escalades that GM is producing there (55,000),2007. I remember my grandfather showing me check stubs from his coal mining career ($.27) an hr. Before that they got paid in cash and by the ton. No, he couldn't afford an escalade. It is remarkable how they can stretch their currency. Can anyone tell me how this is done?

6. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

The price will be coming down soon. I just bought stock in a lead mining company. Whenever I buy stock their wares drop like a rock - their stock as well.

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Wal-Mart...

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    slowdp, quote: "The price will be coming down soon. I just bought stock in a lead mining company. Whenever I buy stock their wares drop like a rock - their stock as well."<br>
    <br>
    Thanks for your generous self-sacrifice!

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

slowdp From the trap shooters around the country THANKS

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Todays price is $1.49 a pound. HMB

11. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

The Chinese are still the biggest driver of lead prices. A story ran today, that Chinese smelters were holding down production in anticipation of changes in the export tax on lead from China. The rate may go from 10% to 15%.

However, overall lead prices are still on the decline. Today's price is down from the last two days.

For lead to get back to $50/25lbs, lead will have to go to 1.80 on the LME.

Right now, lead is being sold in stores based on its higher per-pound prices.

Best,
    Dennis

12. abiezer

abiezer Guest

I thought it was on the way down at $1.11lb in Jan.
    now it's shot back up.
    [​IMG]

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Dennis,

Take a look at the charts. The price of lead two days ago was $1.48 and today it closed at $1.48. Supply is low, demand is high. Which way do think the price is going to go. HMB

14. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I have all of these hours of Economics classes going to waste here. I thought that with lead shot being so high, I could buy reloaders cheaper, then fix them up on the days I can't shoot. When reloading starts again someday, I would be sitting on a gold mine. Have you seen the prices a rusty old MEC from an estate sale brings on Ebay? Did I mention that it has half of the pieces missing and the seller states that it works perfectly because it goes up and down? They all need serious cleaning or the rust would fall off! Only a few hundred dollars at the MEC site and you will have a like new loader! Then you will start saving thousand of dollars by reloading your own shells. IMHO Omaha

15. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Maybe we should all buy toys from China and melt them down for the lead! It may be cheaper. LOL. Mike

16. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

You beat me to it!

tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.