1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead prices going up again?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tburrey, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tburrey

tburrey Member

I just spoke with a friend of mine who I went to school with many years ago and works in the commodity markets tell me I ain't seen nothin yet when it comes to rising lead prices. Basically he was telling me that foreign markets like China etc. will be greatly increasing their demand for lead in the next couple of years. For a multitude of reasons. Not what I wanted to hear. I'm already paying $43 bucks a bag. Anyone else got any scoop on this? Tom

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

All natural resources rest upon the economic growth of all major superpower players. Slowdowns could burst the bubble. A major boom could do the opposite.

3. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Check the scrap lead prices. These have dropped significantly recently. Guns Unlimited had a thread for lead at $30. I have seen a couple such as of late.

I wish I could see the future, I would not care if lead was $100.@ bag

4. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

PBB...shells are already $10 a box, LOL.

I think what John is saying is that if he knew the future, he would have so much money it wouldn't matter what lead cost.

for example, if you can tell me the closing price of IBM stock for June 5, 2008 TODAY, I could retire....with more money than Crosus.

i have 110 bags of shot right now. if I could find it for $30, I'd buy 5 tons.

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Tom,

I'm not trying to be mean, but rather than put up a post like this, why not just google "lead prices" and study up some yourself. There are ample sites that will give you that info for free. Do you think he woiuld have told you the same thing 90 days ago?

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Lead is supposed to go from $38.75 per bag (now) to $35.00 next week.

Curt - Delaware

7. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Lead prices on the merc exchanges have fallen from a high of about $1.80/lb earlier this year, to about $.85/lb lately. Although not likely to drop to $20/25lb bag, it will mean significant drops.

Ammo prices were pretty much locked in when lead was $1.75/lb. Those prices will remain high until year's end, or ammo makers resupply.

Best,
    Dennis

8. dward

dward Member

All commodity prices have bounced around way beyond what normal supply and demand fundamentals would dictate, and it's driven by hedge fund speculation. $24 spring wheat a couple months ago is a perfect example. The CFTC is changing some of the rules related to hedge fund investing, and I'm hoping the changes will bring some normalcy back to the markets. The next 6 months should be interesting. If the funds pull their investments out of the commodity markets, prices will drop considerably.

Like they say you have to feed the bull to keep markets rising, and all you have to do is quit feeding for them to drop. Just think what will happen if there is a mass exodous of fund investment. The bull will have half his insides surgically removed.

Big Dans investment corner

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Lead is $.90 a pound this morning. HMB

10. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Lead prices have come down here in Ohio, shot is $ 30.00 paer bag and I saw shells at the Buckeye at the Cardinal Buckeye Classic last weekend, AA & STS $52.00 per flat & Rio Shells at $49.00 per flat both good buys.

Dennis DeVault

11. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

JBrooks - I like you. I wish more people would do some research before posting.

I believe you were going to contact me when you were going to be in the Phoenix area so we could meet and shoot together ?

I will be at Redlands for the zone shoot in July, will you be there?? If so look me up.

Tom Strunk

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Tom, I won't be in Phoenix long enough to shoot before July but I will be at Redlands and we should be able to match up then. I look forward to it.

13. tburrey

tburrey Member

JBrooks, thanks for the lead site it's very helpful. As for posting this thread I thought this was a discussion site where items pertaining to trapshooting could be posted. I guess if everyone researched before they posted there would not be a lot of posts would there? Thanks again. Tom

14. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Big Dan, I'm in your corner. That crazy bull is loose in the oil patch.

15. exnavy81

exnavy81 TS Member

I never thought 30 bucks a bag for shot would sound good. But wow I can't wait to get a few at that price!

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

China is undergoing an economic contraction due to high crude prices and the difficulty of transporting their "inexpensive" goods.

The transportation prices have increased to the point where profit is significantly decreased, which means world markets may not have as much chinese output as in the past.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

HM

17. Bomber61

Bomber61 Member

Jbrooks is my hero!!!!!!

Bomber

18. Baber

Baber TS Member

Connies Coponents has lead! Not! Been trying to buy some on their website for the last two months. They never have any.

TB

19. Cray

Cray Member

If it does, they will still keep the price high and blame it on the price of fuel. Cray

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Still plenty of high priced lead still in the pipeline. Look to August or September for some relief. Lawrence distributor cost is still around $34!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.