1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LEAD PRICES DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lumper, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lumper

lumper TS Member

Yeah ... right ... so far lead is down 22% from its high and will drop some more but if you actually expect to see lead shot prices to fall more than 10 or 15% your smokin dope and need to get sober and see the big picture.

Do you honestly think that the manufactures will say lets stop making as much money as we can and if our shot business drops off we will just make up for the that in all the other lead we produce and sell.

The price aint gonna drop all that much ... but it is nice that we still have hopes and dreams for us to think about.

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I bought shot in the late 70's for $18 a bag. It came down after that for several years.

3. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

High fuel prices increase the cost of lettuce, milk, lead and everything else.

The biggest single cost to a grain farmer is diesel fuel.

4. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

**smokerz, If oil prices are so high, how can we still import so much from china? If the cost of fuel doubles lettice and milk, what does it do to chinese stuff?? US made goods are not that much more are they? sam**

Yeah, sometimes US costs are waaaay more than Chinese costs. Most commodities - oil, metals, are pretty much the same price worldwide, but labor in China is less than 1/10th USA costs, so manufactured goods which have significant labor are cheaper from China even with the shipping.

We don't buy much in the way of low labor goods from China, lumber or coal, for example, but lots of textiles and consumer goods where labor is a major part of the cost.

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

some commodities are traded in U.S. dollars, such as oil and gold. The falling dollar has increased their price worldwide.

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Along with lead ... lets not forget Tripod that we are not the only consumers in the world of lead. This is the times of a global economy.

7. jrb

jrb Member

Lead prices will go down some because China is not able to put lead in everything now(toys etc. )...they are being caught!!! Hopefully will help reduce some....not sure how much though!!!

J. R. Brock

8. jrb

jrb Member

Lead prices will go down some because China is not able to put lead in everything now(toys etc. )...they are being caught!!! Hopefully will help reduce some....not sure how much though!!!

J. R. Brock

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

There may come a time when the use of lead will not be popular and the prices will decline.

But not in our lifetime.

Curt

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Now that spot price is down, raw price for 25 lbs is about $35 (down from a record spot price of $44.50/bag a couple weeks ago). My local supplier is selling it for $36.50 per bag plus tax (and was told it was holding right now). So lead has backed off 21% from its high a few weeks ago, but the price of shot has not decreased @ all??? I was planning on buying shot for next year shortly, but think i'll hold off and see where the price floor falls, and hope retail shot follows quickly. Sure went up quickly though, I remember multiple increases weekly, but haven't seen a decrease in almost a year.

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

My dealer only keeps a couple tons of shot on hand @ a time (which makes alot of sense to me), which is probably 2-3 weeks supply for them, and they get it right from the mfg (Eagle), so I might see the price drop quicker than some.

12. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Many of the commodity metals including lead is slowly declining. Much of it do to the slowing economy in the United States and China. This was discussed months ago on this thread. I stated that when China got closer to completing the Olympic Village we would see a slowdown in their building and Mfg. Now we will see a gradual decline in commodities. Shot & shell prices will slowly decline this spring and summer as the high price inventory depletes from the stores.

Rick

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The recent decline in the price of lead is due to profit taking. Soon the price will level off and then rise to new all time highs. Start collecting lead now, before it is too late, and all the lead is gone. HMB

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

They said that about gold in the eighties when it hit 1000, I bought in 2001 for $250.

One thing about a bull metal market - It can fall faster than it climbed in a big hurry, and can make a train wreck out of some "get rich quick" investers.

15. hreinke

hreinke TS Member

$44.50 a bag at Gander Mountian in saginaw,michigan,thats down $5.00 from last month

16. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Just send half are lawyers to China and allow them to sue everyone like here and cheap stuff from China would double in price Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.