1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead Price Going Down?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Unsingle, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Saw this on another forum:

NEW YORK: Prices of lead, the best-performing commodity in 2007, have peaked and may plummet for the rest of the year, according to analysts. A supply squeeze that doubled prices will ease by the end of the year, JPMorgan Chase and UBS said.

A British refinery run by Xstrata is increasing shipments, and companies are recycling more of the metal. Doe Run Resources, a major U.S. refiner, plan to resume full production this month after an explosion on July 13 cut production at its smelter in Missouri. Ivernia plans to resume exports from Australia.

"The market has the potential to collapse," said Jon Bergtheil, the head of global metals strategy in London with JPMorgan. "There's a large amount of supply coming on."

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/le...ge.html#60days

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Does this mean the sky isn't falling?

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

If it falls I feel sorry for all those that just recently stocked up so heavily.

4. atashooter

atashooter Member

I'd like to see the price fall " like a block of lead"

5. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

As soon as I buy my shotmaker prices will fall to record lows, making it cheaper to just buy factory shot.LOL

6. atashooter

atashooter Member

JBM,... I heard that. That's why I've held off buying one. My luck is like yours.

7. BMC

BMC Member

I'm betting that Jon B guy is a shotgunner:)

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

You can thank me for the drop in lead prices. I went last week to Northeast Alabama and purchased a Stewart better shot maker. Oh well I will go ahead with building my smelter case just in case. Jackie B

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

Well I hope you 2 buy a shotmaker today ... that way lead will drop like a lead ingot and shell prices will hopefully be cheap again very soon.

10. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

About a week ago Kramer put a buy on Johnson Controls, which makes Interstate Batteries. His take is that the company is being squeezed by the price of lead The stock price is hurting now, but when lead prices decline the profits and stock pricee will be much improved.

11. grammie

grammie TS Member

Jesus guys!!!!!!! Lead is a "commodity",,,same as oil!!!!!

Its price is based not so much on "demand",,,but "cost to recover"!!!! As long as fuel prices,,,electrical prices,,continue to rise,,,the cost to recover lead will also rise!!!!

As a commodity,,it is subject to wild price flucuations,,just the same as an early frost in Florida will affect the price of a tanker full of orange juice!!!! or----------an early hurricane that wipes out "cane suger" production,,,coffee,,cocoa,,all is effected!!!!

But,,,,,while it is normal for an "up down" sequence,,,the price will continue to "trend upward" as "inflationary pressures" increase!!!!

We are moving unto a "new plateau" of pricing,,,,another step up,,,as food prices just now begin to reflect the cost of the fuel to process,,haul,,store,,food products!!!!

So while you will see price fluxuations,,,up/down,,,the trend will definatly be "up" over time!!!!

China right now is about where the american people were in 1964!!!! I don't mean technology wise,,,I mean from an "economic stand-point"!!!! We have yet to see a dog in every pot,,,and a car in every garage,,but that is coming over the next 20 years!!!! We have only just begun to feel the natural resources that are being funneled to China to sustain their growth,,,,it will increase as their economy simply explodes as ship after ship full of products INCLUDING "FOOD IMPORTS" continue to flood the U.S. market!!!!!

You must look ahead,,,,"Green" is going to be the "IN" thing,,,,,and rising prices for all products is going to "trend" upwards,,,,it has too!!!!

You cannot pay an american 20 dollars per hour to harvest an apple!!!! We are living in a 20 per hour society,,,just to pay the bills,,put food on the table,,,,We have already become a nation that depends on day-care to raise the kids,,because it takes two just to get by......

How many times have you seen a "power company" give back their approved rate increase???? How many times have you seen a "shell company" give back 1st a 15% increase,,,,and then give back another 23% increase in the same year????

But in the same breath,,,how many companies have you seen cancel their retirment plans???? How many have offered "by-outs" to more senior employees,,so they can balance the books by getting rid of the "higher paid" personal????

How many have seen wages or their very jobs dis-appear to people that are not americans???? It wasen't because they wanted to expand!!!! It was because it was getting to be "too expensive" to keep you!!!!! But at the same time,,all prices are headed UUUUPPPPPP......

Don't bet on the short term when the long term is screaming to be looked at....

AKA Grammie............

12. BMC

BMC Member

Thanks Grammie, now I feel really sad.

13. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Well there goes all my profits. 30 bags of $25 lead, I was planning on a nice 100% profit when it hit $50/bag. Oh well, just my luck, guess I'll have to shoot it up instead.

14. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I vow here and now that if it ever hits $20 dollars again I'm buying 2 tons.

15. C1

C1 Member

Geez john (grammie)!! How do you get up in the morning?? I haven't see so much doom and gloom since I visited my aunt in the nursing home. Have you ever thought about just finding a solid bridge abutment and taking a good run? Your wife must be a saint to put up with that attitude each day.

Just my opinion, and now you can flame back.

Gary

16. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Grammie, I have read a number of your posts but this may be one of your best ever. As you point out, the world is changing and dragging our feet won't prevent it from happening. The world is changing and probably never be the same as we know it. I have watched these same changes take hold in several different countries and while it may shock the culture, it is coming ready or not. IMHO Omaha

17. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Once again Mr.Gloom & Doom oom raises his ugly head and spreads his nonsense to the other readers. I recently spoke to a President of a large metal recycler in Milwaukee. He told me six months ago that lead would flatten out and that the price of this commodity would slowly fall. If you are familiar with the economic theory of "Says"..supply creates it own demand. There are many drivers to the cost of metals but like any commodity the prices shift upwards and the demand declines and finally the commodity price comes down. We have seen this pattern in the past with gold, silver and even oil.

In all honesty, I would not expect to see a huge price shift in shot or shells any time soon. As the commodity falls all inventories of shot has to be carried or used before the MFG can start dropping their costs. Ultimately, we will see a dcline in shot. The President of this metals company says.."lead shot will not likely drop much below $20. He does think when it bottoms out we should be able to purchase it for around $16 to $18 in the next eighteen months."

Rick Brohmer

18. grammie

grammie TS Member

C1:

You of course are entitled to your opinion.....

But-----------look at prices today,,,or better yet,,,ask your wife what is going on at the market!!!!

Ask why your electrical rates keep rising????

And then ask yourself,,,why are the bankruptcy rates at all time highs????

And then ask yourself,,,,why are we spending two billion dollars per week,,8 billion dollars per month on a war,,,but our borders are being overrun???

If illegals bring about lower costs for business,,,,Why are prices steadily rising????

And then ask yourself,,,,How will we pay for this----the war,,,,and then the re-building of Iraq which will be more than the two billion per week???

Only "one-way"!!!!! Higher taxes!!!!

And since the american people are sick of the republican party and george bush,,,they sure as hell won't elect Dick Cheney!!!!!!! Just who does that leave????? of course the Democrats!!!! And what does a Democratic Presidency do to pay the bills??? Again,,only one choice,,,they raise taxes!!!! And this one,,,,this one will be the biggest increase in history!!!!!!!! Add it up,,if you can face it!!!!

You never thought you would see the price for a hundred targets get to more than 30 dollars per hundred---did you???? You never thought another country could outproduce America did you???? And I'll bet you never thought that a country that consumes natural resources on the level of the United States could ever be equaled,,did you???

Throw in the end of farm subsides,,,,the FDA labeling standards,,,the new trade agreements you don't know about yet,,,,Well---the writing is there...

You should wonder why the prices are increasing as the "cost of producing" drops because of outsourcing.........

But all these things dis-appear when you wear the right shade of glasses...

AKA Grammie.........

19. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Time to "short" Lead. Short memories - remember Silver?

Jay

20. atashooter

atashooter Member

I tried the Chinese shot. The pellets weren't round .... they were like a football. But if you pull the outsides of your eyes real hard, they look round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.