1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead Poison

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Paladin, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

After reloading 15,000 to 17,000 rounds a year for three years, I asked my doctor for a blood test for lead content with my pre-physical lab tests. It came back perfectly normal. This September, two years later, I have asked for another blood test for lead as part of my annual physical. I'll post the results after that.

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

If you use common sense and clean up after reloading, you will have no trouble.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The greatest risk of lead poisoning comes from shooting in poorly ventlated indoor ranges. It results not from the lead bullets but, from the lead used in the primers. It is transmitted to the shooter by breathing in the fumes from the fired primers.

The handling of lead bullets and lead shot is not a major cause of lead poisoning. One reason being the bullets are coated with wax and the shot is coated with graphite which limits your contact with the lead. HMB

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Chuck Norris is so tough...........he uses lead shot instead of sugar on his cereal.....

Now that's tough!

Hauxfan!

5. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I have been shooting for year and reloading. In the last 3 years I have made my own shot. I have literally, made over ten tons of shot and trust me thats alot of handling. I do get a blood test every six months with out fail. Everything comes back normal. I do however caustion the handling of lead and the proper PPE (Persoanl Pertection Equipment) and please do wash hands after you have handled it.

6. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

When I shot smallbore rifle and pistol at the indoor range it was a concern because of the lead hitting the steel plate backstop and causeing the spay. But I dont see a problem with reloading shot shells because your dumping from a bag to your shot tube and not touching it, as you wound be if you were loading lead SWC or wadcutters for pistol shooting.
    But get tested it cant hurt and will give you and your family a piece of mind, Family life is important too!

7. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The article on the NVGC website has some discussion on the subject.

8. larryjk

larryjk Member

A few years ago, some of our locals were trying to shut down the indoor range at the recreation center so they could turn it into a different use. They had EPA test the air and no problems were found due to a very efficient air exchanging system. All of the shooters had their blood tested. The group that had the highest lead levels were the automobile mechanics, along with two fellows who cast bullets commercially and didn't use the right procedures. Since I am into gun actions all the time, cleaning them, I feared I might have a problem. No Sweat. I wash my hands often, with cold water first (that doesn't open your pores) and then with warm water. I was also takiing large quantities of vitamin C and was told by my MD that it had been shown that babies getting vitamin C shed lead.
    (1) Don't breathe the fumes from lead.
    (2) Wash your hands often, using cold water and soap first.
    (3) Don't eat sandwiches with your hands before washing.
    (4) Take vitamin C.

9. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

There are numerous things in this world that will kill you, lead being one of them.

Two ways it will do you in, one: you are so hungry you eat it! two: someone sends you a projectile with a lot for force behind it!

Understand the souce of where the information on lead come from, science: who don't know it all! the media who never investigate facts! and our government who run on an agenda!

Lead is a natural substance and I don't fear it except in the 2 forms stated above!

10. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I can't count all the times I have bitten down on a lead fishing sinker or eaten birds that had lead shot in them and do all the above, Reloading etc. and I am still here,So just be carefull and don't do anything stupid!!

11. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Chuck Norris is so tough, he got killed by Bruce Lee...wait...
    -Trappy

12. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I have friends call me and ask If I can give either their cat or dog a lead vitamin!

I say, Sure! its only a 2 cent pill!

My mistake, todays price its 4 cents now!

13. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Missed some,Sounds like you didn't miss that one!!!

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Hey Timberfaller, the most common and deadliest to humans route for lead entry into the blood stream is through inhalation. Lead oxide, lead carbonate and powdered elemental lead are the main culprits.

Now go back to shooting cats and dogs you ignorant he man.

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ingesting metallic lead pellets (e.g. as a result of eating game bird meat) is highly unlikely to cause any problem.

This too, shall pass.

Waterfowl have a problem with lead since their gizzard pulverizes the metal, and it is more likely to be absorbed into their body.

16. Hauxfan

Shootlow, just wait until you run across SuperSquirel.

I heard he's looking for you now. At least I think so.......he said he was looking for a big nut and I'm just assuming it's you.....lol lol

[​IMG]

Hauxfan!

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Lead styphnate is the explosive used in primers, when ignited the fumes when inhaled is one of the main causes of lead poisoning in humans. HMB

18. Hauxfan

Shootlow, I thought the correct name for them was "tree rats"?

Hauxfan!

19. abiezer

abiezer Guest

Ok,
    i think i got this straight,
    If you ingest a lead pellet from a game bird,the pellet passes thru the
    acidic stomach with all the digestive enzymes,into the small intestine that's
    designed to absorb things into the body,you'll be fine..
    But if you,touch some lead shot,lead bullets,etc.,the large lead molecules will immediately leach through your skin,and you'll be poisoned.
    Makes perfect sense to me >>>???

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I think you should work on your reading comprehension skills. And don't eat the lead. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can you get lead poising from trap shooting

can you use lead shooting trap

how dangerjous is lead in shooting

lead from trap shooting

lead shot into streams at my trap shooting range

leads in trap shooting

trap shooting lead

trap shooting lead poisoning