1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead/Plastic Bore Fouling

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FNG, May 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FNG

FNG Member

I had been seeing what I thought was plastic fouling in my bores and it took a good bit of effort to scrub it out. I was advised to switch from CB wads to Downrange. I have noticed that the wad seating/powder drop tube seems to catch the edge of one of the petals on the DR wads much more often that it did with the CBs and some shot ends up outside the shot cup petals. I'm loading Federal hulls, Fed 209A primers, 18 gr. Clay Dot, 1 oz #8 shot, CB-2100 or DRFO wads.
    I thought of the following:
    -With shot outside the shot cup, what are the chances of lead fouling in the
    bores ?
    -How would lead fouling in the bores look different than plastic fouling ?

Thanks

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You will see shiny metallic streaks from the lead. I don't really understand whats going on with your reloading set up but you don't want folded wad petals. The Down Range wads that I am use to getting are not in the least prone to this so you got me curious.

The plastic fouling will come right out with minimal scrubbing if you use a solvent like Ed's Red or Acetone or Mineral Spirits. The lead might be a bit more tenacious but it won't really hurt anything either.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Why don't you polish the end of the drop tube? HMB

4. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

hmb: How will that help?

5. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I have had the same problem with certain wads loading on my 800B.

Some Downrange wads don't work as you described.

All Claybusters seem to work well.

Regards.....Gerald

6. FNG

FNG Member

The petals on the DR wads seem to be just a bit thicker/stiffer than the CBs. I'm loading on a Spolar Gold Hydraulic. Looking through the bag of new DR wads, some of the petals seem to be already bent inward and I'm thinking that's what is causing them to catch on the shot drop tube. Any suggestions other than a wad inspection each time I put one in the wad carrier ? Maybe just going back to CB wads and living with the plastic deposits in my barrels.

Thanks

7. pulllit

pulllit Member

My last two cases of DownRange XL-1 neon green wads have a lot of bent/folded over petals that get caught by the shot drop tube (Spolar) allowing shot behind the petal. Maybe the wads were bagged too warm ?? I have changed to the Claybuster AA clone and no more bent petals. I noticed that the wad petals on the Claybuster have a stiffener molded into each petal. Maybe DownRange should look at the design of the CB AA clone and improve their product.

View attachment 189703

8. FNG

FNG Member

Thanks pullit; that's exactly what my DRFO wads look like !

9. pulllit

pulllit Member

FNG,

I checked the petal thickness on a handful of my Downrange
    XL-1 wads and found that some of the folded over petals were .008 - .010 thinner than the other three petals which ran .025 - .027 (mould #'s 7 - 9 - 10)

On the XL-1 wads with no folded over petals all four were the same thickness +/- a couple thousandths from .025

Check your DRFO's and see if you have the same results.

10. willing

willing Member

Guys If the petals are a problem, just put them in a bag or pillow case and then put them in the dryer for 10 min at medium heat.

Bill

11. FNG

FNG Member

I measured the petals on ten normal wads and ten wads with bent petals; total of 80 petals. (It's nice to be mostly retired and have the time to play with numbers and shooting stuff!)
    -Normal wads: Max deviation on any one wad = .009; mean deviation = .0049
    -Bent Wads: Max deviation on any one wad = .006; mean deviation = .0044
    -Mean thickness for all petals = .0281
    I didn't find a significant deviation among the bent petals or across the straight petals. Then I took the ten bent wads and followed "willing"s suggestion and it works great ! They all came out of the dryer with straight petals. Now if only they don't produce the same plastic deposits in my barrels !

Thanks to all.

12. steve66

steve66 TS Member

Right after your last round of clays & before you pack up for the day, Coat the inside of your very warm barrel with WD-40 Let it sit in the barrel for 1 hr or so (till you get home and use a tornado brush a few times. This should easily remove the plastic fouling. Then continue with what ever cleaning you normally do. Steve

13. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I switched from CB a couple of years ago because of plastic buildup. Have not seen any of this buildup with DR. I have a bucket next to my loader and when I pick up a distorted wad, I just drop it into the bucket and later do the dryer trick. I find this distortion in most all brands of wads. Temperature and storage seem to be the cause. I do not have to load so fast that this is an issue. Bill

14. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I'm with pullit on this one, (tried DR products 1 time), problems went away when I went back to CBs or OEMs, no more odd sounding-feeling loads & plastic fouling also reduced, fewer deformed petals etc. I use TGTs or clones of the TGT from CB in STS & GC hulls 7\8 oz mostly a few 1 oz, don't have much experience with other hulls. Ross Puls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.