1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead P:rices Up Again Today <---Hit 1.41 lb.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by grammie, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grammie

grammie TS Member

I have been asking about that same question for several years now,,,"how many targets will you shoot when shells are 10.00/bx and targets are 30.00 per/hundred"!!!!

AKA Grammie..........

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

The sky is not falling yet.... I firmly believe that natural economic forces will resolve the problem. When a product like this goes nuts someone will find another supply. It may take awhile but it will happen. We will probably not see 20 cent a pound lead again but we will probably see 50 cents but it might take a year or two.

TB

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Buy stock in metals.

4. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

shannon391

Do you mean that I should sell my oil stocks?? They are doing sooooo good now LOL.

I gave up trying to beat them. Joining them is a lot more rewarding. I can still complain about the price of gas but then I think about retirement and hand it over knowing I am paying myself in the long run.

But you are right buy what is going to make you money if the idea is to increase your holdings.

Rock

Jim

5. joshif

joshif TS Member

A friend brought up this question. How come the Chinese and whoever else buying lead don't buy Spanish lead and Italian lead? Their shells are cheaper than our big 3 sell and they have to be shipped over here.Is American lead better? Making the shot and our shells more expensive? If the Chinese are sucking up the worlds lead Rio's etc. would not be so cheap, right? They were always the same percentage(or close to) cheaper than American shells so I guess that their lead isn't being bought by the Chinese and they can give us a break. Yeah,Right. They are our friends. The F*&king Spanish pulled out of Iraq and left OUR boys to die and get maimed and you cheap as***oles buy their products.**** You!

6. 333t

333t Member

If you think lead shot is expensive, take a look at lead fishing sinkers. A store chain in Oregon is selling shot for about $30.00 per 25lb. bag ($1.20 lb.) but fishing sinkers average about $4.50 per lb. This is an average per pound price for the larger 4oz and up cast lead sinkers. Most are stamped "China". Makes shot look like a bargain at $1.20 lb.

I agree with TB. When commodity metals prices go through the roof like they are now, they generally come back down after a time. These spikes have occurred many times in the past for different reasons. I hope history repeats itself again.

Phil

7. joshif

joshif TS Member

Good point. That may answer my friends question.

8. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Get the lead out of your ass. i wonder if that applies now? if prices get to high i will melt down my lead boots? lol

9. sherpa

sherpa TS Member

$40.00 for 25# @ bass pro.

10. MX3SBOY

MX3SBOY TS Member

11. duke76

duke76 Member

now its 1.50

12. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

I put this on another thread but I'll say it again. Lead has gone up 8x in the last year. Do the math, in a year when this high priced lead is actually being used, your car batter could be $350-$450 by next year. It's been going up about $100 per day in the last few weeks and it'll keep going for a while probably. I think the market will adjust itself when something like car batteries are $400 or more.

13. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

There's about 20# of lead in a car battery. Do the math. they won't be $400.

14. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

Well, let's see, if the battery only has about 20# of lead at .20 per lb like it was a year ago and the battery cost $60 then what makes you think it's not going to go up in price accordingly with the cost of lead? I'm pretty sure the battery companies aren't going just let the price of the battery sit at the same level and cut profits. A little marketing sense would go a long way in understanding this one.

15. Push

Push TS Member

Speaking of batteries, remember when the junk yards paid $2.oo for each battery you turned in? What did they do with them? Now you must pay to recycle them. Is the lead in them reused?

Push

16. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

" A little marketing sense would go a long way in understanding this one."

You're correct about that. The cost of lead in a battery will add $20 to the raw materials cost. Manufacturing, distribution, advertising, profit margins will remain the same. A battery which cost $60 at $.40 lead will go up to $80 at $1.40 lead. That will produce the same per battery profit for the mfr and retailer.

Or do you think the cost of shells will go up 8X - $45/box trap loads? LOL

17. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

"Well, let's see, if the battery only has about 20# of lead at .20 per lb like it was a year ago"

$.20 a year ago? Where did you get that? Can't you see the chart hairy posted? It was $.48 a year ago. LOL

18. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Pretty soon kids will be making a fortune stealing lead wheel weights off of cars.lol

19. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Pretty soon kids will be making a fortune stealing lead wheel weights off of cars.lol

20. Wayne In ny

Wayne In ny TS Member

What is going to happen to all of the gun clubs when everyone cuts back on practice?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.