1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead Melting Mold Questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by superump, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superump

superump TS Member

Want to start melting lead and making one pound ingots and casting my own bullets. What are the best molds for the best prices? And where or who has the best prices on these molds so I can order them?

2. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I guess it would depend on your melting pot. I am useing a big steel pot and turkey fryer and am able to use small cast iron skillet ash trays I found from scrap. I would like to find a cast iron miffin tin.

Jerry Lewis

3. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

I use a stick type muffin pan I got at a flea market, cast iron and works good, E-bay always has some good bullet molds on and even an ingot mold or two, I find I need two ingot molds if I am reducing a large amount of lead.

Have fun its a good hobby.

Rick

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I have a large lead casting furnace that I've advertised on here before. It's large enough to be used in production. Shipping would be expensive. Was trying for a FTF sale in the PNW.

5. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I use a heavy duty Aluminum Biscuit pan for the mould and a Turkey fryer for the heat. I now use a 20lb cast iron plumbers furnace pot. The ingots drop free from the pan as soon as it is inverted which you do about 10 seconds after you pour the last hole full. The Stainless Gravy Ladel picks up enough lead to completely fill each cavity in the pan in one swipe.

I started out on my kitchen stove with a 5lb pot,(ejected by wife) then moved to a single burner Coleman stove with a 10lb pot, then to the turkey fryer with the 20lb pot.

To give you an idea of the difference in production, with the Coleman stove and 10lb pot I was able to process about 1ea, 5 gallon can of wheel weights in one 8 hr day.

With the turkey fryer I am now able to do 10ea! 5 gallon cans in one 5 hr day! which yeilded 411 ingots of approximately 2 lbs each.

Heres some pics of the tools I use, you've seen all of them at your house. The biscuit pan and ladel were purchased from a restaurant supply for about $10, and I paid $2 for the big lead pot at a garage sale. The turkey fryers are $39.95 or less at any of the big box stores, and since you won't be contaminating the big aluminum pot they come with, you can still use it for cooking food too. I was origianlly looking for a plumbers furnace but they are getting harder to find in good condition and they really can't hold a candle to a turket fryer for heat output or initial cost anyway.

You will get @25-28ea 250gr bullets or @16ea 400gr bullets out of a pound of lead. There is about 10,000 .44cal bullets laying on the ground infront of the garage in that pic of the ingots. Not bad for 1 days work smelting the wheel weights. It will probably take a little longer to cast all the bullets. I will be doing a big run over the christmas and new years weekends.

Right now I cast several types of 200-300gr .44 cal bullets, 300 and 400 gr .45 cal rifle bullets, 160 and 200 gr .30 cal rifle bullets. For moulds, I use Lyman, RCBS, Lachmiller, Lee, and a few others too. All make very good projectiles! Try to buy new ones if you can, and take good care of them(soak in oil after use). They will last forever if taken care of. All are available from Midway USA or thru others. I look at moulds at gunshows but seldom find what I'm looking for, and condition wise, if it ain't perfect, it won't make good bullets. Know what you're looking at! Do your homework!

10,000 bullets will also last a long time.

I don't cast bullets for my .40S&W and .45ACP guns as Copper Plated lead bullets work much better in Glocks. I paid $47.00 for 500 165gr .40cal bullets yesterday at Phillips Wholesale in Covina CA, and I bought 500 200gr SWC .45 cal plated bullets at the local gun show last week for $50. For as fast as these get shot up it wouldn't pay to cast manually. With a Magma machine it's another story, but it's hard to justify the cost of one of those machines and a Star sizer unless you are going commercial.

Brian: Don't sell that lead pot! You'll never find another one like that, and you WILL regret selling it. It costs nothing to store it until you need it. I've had those lead pots of mine since 1975! and they will out live me by 100 years easy! I use them maybe once every 2-3 years. They are currently preventing my garage from being blown away.(Heavy Metal, good!)

Randy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I use Cast Iron Corn muffin trays. You can buy them cheap on e-bay.

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Lee that has 4 l lb work the best Midway if you are going to sell ---muffies take to long to melt

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Cast iron muffin tins only. Get two of them if you can because they will get hot and fast. I got mine at an antique store. A flee market will also be a good place.

9. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I use an RCBS Pro-melt to melt the lead in and I have an RCBS ingot mold that makes 4 nice ingots--with wheel weight metal they weigh about 1 pound each.

I used a cast iron muffin tin before I got the ingot mold. I like the ingot mold much better.

As to bullett molds, I am partial to Lyman either two or four cavity molds.

I have molds for several different .38's; .32; .44 and .45. (All of this reminds me I need to get rid of some of my non-paying duties with several organizations and get back to molding bullets and shooting them!!).

Allen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.