1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead is Down Again

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by larryjk, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryjk

larryjk Member

The market price for a metric ton of lead was $881; that is 40 cents a pound. It jumps a little on occasion, but the general trend is down. The big question!!! Will it go below $600 a ton, the old standaard?

2. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

As a famous man once said "It's the economy stupid" (not calling anybody stupid) Nobody is buying much of anything now of days. And that goes for China too.

The known forces of supply and demand kick in when not hampered or screwed with by government.

The need for lead like most other metals are way down.

Shot will come down to the level and the demand for it will set the price.

Rock

Jim

3. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Lead is down but I noticed $1.00 increase at Dick's for 45 acp 50 round boxes; go figure that. Does anyone think shot will get below $15.00 (Lawrence or similar brand) anytime soon? Darrell

4. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

In December of '02 it was $450 a metric ton (2200#) and Remington shot was selling for $12 a bag.

71% of world consumption is for making lead acid batteries. Ammunition consumes 6% of it. It would not surprise me if raw lead drops to '02 prices again, maybe even lower.

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Lower.....

Curt

6. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html

A good site to bookmark.

7. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

I'm with Joe, if it hits $12 a bag I'll buy a couple tons.

Jim

8. bigk

bigk TS Member

Gentlemen,Happy Christmas to you all.
    I DONT CARE WHO I OFFEND BY CALLING IT CHRISTMAS.For others you can have your Xmas,Holiday or whatever.
    Now as concerns the price of lead.It has nothing to do with supply and demand.This past few years we have all seen the worst side of mankind at work,GREED.Speculators forced up the price of lead and everything else,now it is our turn and our childrens to pay for their greed.

9. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Won't mind humping them $12 bags a bit. Don't have a basement, though.

I'm thinking a shot pyramid in the garage would be just the ticket.

The real problem's going to be deciding on two tons of 7 1/2, or a ton each of 7 1/2 and 8s.

Jim

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I can buy clean lead for.07 cents per pound. But I don't have a Middleton Shot maker. There is a lot of work to make your own shot, Shot is at $25.00 per bag in my area now.

11. REA

REA TS Member

What goes up, must come down. The system is collapsing. I can see shot getting back down to $10, maybe less due to supply and demand. It is possible that only a few will be able to buy it at any price. I think they call it a depression. I hope not, but it sure looks that way.

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

REA,

I think you are correct, bags of rice might be the prudent choice.

13. brownie20

brownie20 TS Member

where are you buying shot at for 25.00 a bag dr.longshot

14. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Im for a tn of 8's and a ton of 8 1/2's

15. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

cac associates in pennsylvania for 25.95 a bag of anything you want.

16. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

REA I have to agree with you.We may not be able to buy it at $2.00 a bag.
    I bought two tons four years ago and a pretty good amount of new shells.

For now I am good for at least another year.

Bo

17. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

you all have to remember something. The store will sell the lead shot that they have first at the high price before ordering the new shot at the low price. Would you want to sell the shot for a lose?

18. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Why not sell for a loss. I called to check on the price of 10 bags of shot and the availability. When I went to pick in up I was told they could not sell it to me for the price quoted as it would cost more to replace it. I told him to check with the manager as I had driven a ways to pick it up. He came back and said he could not honer the price they had given me.

I then told him I did not want him loosing any money and would not buy the 10 bags of shot at the increased price. Of course I did not buy the 8 pounds of powder and the wads I needed to go with the shot. They would still have made a profit on the shot if they had honored the price given me and also made profit on the powder and wads.

Good thing I had plenty of cases of shells made up and I had cut back on my shooting.

Now I can buy shot for less than I was willing to pay then. I will not be buying it from them. Go figure.Ray.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.