1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead ingot making question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jornski, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jornski

Jornski TS Member

I do not have shot maker yet ( using up factory shot first) 3 Questions while melting my wheel weights my ingots are coming out with a pretty swirled purple layer on top ANY IDEAS? Next bought some reclaimed shot and it had a lot of rock in it can I melt it down and mix with wheel weights or just use straight? I have about 750 pounds saved up. How much should I pay for tire weights a pound? Thanks John

2. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

need to flux and also sounds like you have a lot of stick ons in there they are pure lead reclaim is ok mixed just flux in price is what YOUR market is call a scrap yard and ask what they pay for lead then offer a tire guy 5 cent more a lb a 5gal bucket is about 150lb+ rick

3. Jornski

Jornski TS Member

What do you suggest for flux?

4. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

You just might have to much heat. Put your lead in the pot and melt it. Put your flux or what I use wax in the lead and letit do its job. You then scrap the top layer to get the trash off the top.That will take the color off the top with the trash. You then pour the lead in the mold's. You should start to make shot now before you run out of the bag shoot. You don't want to need the shot and not have it made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.