1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead in my butt?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

When comparing one of the K-guns to my BT99 I noticed that there seemed to be a significant amount of weight in the butt stock and the balance shifted rearward. I added about 6 ounces of lead/steel inside the BT99 stock and I notice an improvement in "feel" as well as reduced perceived recoil. I'd like to add more weight but I'm out of space inside the stock. I'm wondering about adding weight between the raised comb and the rest of the stock. First thought was lead washers, but then got the idea of sheets of lead cut to the shape of the hardware, with two holes for the posts. I did a search for lead sheets and lead weights on TS.com, but struck out.

1. Is there something wrong with my thinking about weights at the rear of my stock?

2. Where might I locate sheets of lead about an inch wide?

Larry Frieders

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I used sheet lead a lot in my muzzleloading days - used to get it from plumbing supply warehouses, but don't know if it's still available. I have some around and if you do try this be advised that the lead eventually gets a powdery oxidized like coating on it and looks really messy. You want to add more weight to the back end of your BT 99? When I added a RAD II to mine I had the opposite problem - balance point shifted to the rear and the gun felt "whippy" I bought a GRACO bbl weight kit, hung 6 oz about 1.5 inches ahead of the forearm and it balances perfect -like the added weight too.

rm

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Self-adhesive lead tape.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEAD-TAPE-FOR-BACK-WEIGHT-GOLF-TENNIS-1-2-W-50-L-/221012516998?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33755f6086

4. mopar499

mopar499 Member

tire store lead stick on weights hope that helps

5. AEP

AEP Member

I added weight to the butt stock for my wife. I found if I cut the lead into small little squares I could get quite-a-bit more into the stock. I had up to 12 ounces at one point. I cut my squares about 3/8 x 3/8. 1/4 x 1/4 would be better at filling the voids.

Makes a big difference in recoil.

Andy

6. RobPete

RobPete Member

take a spade bit and open up the stock bolt hole. You can then add a recoil reducer or make your own(i melt down lead and fill a piece of copper pipe). Be very careful of drilling too far. You can always drill further, but you can't add wood back on(easily)!

Also, make sure you place a buffer between the weight and the stock bolt. This will preven the force of the recoil from lodging the weight in the stock. I use a piece of rubber hose...about an eight to a quarter inch. Using this method, you can easily add a pound or so to the stock. I've done it to a few guns in the past, including an XT. Very easy and CLEAN . If you need help or have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

-Rob

7. dhip

dhip Active Member

OK,time for a dumb question.Why not just pour shot in the stock.Wouldn't the movement of the shot also reduce recoil?I do see however putting something over the stock bolt might be a smart thing to do to stop any damage.

Doug H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lead in butt