1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead going up even more?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jnoemanh, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Well...if I knew for certain, I'd get rich in the futures market. Nevertheless, I'll bet we see the peak in lead prices within the next ten days or so. The big users, ammunition and batteries are going to throw a monkey wrench in the speculator's plans. They can make moves in inventory reduction and postponing purchases which shake the futures markets.

Not long ago people thought there was no upper limit to nickel prices - "the Chinese are buying up all the nickel to make stainless steel".

Now look at nickel, down from $24 to $14 in the past ten weeks.

Don't panic...on the other hand, those $4/box shells at WalMart look mighty tempting.

2. Bob M

Bob M Member

I ran the numbers for my loads with $26.95 a bag shot and compared it with $40.00 a bag. It will increase my cost about 20% or so per year. Trapshooting is my main hobby, so I will live with it.

A older shooter at our club was speaking about a spike in lead prices many years ago. He got concerned and bought a ton of it because he was worried it would go higher. Right after he bought the shot, it came back down.

3. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Even if lead were to stay at $1.50/ lb, I don't see it as that big an increase. That would increase shell prices (new or reloads) by abt $1.50/box from where it was a year ago. Adding the cost of targets and club membership, my total cost per 25 targets would go from $8 to $9.50.

30 years ago it was half that. I wish gasoline, natural gas, electricity, groceries and shotguns had only doubled in the past 30 years.

Compared to owning a nice bass boat, or a country cub membership and greens fees, it's still cheap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.