1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead from mobile X-ray trailer

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by wild bill JP1, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild bill JP1

wild bill JP1 TS Member

I have somewhere around 1000 lbs of sheet lead taken from the walls of a mobile medical trailer. I had the lead X-Ray analyzed at the local metal yard. The following is the percentage contents of the lead as indicated on the printout given to me:
    Note: I know there is .2 % missing (99.8% total?)but this is the info their machine provided.
    Two Questions: 1. Will this lead hurt a shotgun barrel? 2. Do you think lead from an X-Ray trailer is dangerous because of radioactivity? Thanks, WBJP

94.5 % Pb lead
    2% Iron
    1.5 % Bismuth
    .5 % Tungsten
    .25 % Tin – not iron
    .25 % Nickel
    .2 % Cobalt
    .2 % Silver
    .2 % Manganese
    .2 % Chrome

2. Larry/Oh

Larry/Oh TS Member

No, there is no harm in the lead. X-ray lead is usually pretty soft. You might want to mix in some old wheel weights. Better value might be to find a local muzzleloading group, as this is the type lead they look for.

3. jdar46

jdar46 Guest

Have used this lead before. Larry/Oh is right, it is very soft. I used it by mixing it about 25% with wheel weights and did O K.

4. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Seen on an aution site for Gov't surplus there was a quantity of lead from an x ray room at Anniston AL. 19,000.00 pounds of it on pallets. I don't think the Gov't would be auctioning it off if there was any danger in the lead. Pure lead is not exactly pure as you analyses shows. MIx it with linotype 50/50 for Lyman # 2 .

5. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Haskins Bill is correct. The government would not auction it off if there was a problem. No they would give it away so they(us) would lose twice. First time by not making anything off the sale and the second time when the lawyers sued because it was not clean?

6. mike T

mike T Member

Wild Bill

I am a supervisor of an x-ray dept. That lead is perfectly safe. It does not absorb radiation and become radioactive. It is very soft like the old plumbers lead used on/around old vent pipes. I would say it is almost pure lead. If you can find or know of a hospital or clinic doing remodeling. The x-ray rooms should be lined from floor to ceiling with about 1/8 or thicker lead sheet rock. might be a find for you shot makers.
    mike t

7. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

It seems to me, in my very dark memory that when uranium decays to zero radioactivity it becomes lead! Both are heavy as all get out. Mike T is correct the lead does not absorb radioactivity, the rays just bounce off of it. If it absorbed the Xrays then why do dentists use the same lead aprons on patients over and over? No I don't fear black helicopters over head nor do I wear an aluminum foil hat. He he. Just do your melting with the wind at your back. Bill

8. wild bill JP1

wild bill JP1 TS Member

I just returned from several days on Dale Hollow Lake and just now got to read the replies. Thanks for all the answers and info.

My brother-in-law originally raised the question about safety in regards to the X-Ray room lead and I knew someone on TS.com would offer advice.
    jdar46, I knew the lead was soft and have been adding several wheel weights when making ingots.
    Haskins, what dentist do would be a bad example for me. I don't trust Dentist. I had one fry my thyroid gland 22 years ago. Thanks anyway....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.