1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead from China

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ansvel, Jul 31, 2013.

1. ansvel

ansvel Member

I just got this site and looks like we can get the lead from China 1 kilo for $1.5-2 delivered. Just one issue that minimun amount must be 5-10 tons.
    I'm thinking about a group of people.

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=lead+ingot

What do you think?

2. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

If i ist from China, you could use a magnet to pick it up.

Kenny U

3. stingray44130

stingray44130 Member

Still have to make ignots into shot and bag

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

For an individual with no international shipping experience, it would be a logistical nightmare. There are MANY more costs beyond what you'll pay for the raw material. I doubt any of those prices even get it out of port in China. So you have to pay to get it here, brokerage, customs, taxes, ect. Depending on terms of sale, if the ship sinks, you're SOL.

Importing shot from China was, so I was told at the time, the reason Challenger ammunition was unavailable a few years ago, which may have caused them to go out of business. They had a shipment of shot that had customs issues because it was not properly sprayed for insects before being imported.

I vaguely looked into that before. The problem would be freight unless you live RIGHT on the west coast. Transporting across the country by truck or rail would add a ton. If you lived in LA, you might be able to make a go of it.

Even then, you're paying about a buck a lb for raw lead. I can buy all the finished shot I want for 40 bucks a bag. Doubt you'll find someone to turn it from a lead brick to lead shot for 15 bucks a bag.

I have a LITTLE experience in international shipping on a commercial scale. What I was shipping was basically duplicate orders so there wasn't much variation from shipment to shipment, and the paperwork was all mostly filled out forms, but even then you need to be sure of what you're doing.

5. ansvel

ansvel Member

skeet_man,
    They have shot as well but if you said it's painfull to get into the country.. then I guess you're right.

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: Challenger

Alive and well in Canada. Saw a bunch of challenger hulls on the ground at last weeks NY sporting clays championships and see the shells used at most clubs I shoot at in Quebec.

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Not seeing the delivery included in the price.

It lists FOB - depending on terms that means you pay shipping, or you pay shipping from the port of embarcation - either way, from China that could be quite a bit...

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Joe- I believe this would have been back in the mid 2000s

9. wrzone

wrzone Member

I thought the price of lead went sky high because China was buying it all.

10. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

More revenue to china. This should help.........m

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Here is a China experience I had recently. I had some fishing rods with broken tips that needed repair. I could have them repaired locally for $8.00 a rod. I looked on the internet and ordered 90 assorted rod tips from China for $10.00 with free shipping. I figured I'd take a chance and ordered them. They were in my mailbox in 4 days. So instead of paying $8.00 for each repair it cost me 10 cents for each rod I repaired. HMB

12. hardrock

hardrock TS Member

i'm sure all those sweat shop kids appreciate your business!!

13. staynumz

staynumz Member

The buy American thing has left the barn. We tried and lost. Too much politics and special interest and big business. It wouldn't bother me a bit to buy chinese lead. Wish they would drop it and bag and have it on my suppliers shelf at 20 bucks a bag.

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I though red china was already shipping lead here. In the paint on childrens toys, in baby food and toothpastesold in discount stores.