1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

lead for reloading

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by coco, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coco

coco TS Member

I would like to know if you can use lead battery plates to make shot?

2. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

not real sure if it would be very safe seems like it would put off some toxic fumes when melting it down.

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

its not worth the effort

bill

4. coco

coco TS Member

I more question. These are not car batteries, they are large industrial batteries with about 1500 lbs. of lead per unit. I thought they could be washed & used in a safe way. One battery would last me a long time. Now what do you think?

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

messy and nasty, take a battery with caps on it, romove the caps then put a charger on it on full power, what you smell at that point will be 100x worse when melting. Also just getting the batter apart can be a real pain. the nasty plastic and glue used in the plates. Then what to do with all the battery acid. I have torn down a few batteries, easier to sift for shot in the fall zone.

6. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

Coco, I've wondered about this also. I run a building materials warehouse, and I have 2 old electric forklift batts out back weighing a ton apiece. It appears from the above post that it is not worth it though. A salvage center offered me $200 ea for them, I guess I should just sell them. JD

7. coco

coco TS Member

JDIN, Don't sell those yet. We are going to try a little of this, this weekend.
    The advantage I have is these have removable tops and the acid has already been drained. All I need to do is pull the plates, wash, cut & melt. Plates are 1/4" thick 2ft. wide 4ft. tall. Wish me luck.

8. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

One of the two I have does not have any acid in it. I bought a used forklift at an auction with this bad batt in it, someone had run over something with it and knocked a chunk out of the bottom releasing the fluid. I got it cheap, bought a new batt., presto another fork around the shop. Be sure to post if it works and you can get the lead out of it safely. JD

9. aleadcaster

aleadcaster TS Member

My humble input to this discussion....Many people are suggestion great caution for safety/health purposes. No one though seems to be pointing out what they believe the safety issue to be. Why do they believe battery lead to be more hazardous (aside from the acid issue) to work with than, say lead pipes?

I don't profess to have the definitive answer, but, I do have some idea what the issue might be. I will share that with you all after others have a chance
    to point out what they believe it is. in the mean time coco I would suggest
    REAL respiratory protection. Maybe a north respirator with the multi-defender
    cartridges.

Ajax,what were the nature of the impureties you encountered when you tried using battery lead?

John

10. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

the acid left on these will make toxic fumes,2 the build up on the plates will make toxic fumes,and the lead will be dead soft,so you will have to mix it ,i tryed a bunch of old battery cabel ends once,ruined a whole pot of lead& had to pull&clean my shot maker drippers(what a pain),(was mixed with wheel weights about 100 lbs)because of the corrosion on the cabel ends,battery's plates will have a bunch of build up on them,make shure you use all safety equipment&let us know how it works out,mark

11. coco

coco TS Member

O.K. We tried the lead plates with no good results. I should have taken the above advice. The lead straps 5/16" thick x 6 1/2" long x 1 3/4" wide make a good filler. It looks like 2 to 3 lbs. of pure lead to 50 lbs. of wheel weights will work just fine. I hope this little bit of information will help.
    I know in my location wheel weights are getting hard to find and if you can stretch what you have, it will help with the cost. chuck

12. folothru

folothru Member

IF YOU KEEP SHOOTIN THAT STUFF YOU ARE GONNA END BEING ONTHE 26YD LINE OR CLOSER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

jdintx