1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead Blood Test

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Lither, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lither

Lither TS Member

I Just got off the phone w/ my doctor. I have Gout and arthritis something fierce ( I'm not even 30 yet-I'm just lucky I guess) And I couldn't get it under controll. So He took a blood sample to run.

I told him I had been making my own shot and was wondering about being tested for lead. His eyes lit up and said LEAD! Lead poisoning can make your joints ache just like gout, he was sure that through he smelting and what not I had gotten lead poisoning.

I am fairly carefull, always melt and make shot outside, wear my resperator when the is no wind etc.. But I was a little nervous because hey, we all slip up on safety when we get busy.
    On occasion I have smoked ,( dumb i know, but hey its an addiction man) probably rubbed my nose or eyes or something without washing hands and I touch the shot a lot when drying and tumbling etc..

My test came back today at 1.6 normal exposure -- your safe up to 25 he told me.

I am convinced that there is next to no risk of lead when making shot unless your a total bonehead about it.

I recommend to anyone with the time and means to do it. It takes some time, but I have saved a Ton of money on shot ( I load for $1.70 box) and these days a ton of shot is worth a ton of money, literally!!.

I don't want to sound like Ellen, but she is right (most of the time)

Len

2. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Im sure I have had all kinds of possible lead poision over the years since I have made shot and reloaded many years and also used to be in the tire buisiness handling lead wheel weights all day and never washing my hands except when eating I also think a lot of the stuff now days are blown out of porportion.

Just a few months ago they closed down the loacl school and had it cleaned no telling how much that cost but a little kid brought a test tube of mercury to school and it broke I think on the bus and it was a lock down almost everyone that was anywhere near had to bring their shoes in to get them scanned for contamitiation.

Well I can remember playing with the stuff when I was a kid it was neat to see it roll around on the table.

Oh well got to die from something

Foghorn

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Now you guys had to go and tell us all about this Lead Poisoning thing. If we didn't know about it, it would NEVER be a problem for us. Now that we know, it's sure to be a problem. :)

4. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

lither, do not feel to bad, I started getting Gout attacks at age 26. Acute gout attack is hell, spent one 4th of July in bed, foot was so swollen. Last attack was in my knee and that was enough for me, and have take Alopurinal since. 10Tenner

5. bwvan

bwvan TS Member

They actually tore down that family's house trailer, loaded it and their family van onto semis and hauled all of it away. I have the newspaper article to prove it. I showed it to my students at school to demonstrate to them how ridiculous the government can treat people. Talk about a bunch of boneheads...EPA.

6. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Here is what it cost us for the little mercury spill on the school bus what a crock of you know what I know the guy that probably that done the E.P.A. thing and they act like they are the only ones that can do the job of course they get paid hig dollar for a few low wage laborer's to do the job im sure.

Toll from mercury spill includes Calloway bus - Cleanup and repairs are estimated at $60,000

The Nov. 3 2006 mercury spill at Calloway County Middle School will cost about $60,000 in cleanup and repairs, including the value of a bus that will be cut up for scrap because decontamination would be too expensive.

Superintendent Steve Hoskins said the spill that closed schools was caused by about an ounce of liquid mercury that a student took to school.

"Her grandmother had it for about 50 years in a vial and the student found it and brought it to school to show it to her friends," Hoskins said. "As they were looking at it and playing with it, some of it spilled."

When the school reopened Thursday, officials tested the shoes of everyone entering. "We have 750 students and about 100 adults who are at the school every day. ... We found 21 pair of shoes that showed signs of contamination and we confiscated them."

After those tests, officials went back and tested buses and vehicles that were used to transport the students. "We didn't find any additional contamination," Hoskins said.

Mercury in liquid form isn't toxic and causes no health problems. However, health problems do develop when the mercury vaporizes and is inhaled over a long period of time. It gets into the bloodstream and can cause brain damage.

"When a drop of mercury spills onto the floor it breaks into hundreds of small beads," Hoskins said. "A small amount can cause a big problem because it is so difficult to clean up."

Tests in the school showed contamination in three classrooms and a hallway. "We had to remove the carpeting and the baseboard in the classrooms and hall," Hoskins said. "We also have to replace mop buckets, mops and other cleanup equipment."

A contaminated work station island in a science lab also was removed.

Some mercury was spilled onto the floor of the school bus carrying the student. The bus, purchased in 2001, was taken out of service.

"They started to clean it up but we found out it would cost more to clean it than what the bus is worth," Hoskins said. "We're going to dispose of it."

Hoskins hoped to salvage parts including the fenders and hood, motor, and transmission for use in repairing other buses.

"The contamination is on the interior and I'm told they can just cut the body off of the chassis and we can salvage the rest," Hoskins said. He said the bus would have been used for another seven or eight years.

A spare bus was put into service on the bus route. "We are OK right now, but if we have other breakdowns it could cause a shortage," Hoskins said.

A private firm specializing in toxic cleanup was called to conduct testing and the cleanup. If the mercury had been left in the carpet, it would have vaporized slowly, which could have caused health problems for anyone exposed to the vapors over an extended period.

Hoskins said the $60,000 is only an estimate. He hopes insurance will cover some of the losses.

Students will have to make up two of the three days missed during the cleanup. School was out Nov. 6-8, but schools were already scheduled out on Nov. 7 for Election Day.

Hoskins said it is doubtful any action will be taken against the student or her grandmother, although officials continue to investigate that possibility. He also said an investigation will be conducted to see if any school employees violated policies.

"Our main concern was for the safety of students and to get a clean bill of health for the school so we could get classes back in session," Hoskins said. "We'll look into other matters after everything is back to normal."

Foggy

7. Clay McCracken

Clay McCracken TS Member

I'll bet most of the school kids' parents have tooth fillings with a mercury amalgam.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Right on on the amalgam. they had a big stink about that a few years ago, and now they are silent. for a while, people were haveing all their fillings removed. ( I fooled 'em, I lost all my teeth.)

Seems like liberals need to have something to view with alarm, so the can be the Savior.

We need to be saved from reactionary pukes.

HM

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Many misunderstand the dose/reaction relationship of potentially dangerous material. They believe that if a lot of something is dangerous than a little is also dangerous. Air, with very high levels of oxygen is toxic, but breathing air with no oxygen is not a good idea.

A shooter might consider a little vitamin A to enhance vision on bright days. Another may believe that if a little A is good than a lot of A is better but vitamin A can be very toxic in high doses. When your skin falls off and body fluids begin leaking, you have too much vitamin A.

Pat Ireland

10. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Thanks for the tip Pat ireland I think I need to keep my skin together and all of my body fluids where they are suppose to be.

I try to get plenty of vitiam C so can I O.D. on vitiam C then.

Fog

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Fog- I do not specifically know about high doses of C, but I suspect you can. If you ingest many Vitamin C tablets with large doses of water you can become water intoxicated. Water intoxication can be fatal.

You may, or may not, wish to follow my routine with Vitamin C. I take one 500 mg tablet every morning and wash it down with a pot of coffee while I exercise my lungs inhaling cigarette smoke.

Pat Ireland

PS- I find it very interesting that the livers of Polar Bears and other Artic mammals are toxic to us because they have such high levels of vitamin A. I would be impressed by anyone who knows why Artic mammals require such high levels of vitamin A. (hint- rhodopsin/opsin+retinene).

12. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

rhodopsin helps with night vision. Prolly a good thing in the Land of the Midnight Sun.

13. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Mercury in low doses isnt highly dangerous. But if you disbelieve it's danger in larger doses, read about Minamata Disease.

14. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Len:
    Thanks for the positive vote of confidence. May evryone have happy days making their own shot, reloading , and shoot it.
    Ellen

15. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

At an aircraft corrison course I attended, we were told even a very small Mercury contamination would scrap an airliner. Set up corrison somthing fierce they said? By the way airlines do not haul Mercury.

Take care,

Jim

16. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

I remember way back when all we had were Mercury themometers to put under a patients tongue,in an arm pit, or rectum (best termperature)to get a patients temperature. To my knowledge never had a patient die from Mercury poisoning.
    There were many times when thermometer was accidently dropped on the tile floor of patients room and back then we didn't have a HAZMET crew to clean it up. Matter of fact it was kinda fun to chase those little balls of mercury around the floor for a while before actually picking them up and throwing in the garbage. When did living becoming so lethal???
    Ellen

17. larryjk

larryjk Member

Take Vitamin C (about 1000 mg/day) if you work in a lead contamination area. Wash your hands with cold water and soap before eating. Hot water opens the pores and lets the lead dust become imbedded. I melt lead occasionally, but my blood tests show very little lead. Take care and exchange the air in the lead environment.

18. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Seems as I have an aftershave bottle of Mercury I got from my son in law.

I too plated coins when a kid and chased the little balls to make bigger balls.

Also had asbestos backed heaters and lead based paint.Ray.......

19. fiftystr8

fiftystr8 TS Member

That is todays life. Look up and listen to the song by Bucky Covington, "A Different World".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.