1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

lead battery plates for making shot?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jornski, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jornski

Jornski TS Member

can you use them??I herd they are too soft. Thanks John

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

The plates are pure lead and need something to harden them. A mixture of 20% pure lead and 80% wheel weights is fine. Getting the plates out of batteries is a very messy job. The battery plates will probably have some sulfates on them so I would only melt them outside with a little wind blowing away from your house.

Pat Ireland

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Stay far away from acid. HMB

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Long ago there was a tragedy here. In the very poor part of town a man had salvaged some batteries for the lead. He burned the separator plates in the wood stove to heat his house. They used to be made of wood.

The whole household perished. I don't recall if it was lead fumes or hydrogen sulfide.

Be damn careful with battery lead.

HM

5. Nyttro

Nyttro TS Member

Don't use it, Period. You are begging for big trouble.

Nyttro

6. Jornski

Jornski TS Member

thanks everyone a friend has 300 that have been setting for a long time most do not even have any fluid in them.

7. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

BE CAREFULL. THEY MAY SEEM EMPTY. WATER EVAPORATES AND LEAVES CONCENTRAATED ACID

OR DRIED ACIDIC POWDER WHICH IF YOU GET ON YOUR CLOTHS WILL BE-RE CONSTITUTED

WHEN WASHED AND COME OUT WITH HOLES. EYE AND HAND PROTECTION A MUST. YOU WOULD

BE BETTER OFF HAULIN THE LOAD TO A RECYCLER AND TAKE THE MONEY TO BUY SHOT.

I PEED ONCE WITH BATTERY ACID POWDER ON MY HANDS......BIG MISTAKE!!!!!

8. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

What is that called, lead in your pencil? FD

9. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Years back a neighbors boy took a battery apart to make fishing weights with the lead.

All in had inside was lead that looked like rabbit cage wire and was so crumbly be did not even want to mess with it. He sure made his dad mad as he did this in the driveway. Ray.......

10. IM390

IM390 Member

Some car batteries also have cadium in the lead. Cadium is highly poisonous when melted. BEWARE!

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I think that a bunch of those battery stores will buy old car batteries. Price varies but I have seen from 4 to 6 dollars offered. This might be the best thing to do with those old batteries. I know that it is what I would do after reading this thread. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.