1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead & Ammo Prices Are Way Up<---Now What???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Uncle Sam, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Drew...this is truly a bummer. 92cents a pound for lead is an all time high. When it was playing around 70cents, ammo took a large price increase in Jan. of 2006. Another price increase on new trap ammo in mid 2006 !! It is up 15 to 20 percent in one year. That is a bunch by historical standards. Coupled with $2.25 TO 2.75 gasoline, this may be a tough year for a lot of shooters. I have big plans for this season but am starting to re-think things with plans to maybe stay closer to home. Fortunately, we have lots of quality shoots here in Pa. and Ohio. For sure...that $30.00 a flat ammo of only a year ago is really lookin' good right now !!.........Uncle Sam, Pa.

2. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Well, if you owned a shot tower, and you had to pay the guy that owned the lead mine $23 for the lead you needed to make a bag of shot...just how much, exactly, would you sell that lead for after you did all the work to make th shot?

You'd have to pay to ship the raw lead to your tower. Utilities (electric or gas) to melt the lead. Labor. Insurance. Other things. HOW much would you want back in your pocket when the shot was made? How much risk are you willing to take with your money for how little return?

I know I was loading for $2.80 a box when shot was $18 a bag. Ok. Shot's $30 now. I get 16 boxes out of a bag, and I've cut costs other ways (switching to Promo from more expensive 700X, for example) - so my loading costs would be $3.60 a box. I shoot about 1,000 boxes a year...so it's going to cost me another $800.

What's so bad about that? A year ago, Estates were that price, and it was ok. Finished ammo is always going to cost more than the components - they have labor and other costs to add in. My time is worth nothing...if I'm not reloading, I'm sitting on my fat butt watching TV.

Yes, I know there's "folks out there that are hurting" and the "working class guy can never afford it" Well, BUL**HIT. I"M A WORKING CLASS GUY. I may not punch a clock, but I hit the desk every morning and put in a fair days work. Trapshooting has ALWAYS been an expensive hobby. I fail to see how this increase in lead prices changes that proposition. 80 cents a box? Not a huge problem.

3. m70win

m70win Member

Start shooting doubles skeet wait for the 2 birds to cross and pull the trigger, you'll shoot just as many birds with half the shells.

Tim

4. BTRooster

BTRooster TS Member

A guy can save big bucks reloading if if does not need a Spolar. Rooster

5. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I'm still at $3.46/box of 1 1/8" oz, and $3.21/box of 1oz. using STS Mag. lead and 18gr & 17gr. of Claydot powder with Down Range wads and Fiocchi primers using components I purchased just 3 weeks ago.
    I just ordered 10 flats of Gun Clubs for $43.80/flat (out the door price)
    It's still cheaper than GOLF.

6. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Well, I've got 800 lbs of shot so I guess I'll shoot til its all gone.

hubcap

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

wow, you people do an excellent job of depressing the hell out of me. I do my best not to open these gloom and doom component price threads, every once in a while one slips by and ruins my whole day LOL

Bought supplies last night. 10 bags of Eagle mag 8.5 shot @ $23.50 a bag, 2K winchester primers at $27/K (dunno where the 35% increase came from ($20/k last year), thats almost as bad an increase as shot), 5K fiocchi primers @ $18/K (for practice, were $16/K 6 months ago), 2K Remington SP410 wads at $20/K (thats up close to 25% too over last year), 4 lbs Universal Clays for $50 (almost unchanged, at least compared to everything else), and a couple pounds of H110 that I forget the price on. I spent $550 last night, add that to $200 worth of shot from a couple months ago, and I still need to spend a couple hundred on wads and powder, i'll have close to a grand in supplies before the season to last me fingers crossed a year and a half. I used to use the reloading calculator on here, i'm going to refrain from now on as it'll only cause me to worry about it that much more. Thank goodness i'm only shoot 20ga 28ga and 410 right now, i can't imagine what it would be like if i shot only 12ga like you trap shooters.

8. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

24str8....

most (a lot, anyway) of the shot we see here in Alaska comes from Argentina. Ocean freight costs about a nickel a pound...so about $1.25 a bag to get it to the states. Lead is lead...costs the same everywhere, the commodity price. Labor, advertising, liability insurance, all that costs.

I have acquaintances who get it shipped up here for free...doesn't take up any space on the barge, and the barge is nowhere near max capacity on weight.

9. IM390

IM390 Member

JUst went out and got my lady a new ring; wasn't diamonds or gold or even saphires....I made sure it was 100% lead. Now now I must be honest it cost a arm and a leg but for her, it was worth it. lol

10. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

I'm 27 bags away from using up my $10.50 a bag shot, when thats done so am I. This lead thing got out of hand in the late 70's and I quit buying then for $20 a bag, so this time it will be much easier. Keep paying that big buck, the Japanese love it.

ol 12

11. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I just bought three bags of shot for $75.00, the comment about only RICH being able to afford to shoot clay targets is a interesting observation. I guess that I am now concidered RICH, can't wait for Hillary to raise my TAXES.

Lets put things into perspective.

Beretta 682x with America Case $3600.00
    Shooting Glasses with perscritpion in three lens colors combined with polarization and anti-reflective coating $265.00
    Custom Leather Shooting Pouch and belt $200.00
    2005 Chevy Tahoe $30,000.00
    Misc extras $500.00 (Chokes, toe tab, other junk we all need)

Subtotal before going to the range to shoot $34565.00.

12 Boxes of new Rem STS AMMO $78.00
    Entry Fees for 300 targets DBLS, Singles, Handicap $131.00 (Play them there options!)
    1 tank of gas for Tahoe $50.00
    Breakfast at gun club $7.50
    Lunch at gun club $7.50

Day of shooting $274.00

And guess what I had a good time!

Ronbo

12. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

24Str8

I flew out to Utah to consider buying Black Diamond Shot. Their equipment was worn out and in sad shape. Their OSHA problems were caused by not ventilating the building properly. They didn't attempt to correct this until the employee tested high and OSHA was after them. Many shooters say their quaility was poor in the final days. I wouldn't even make them an offer on the business. I think it was trying to run under the radar as a clandestine lead melting business. It is tough to melt that many tons of lead and keep it a secret. This is a lot more to the story, than even I know. IMHO.

13. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

That's a healthy attitude, Ron!!!

most of our shoots are 600 targets, minimum, in the summer. Alaska summers are short - we pack the targets in then. 24 boxes at my old price was $67. 24 boxes at $30 a bag shot is $86. So a box of shells is going to cost me 80 cents more...24 boxes is a $20 bill in additional costs. Once you have the tahoe and the choke tubes and the perazzi, the vest, the bag and hat, shells and targets are almost incidental....

Yeah, it's a bite, but it's doable. I enjoy it.

14. Furman

Furman TS Member

It,s all in a good time their alot of other outside sports lets go buy a boat spend 50k use it 10 times in the summer buy gas for the boat 2.45 a gal go through 25 gal a day.shooting trap is still good deal.The increase price of lead is les than 2% of our cost in a good day of fun.Lets not let a little thing like the price of lead be a concern. We should be more concernd about our politions we put in D.C.they may make SHOOTING lead or steel ileagel. If they get their way we will be shooting paper or clay at clay.Lets go shoot lead while we can.BE SAFE and Always remember who our enemies are not the lead makers or the scrap buyers.....I will buy your lead ?????? the furman

15. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

All President Bushes fault.

Lead was not near this high when Clinton was in.

I think it is called supply and demand.

So, quit shooting so much.

Sorry,I had to do this just to ruffle your feathers.

Everything is going up.

We could shot pea gravel,but hell that has went up do to the price of fuel.

Bo

16. dverna

dverna Active Member

Ronbo,
    Good post - except I don't need to buy a vehicle to shoot.

I think a lot of the "old timers" that are bored or no longer competitive use shot/ammo prices as the excuse to leave the sport. That is sad but it does put a lot of nice used equipment on the market (I got a K-80 I would never have been able to "justify" this way)

I think $3 coffee is atrocious. If things get tough, I will stop buying expensive wine, single malt scotch and good cigars; skip a fancy meal once a week (which I should do anyway); or cut my own grass; etc etc before I curtail shooting.

I know a couple who have decided not to take expensive vacations and spend that money on shooting and going to shoots. They enjoy that more than two weeks of "fun".

It boils down to what gives you the most pleasure.

Don

17. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Like any commodity it will go down in time. It's simply the law of supply and demand. China is buying up commodity metals on the world spot market. Much of it being used to fuel their industrial revolution and of course build the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

For those that were question the productivity of American worker ( on another thread) you better get a good look at what is going on in China. They are quickly becoming an economic powerhouse. It's funny what opportunity, capital, no unions and no government intervention can do for an economy.

According to a commodities dealer here in Milwaukee once the 2008 Olympics are over with we should see a steady decrease in the rpice of lead. Thanks

Rick

18. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

At $26 a bag a 1 1/8oz. load of lead costs you a little over 7 cents, a 1 oz. is 6.5 cents. Not that much for the fun involved.

19. furface

furface Member

Do you remember thirty years ago when reclaimed shot was $8-10, good stuff was 14 to 16 and new AA's when for $120 for a 500 rnd case? Wages were around $10. Seems like a guy will spend whatever he has got to spare. Joe

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I paid $21 for a bag of chilled shot back in the 70's and probably made about $10/hr. at that time. I'm still shooting. Come to think of it, that coupled with the gas shortages coincided with the largest decreases in shooter numbers in our area!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.