1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

leach field issue any advise

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by copper, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copper

copper Member

Well we have lived in this house only a year job changed in that time and have bought anouther house closer to new jobs, any how we are in contract with selling our house they come and do inspections and suposedly run water for a half hour and toilet and shower back up in finish basement we never use these. We have never had this happen before toilet is and shower go direct into septic tank not pump up. My question any one had there leach field presure washed any sucess with that. Was odd never happen in a year but have to fix regardless . ANY INFO APPRECIATED. modifiying leach field last resort alread losing money on house in this market. thanks Dave

2. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Why have you assumed that the problem is the drainfield..???
    Has the septic tank been pumped recently..?? Ever..?? Here in Florida, tanks are installed with what is known as an "outlet filter". If it clogs, you get the situation you mention. The filter can then simply be pulled and cleaned, thus preventing that clogging material from reaching your drainfield. If in fact the problem is the drainfield, there is a process known as "Revitalizer"..sometimes also called "jet and blast". Don't know if this is what you're referring to as "pressure washing". Revitalizer treatment is shooting a jet of high pressure air into the drainfield's infiltrative surface to break up any bio-mat that may have formed which could be preventing the wastewater from passing into the sand of your system. Revitalizer can help extend the life of a failing drainfield and might get you over the current problem.

3. copper

copper Member

Yes I just had tank pumped abot three weeks ago because the down stair toilet witch we rarly use ran slow and we had not had tank pumped before. I have had other house before with leach field issues , NE PA no sand here, Yes the washing I am talking is high presure deal The down stairs bath room should have been a pump up system realy is strait in and most likley leavel with leach field out line so is leach field slows down witch happened in this case back up. I just never had happen but can see some of the problem. Now if leach field is leaching great guns no problem.

4. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Standard Leaching fields are big. Probably 50' x 25' (your town sanitation department will have a copy of the layout) and their under ground.
    You can't possibly clean them. People have bought septic "bugs" to eat the slim and clean the fields but that takes time. Not many options but to dig new fields. Sorry. Dave T.

5. copper

copper Member

Well have Roto router coming they do high presure line cleaning , as I say this inspection they ran water for who knows how long to make down stairs toilet back up witch in a year of us doing laundry and showers has never happened, so if this inline cleaning in proves water disapation should do trick

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

How old is your leach field? They only last about 20 years with moderate use. Does your system have a distribution box that allows you to selectively use half of the leach field? Find your distribution box and pull the cover off. If your D.B. is full, you need to either switch the flow to the other half of your field or the entire field/ground is probably not leaching liquid away anymore, and saturated.

7. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I've read your post three times w/o any success in understanding what thoughts you are trying to convey. The appropriate use of capitals and punctuation may help; I don't really say until I see the revised draft.

Until then though, and I am not a plumber, I would postulate your are in deep shit.

HBT

8. copper

copper Member

1. Had a house inspector come to the house 2. he ran the water for a long period of time and the down stairs toilet over flowed. 3 we have lived in the house and have never had this problem before. 4 I have call roter router to come and do a high presure cleaning of leach field lines. 5 has anyone ever had this service done at there house and did it work. 6 Thanks for your insightfull help, on this subject.

9. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

copper,

I suspect the Rotor-Rooter guy will solve your most of your problems. It seems your in-flow capacity has the ability to exceed your out-flow capacity.

Kinda like having a stuck wad.

HBT

10. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I just had a complete new system installed last fall. The original was installed about 30 yrs ago by the homebuilder (himself). It probably has not worked properly for most of that time as there really wasn't much of an inspector up in this neck of the woods at that time.

This system does now have the "lint trap" as Don mentioned above. Lint from doing the laundry is the biggest killer of septic systems. Another thing is the baffle inside the tank itself. This baffle prevents the "floaters" from going directly into the field, causing the tiles to plug up. The older systems had a clay tile baffle that tended to crumble after a few years. The new ones are PVC and are replacable.

Check to see if yours has the trap. It would be on the out-going side of the septic tank. There should be a pipe (generally PVC) sticking up. Remove the cap and it should lift out. It's like a round brush. Hose it off and replace it.

If your ground has alot of clay and the rock below the tile is full, it will probably need to be replaced. As long as the tank is in good shape, just a new field will need to be installed in a new area.

Using tile for the new field will require lots of rock to be hauled in. Many of the newer systems (as with mine) are using a chamber design, instead of pipe. The chambers offer more area for the biomat and less chance of a plugged up tile/pipe.

11. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I'm not a plumber but I've had a lot of experience with the septic systems. "I know my s**t". I can't believe that your house was put together without a lift station in the basement. The ground is probably pretty close to being saturated now and the water will not naturally flow as easy as it does when the ground is thirsty. With a lift station you get the fall of the water as usual and the overflow of the filled tank will not stagnate and set there until the ground water goes down. Your best bet is to install a lift station that joins your regular discharge to the septic and be sure to install a backfeed flow check valve to the pipe so your other bathrooms don't bubble when the pump is triggered. This is costly but I can't think of another way to go. Sorry buddy this is gonna cost ya. Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.