1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LCD OR LED TV?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by LUGNUTZ426, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

LOOKING FOR A 50 INCH FOR DARK BASEMENT. LCD VS LED PROS AND CONS? ANY RECOMMENDATIONS. CONSIDERING A SCEPTRE LCD FROM WALLYWORLD. ANYONE HAVE ONE?

THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP

JOE

2. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

LED

blade819

3. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

All of the new ones are great. i was told it doesn't really matter. Just bought a new led and we love it. Bill

4. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

LED tvs are also LCD, the initials refer to different things. The LCD is "Liquid Crystal Display" while the LED just means that the backlighting is LED rather than some other lighting. The LED type will generally consume a bit less electricity but it's not a big deal one way or the other. Either one is fine.

5. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

We have had a Sony Bravia 46" LED for about two years now. It was top of the line when we got it and it's still near the top 1080p 240Hz.

It does take a real critical eye to see the difference but I feel the LED is a bit crisper.

Tim

6. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Instead of getting the usual "mine is the best", just hit the link and get the facts.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Galt has it right in his first post. LED is the new kid on the block. Its simply the new way they backlight the screen. LED bulbs use less energy and last longer. Unless you buy the most expensive LED TV, you are only getting edge lit LED. You pay more for complete LED backlit TV's. They still have a LCD screen. The regular LCD TV's use CCFL backlights. Most people will never tell the difference. The LCD TV's have some smoking deals going on now as they switch to all LED TV's. If you don't need the latest/greatest you can save some money and not really sacrifice much. The most important aspects to pay attention to are the Contrast Ratio and Pixels. Those are what determine the quality of picture.

8. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I don't mean to hijack, but can someone explain what the HZ difference does? I've seen 60hz, 120hz, and 240 hz. A friend has a 240hz and swears it's better for sports ?????? Thanks.

9. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

The higher the HZ number is the higher the "refresh" rate is, thus making it better for sports viewing. i.e: it will be more crisp for things such as sports. If you only watch movies or news programs, this would not be an issue.

Anyone that owns a plasma TV will note that they are 600Hz. That currently is not what you'll see in an LED TV. Plasma TV's are going by the wayside.

Hope this helps.

Tim

10. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Thanks!

11. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

About a year ago I got a Toshiba 55UL610U 55 inch LED top of the line 3D smart TV at Conns and it is 480 refresh rate. The year before we had got a Vizio 42 inch LCD at 120 refresh rate. Both seem fine but the LED has darker blacks and the picture is better. I was told the LCD never goes completely off where the LED does turn completely off. I know it takes longer for the LCD to come on and also to change channels. We have never tried out the 3D. It is 55 inch and estimated electricity cost for a whole year was only $22.00.

When buying the TVs I was trying to find the one with the least shiny plastic frame going around it. The Vizio had the least. at that time, but I still did not like the glare it had. The Toshiba has none. I also wanted to have a USB port so I could view mp pictures on the TV. I also went on Ebay and bought extra remotes for both. Both can be viewed from any angle. Ray

12. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Stay away from any plasma tvs, used or otherwise. the pictures can go bad. i did a trade for one "like new" Toshiba. It went out to the road in 6 months. Bill

13. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

When we got our TV two years ago, we were told at that time there were only two companies making plasma anymore. Don't know if that's still the case.

Tim

14. missemucho

missemucho Member

Slayer:
    Think you got taken on the Toshiba; I have two Samsung plasma--the oldest one is 2 yrs old and works beautifully--bought one for the bedroom last December and it's perfect.

Since Lugs is going to put it in a dark basement (reflections can be a problem on plasma screens) I would bet a plasma would work great.

There are at least 3 manufacturers making plasma that I know of: Panasonic, Samsung and LG. The first two are consistently among the highest rated tvs of any type by Consumer Reports and they test all of them.

JMHO

John

15. Robb

Robb Member

Mine are plasma and I'm very happy. Panasonic 2yrs old and Hitachi 3yrs old. Both 50". I think it's the best picture.

16. riggy

riggy TS Member

Plasma TV's may be a thing of the past but like missemucho said they are always the highest rated TV's of consumer reports. In a dark basement you could put a heck of a nice plasma down there for almost half of what you pay for a LED. I would recommend a Panasonic if you were going to go that route.

17. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

I bought two Pioneer Plasma's over 5 years ago and they both are still perfect and get lot of use. Also bought Samsung LED 3 years ago and is also great TV.

18. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

My Panasonic Plasma TV is 5.5 years old....and still rocks. Love watching anything BluRay on it.

19. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I purchased a new 32" LCD for the kitchen so I could watch the news while I ate breakfast. It was cheapie from Sears as my main TV is in the family room. The thing gets a great picture but I hate the thing. I'm a channel surfer, this thing takes forever to change channels. My Sony in the family room can flip through channels faster than I can push the button. I can make the rotation through my cable provider's 70 channels in less than a minute. Still can't find anything to watch. LOL

I guess my point is - the next TV I purchase is going to be taken for a test drive. I want the remote and I want to see how fast the thing can change channels LOL. If it can't run the quarter in less than 13 seconds I don't want it. LOL

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.