1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LC Smith For Sale - price reduced

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by slowdp, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

0   0   0

I have a guy trying to sell a LC Smith 20 gauge field grade in rather good condition. Used with good blue but worn checkering. by the serial number the gun was made in 1939. What would you estimate the value to be?

Owner willing to take $1200. PM me for how to get in touch with the owner.

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Several years ago, (3) I sold one for a friends widow. At the time the gun was valued at $500.00 hope that helps

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

0   0   0

Maybe $500 for a 12 ga . Here in VA , a 20 with open chokes will double that. Jeff

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

what grade?( I know you said field grade but does it actually say that on the receiver?)

does it have a release lever for the forearm?

any chance you can post pictures?

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. art g

art g Member

0   0   0

Value is very much dependent on whether the L.C. Smith you are looking at is absolutely original in all respects. If you want the gun to shoot and hunt with (not just as a collectible) and it fits you well and is in solid condition mechanically... then just be sure you pay "shooter price". If it turns out after you get the gun that it is highly collectable then so much the better! Either way, you won't get hurt. From your brief description I would say somewhere around $600-$800 would be ok. The 20 gauge guns usually book higher than comparable twelves. Here is a website that might be helpful to you..... http://www.lcsmith.org/index.html

Best regards,
    Art G.

6. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

0   0   0

GN7777777 - no release lever in the forearm Just hook your finger under the barrel and pull.

There is absolutely nothing on the gun except L. C. Smith. The gauge is not even on the barrel.

I did not get much time to look at it. It belonged to a fellow club members father who just passed.

7. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

0   0   0

The serial number is stamped 9359 on barrel and forearm iron. The receiver is stamped S9359. Does that make it 1946 or about 1919?

8. gunboom

gunboom TS Member

0   0   0

1947 LC Smith Gun Co. (Marlin owned)

CB

9. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

0   0   0

Pics of LC Smith. Serial S93xx. The owner is looking for $2,500 but is open to offers. Bore is bright without pits. Barrels measure 0.610 and choked to 0.580 and 0.587. There is a mark under the barrel that looks like some type of trade mark. It is a little block with what looks like an M stamped in it and a P over stamped. Withing the square also is a stamp of C9.

Pics speak for themselves.

Make an offer and i will pass it on. PM's are ok.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

0   0   0

Gun is stamped "Field" on the barrel and in the receiver.

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

its a field grade- If he can get 900 he will be making a killing

Thats because it is in good condition and a 20 gauge

It will be 200 years before the gun will be worth what he is looking for

regards from Iowa

Gene

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Not to be an a-hole, but 2500.? I want some of what he's smoking! Bill

13. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

0   0   0

Guys - it is not my gun. Everyone thinks what they have is worth more than it is and everyone looking to buy thinks you want too much. I will pass offers on to him for anyone interested.

The friend got some bad advice by someone who dated the gun at 1919. Now he thinks it is gold but if enough people respond he will adjust his thinking. I told him to go to the blue book site. By the way, what is your opinion on the blue book site?

Be nice. Thanks for the input. Give a value if you have seen a sale of a gun like this recently. Make an offer if you are interested and i will pass it on.

It looks like a sweet, tight gun but it is simply not something i am interested in at the moment.

Thanks for looking.

14. Mapper

Mapper Member

0   0   0

Hummmm, 20 gage fatherweight. Looks pretty nice. $2500 might be a little steep, but 2k sounds about right, maybe a little less for a Marlin made. Like Krieghoffs, it ain't 1970 any more. Check the new Blue Book. I have a Hunter made just like it and certainly would not take 700 or 900 for mine.

15. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

0   0   0

I own numerous Smiths. This one is fairly clean FW Field, but it's an LC Smith Gun Company model made by Marlin in 1947 and not a Hunter Arms gun. Mechanically it's the same gun as made since 1913, but the Hunter guns do fetch more money. It's worth between $1200-1500 if there are no issues not revealed by the photos. Tough to determine if there are any wood problems (behind the locks and the forend) or just how strong the case colors are without seeing it up close. The case colors don't "look" strong, but the bluing does, which would make me wonder if it's been reblued. Today you see prices for Smiths, Foxes and Parkers all over the board. Usually there's a big difference between what they are listed for and what they sell for. Still, that's a nice little gun and will be going strong for years to come.

16. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

0   0   0

One other thing... you mentioned worn checkering. Checkering on the field models "appear" to be worn, but that's often not the case. The field guns were checkered by apprentices with a flat, not pointed checkering job. Because the diamonds are not pointed and sharp, they often give the impression of being worn. If the cut lines are gone and/or the finish is gone, then it's worn and will be obvious.

17. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

0   0   0

if this gun is worth 42000 how much is my bakers worth they are the same gun with the same parts. as a matter of fact baker started the lc smith company.
    pete

18. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

0   0   0

Thanks for the feedback. The lines of the checkering are intact. I thought the checkering was worn from handling because it is not sharp.

The case color is gone. Bluing is strong but has some marks on the underside of the barrels near the muzzle. I don't know if it has been re-blued but it does not appear to have been. If re-blued it was a good job. There is no cold blue smell.

Any offers to buy?

19. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

0   0   0

20. GW22

GW22 Active Member

0   0   0

I love Elsies but am often amused at what some people think they're worth. This one might bring about half what the owner wants but it will likely take a while to find a buyer at that price.

-Gary

PS: After Smith gave up gunmaking and hooked up with Corona, they made a pretty darn good typewriter. I've got a nice one I'll sell for $2500! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.