1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawry Vs. White Flyer ????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shotgunczar1, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgunczar1

shotgunczar1 TS Member

What is the difference between Lawry and White Flyer targets if any? Why would a club want to switch?

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I don't find much difference in those manufactured in the past year or so.

Several years back, Lawry had quality control problems, but I have not seen any problems in the past few years.

I shoot at a number of clubs in Canada and the states and unless someone tells me what target the club is throwing, I have no idea.

I've seen them in use as far south as Florida. Shooters were probable not even aware.

For many years, Lawry was $1 less per case, or more. A considerable savings for those clubs having to watch the money flow. I don't know the present price.

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I believe 4 or 5 years ago now, Lawry's put in new equipment. At that time they had some quality issues, that I heard complaints about. These days, to the best of my knowledge, they don't have any problems with quality. I have had many people tell me that they can tell the difference, but that has not been my experience. I've done a few tests, such as alternating stacks of both brands in the machine or telling the shooters that the other brand is in the machine. I haven't seen any conclusive results one way or the other.

I do know that Lawry's production facility is going full blast and it will take the rest of the summer for them to catch up to the production they lost during the recent shutdown of the pitch supplier. Bill Malcolm

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

I know one shooter who vowed all he would ever shoot was White Flyer targets and he would not shoot on any range unless they were throwing White Flyer targets. I ran across him a month or two ago at one of the local ranges. As some of us were talking while the trap was being reloaded it was mentioned how good the targets were flying and breaking at this range in the last couple weeks and along comes the guy carrying empty boxes to the dumpster ... Lawry boxes ... before I could say anything to the one shooter somebody else told him he should just pack it in and go home since he had been and was shooting Lawry's and not White Flyers.

He stayed and continued shooting and still shoots at that range a couple times a week.

There aint no difference between Lawry's and White Flyers ... except the excuses when you miss.

5. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

A few years ago we had issues with Lawtys. We were unhappy with the shipment we got and wanted some kind of compensation for targets that were cracked and just not up to snuff.
    Lawrys as much as told us to go suck eggs, so we did, and bought white flyers.
    We have been happy with the white flyers. We found that Lincoln Infinity machines don't like Lawrys targets. As well, when they get wet, their tolerances are so tight that they form a vacuum and won't drop properly.

We'd prefer to buy Lawrys because they are Canadian, but when you get a guy who doesn't seem to care....so far he's lost 2 tractor trailer loads.

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Just as a thought ... targets can come from a far distance away or even just around the block but if the cases or pallets are josseled & bumped around by ae trucker the targets could get damaged. Asking Lawry for some form of compensation when it could have been the driver and herky jerky driving hitting potholes and jarring the targets could be the reason why Lawry did not want to do anything but than again they are Canadians and some Canadians are just like some Americans or other people.

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Lumper:

I'm glad that I'm finally in agreement with you on something! Your 11:25 AM post above fits right in with my experience. I've shot many Lawrys and honestly have never noticed a difference. Others swear they can't be broken, but I've never noticed a difference.

8. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

Somebody posted the following info on ts.com - enjoy!

Top Ten Ways that a Lawry Target can actually be shot.

1 – In the HOT Summer.

2 – When it has not rained in about 1 month.

3 – When the targets don’t stick together.

4 - When the targets are actually round.

5 – If you can see the poorly painted things.

6 – If you Stand on top of the trap house.

7 – If you find it easier to shoot them when they are orange on top and black underneath.

8 – If the machine isn’t clogged with broken targets.

9 – Everyone on the squad shoots at the same time at the HARD target.

10 – You can still afford to shoot after the American Target Business that you work for has gone belly up because the Canadian Company Lawry’s sold their targets for no profit just to undercut you.

38-01615

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

If you care to stack some of the various makes together you will see that Lawry has a more visible paint job. All targets are difficult to break some days it seems, this year especially. Bob H.

10. tinker

tinker TS Member

i do all the buying at our club when you can save $1.00 per carton lawry is your best by and if you hit them hard they will smoke synepuxent rod and gun club

11. Bass

Bass TS Member

We switched to Lawry several years ago, and received a trailer load just this week at $7.25/case. Have always had cooperation from the owner Rick Lawry, who I speak to personally for our order.

On a side note, some local clubs hopped on the White Flyer biodegradable bandwagon a few years back, and now their ranges look like the Gobi desert due to the lack of ground cover. Our range is a lovely green, with just a hint of Lawry orange.

We throw from Pattrap, and use old Winchester autos for skeet, and find the Lawry throws well. They are of uniformly high quality.

Swing by if you vacation on Cape Cod this summer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lawry vs whiteflyer