1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawry versus White Flyer Targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BT-100dc, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Our club is loacated in NE Ohio and my question is "In freezing temperatures, are the Lawry targets any harder as compared to the White Flyers?" We switched over to the Lawry brand in the summer season. As we're approaching late Autumn and Winter, will we notice any difference with the types of breaks? Appreciate your feedback. Also, anyone using Champion tragets? BT100dc

2. David McMillen

David McMillen Banned User Banned

You may want to call Saint Joe Valley Conservation Club, St. Joe, IN. I believe they use Lawry targets, and have had for some time.

David McMillen

3. FLIP

FLIP Member

Champion targets are hard to break, ask lake milton club,Lawry are a lot better now but still don't smoke like a white flyers,my 2 cents

4. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Flip has it right, Our club uses lawry's for practice and league, and white flyers for ATA, nothing "smokes" like a white Flyer. YMMV Scott

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Scott, then you never shot the Remington's in their prime, WF's smoke is nothing compared to the Blue Rocks.

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Amen 320090T, wish we could still get them. Ross Puls

7. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Your right 320090T I never shot remingtons, only been at this game 5 years. Scott

8. IMGRV

IMGRV TS Member

BT-100dc: Here in Ontario, it is generally thought by many but not all shooters that Lawry targets are harder to break. You can hear the clanking noise of the shot hitting the target - it almost sounds glass-like. It takes several pieces of shot to break one or you will just hear the noise and see the target flight change with a little puff of dust, but no break. And this is in any weather. I think White Flyer makes the best target IMO.

9. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

We use them because they are cheaper. Yes they are harder to break! They are really a challenge on the Annie's
    Clyde

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Champions are good for reducing the number of shoot-offs and ties. Even had one guy try to tell me they came out of the same plant as White Flyers. Yeah, right.

Bob Falfa

11. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I have experimented by loading different brands in a pat trap and had shooters try to tell me which were best. When they were through, they couldn't tell me which were which. I proved the point by loading all Lawreys for all of them and then asked which gave the best breaks. They had opinions, but the truth was, they were all the same birds. Since the companies, have so called reformulated their targets,(to make them cheaper) they all break about the same. Smoke doesn't score any different then chips big or small. Shooters are brainwashed to believe what they feel gives them an advantage.
    You hit 'em, you get 'em!

Big Jack

12. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

I hate to argue with anyone named "Big Jack" but saying "You hit 'em , you got 'em" isn't really accurate, even for White Flyers (which are my favorite).

A few winters ago I opened up a second field at our club that hadn't been used since a recent small snow storm. There was already a crusty snow base and now there was about a new 2 inches of fresh snow on top. Only one round was shot on that field, a handicap round from 25 yards and I could see the missed birds landing without breaking and just visable beneath that new snow.

Later in the afternoon, I picked up those birds and out of the 125 thrown, there were 19 whole targets that I picked up. Of those 19 targets there were 11 that had at least one hole in them (several had 2 holes and one target had 3).

13. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Big Jack, want to have fun? Put White Flyers in the machines and place some Champion, or other brand, boxes by the score chairs for empty shells. Listen to the whining.

14. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Champions are not made in the White Flyer plants. They are made in the Portland Cement plants.

15. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Greg, I think you answered the question for all. The targets you were throwing were likely frozen. I hesitate to leave target in the trap houses in freezing temperatures. Regardless of brand, the results are usually as you described.
    I'm sure you will admit that without spinning the targets can be hit many times without breaking. If they were indeed frozen, they were just sliding down the arm with little or no centrifigual force imparted on the target.
    I can remember putting a bit of grease on the rubbers on the old Winchester machines and watching shooters poking all kind of holes in targets without breaking them. Heck, I"ve picked up targets at Vandalia with eight or nine holes without breaking. Just another dirty trick from the trap setter's bible.

Big Jack

PS Just mentioning Champion Targets can get you kicked right out of some clubs

16. ring3

ring3 Member

I pick up unbroken targets at our local clubs. In my experience the Champions are the toughest to break. They land with up to 6 holes/small chips without breaking. The Lawry, White Flyer pitch and bio are pretty close. Find them whole with 1 or 2 holes or hits regularly, rarely any more. My observation and pick up count says the White Flyers break more easily hitting the ground whole. The pick up count is less for WFBio, but not much. Not sure if this is because they are more fragile material or their design differences.

We recently got a truck of White Flyer Bios. Comparing them to Lawry's I notice quite a difference in color. The Lawry's are much brighter and solid orange (best way I can describe the difference).

WFBio's make a nice white smoke especially under lights. I've been told the WF pitch give a bigger black smoke than the Lawery pitch. I can't say that I notice a difference.

Champions have more breakage in the cartons. Others about the same, pretty rare. This might be from rough handling before we get them.
    As an aside, I like the Lawry cartons better. Easy to open and the tops are not destroyed in the process. WF boxes can be a pain to open, leave behind the "zip strip" and can't be reused if a box with a top is needed.

Those are my observations from experience.

Rob

17. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Champions are tough birds....

The kid always shoots 1oz 8.5 for singles.... Went to local ATA shoot a few weeks back at a club that always threw White Flyers. The 49th bird was a HUGE black sootball and the bird kept going.

During doubles, I noticed he "smoked" a couple second birds again with 8.5s. Switched to 8s and shot a 49 the next round.

After the shoot was over, we watched them re-load the houses with Champion targets.

No more 8.5s on Champions OR White Flyer bios.

SW

18. broadwaybill

broadwaybill Member

Here is the straight scoop on clay tatgets.White Flyer no 8 shot,Lawry no 7 1/2 Champion no less then 00 buck,If temp is below 0 slugs will be fine

Fifteen two and a pair is four

Vote

Bill

19. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 9:38 AM

To: Fred Redmon

Subject: Re: Hard Targets

Hi Fred

Thank you for your email, sorry I didn,t get back to you sooner but I found that rather curious as well so I made some calls. You are correct in your assumption the targets are hydroscopic and will react to the cold. However as you pointed out they are thrown all over the northeastern US and Canada. In the north the targets adjust to the temperature change over a period of time.To limit the efects of the cold clubs do a variety of things put a heat lamp in the house for a few days, leave the shrink wrap on. I hope I answered your questions.

Glenn

FRedmon

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The targets are going to be part of the impact of the economy soon, this based on cost factors for targets just eliminate other concerns in one way or another ... They will all brake just hit them harder and faster, as long as everyone shoots the same targets whats the difference ..? No more protecting averages ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lawery vs white flyer

lawery vs white flyer targets