1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawrence Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tallpaul, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

Has anyone attempted to purchase 2 or 3 tons of shot directly from Lawrence/Mayco Industries of Illinois? I sent an email to them with an inquiry, but have not heard back from them. Is there some type of dealer/distributor stipulation?

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

You are wasting your time. They only sell through distributors.

TB

3. Landshark

Landshark Member

I became a Lawrence dealer/dist about 3 months ago. I have a reloading component business serving the Houston and S. Texas market.

I sent my DBA and other paperwork to Lawrence along with a check for the minimum order of 8,000 pounds. That's pretty much how it works with Lawrence.

Randy Wall
    Big Guy's Shooting Supply
    low8X2@yahoo.com

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Landshark,

Is the wholesale price worth it?

5. Tracer

Tracer Member

I have about 8 tons I could send you. 7's, 7.5's, 8's & 9's. Wholesale is about $32.25 now and I will let it go for $28.50 per bag. Del

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you tell them you want to buy a truckload (40,000 pounds) they will give you a price. I sent them an email saying I was interested in a truckload and the sales manager called me the next day. They did quote me a price. This was over a year ago.

Jim Skeel

7. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Why is everything sold have a mark-up of about 300%. Diamonds, cars, tools, boats, and shot at $33.00 a bag the guy is only making $1.00 a bag. That's what they (the dealers) tell me they are making per bag. Reguardless of the market price of lead I can"t see a guy moving a bag of lead 2 or 3 times before it's out the door for $1.00 and tax on that $1.00 to.

I worked for a guy that sold hot tub parts. He would sell a moter to a plumber for $175.00,another dealer $125.00 and the guy off the street $280.00. Motor cost to him $23.75. It was that way with all his parts. A dealer could not stay in business at $1.00 a bag.

8. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I've often wondered the same thing why a dealer would want to set on a pallet or two of lead to make $1/bag. I won't touch something if I can't turn a minimum of a 20% profit and if I'm only making 20% on something it better sell itself as quickly as I can get my hands on them.

9. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I sure as hell wouldn't want to make a living out of trying to sell lead shot. I could see it now, buy a truck load 40,000lbs - 1600 bags at $25 a bag and price drops $5 a bag overnight.

A damn trapshooter will go by a local dealer and drive 100 miles down the road to save a quarter a bag, and then only buy 4 bags in hope that he can save another quarter a bag at the state shoot come June. LOL And being a normal trapshooter on that 100 mile road trip he will have to stop and eat on the way to, and eat again on the way home. LOL

That's the not so funny thing about this sport. It is expensive, but there doesn't seem to be many people making a good living off of the sport. Sure there are a few big gun dealers doing okay, and maybe a few more, but look at the majority.

10. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I opened my shop in Oct. 2001 shot was 12.00 a bag dealer cost, I sold it for 13.00. now its 33.95 and I sell it for 35.00. You are right about shooters driving 30 or 40+ miles to save .50 a bag or a couple of bucks on 8#'s of powder or primers. trap shooters are among the cheapest people I know. If I relied on making a living on shooting supplies only I would not stay open. Some one will always have some supplies cheaper than me and others supplies more yet I enjoy shooting and meeting new people and talking with the people thayt have bought from me since I opened my shop.

11. Landshark

Landshark Member

Rich

I already had 2000 pounds pre-sold when I ordered the initial 8000 pounds. If all I was making was a $1 a bag, I would have not gotten into this business. I also sell powder, primers and wads.

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

One of those things in retailing that you carry just for the good of the order. What's funny are the guys that travel 50 miles to save a dime per bag.

13. rebelpenn

rebelpenn Member

Landshark, you have a p.m.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.