1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawrence or Eagle Shot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mark425, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Like it says in the question...which is better or which would you choose? My local supplier has changed to Eagle Shot but I have never used it before, have to drive a few hours for Lawrence. Both are within pennies of each other so price is not that big of a deal. Would be buying 15 bags of 7.5 Magnum. Which one?

2. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

The Eagle 3% shot is imported from Peru, but remains very popular among shooters. Lawrence is an American made shot the last time I checked.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Dealers locally are not restocking Lawrence and West Coast because the price is too high. They stock what sells and that's Eagle.

MK

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Figure on paying about $1 more for West Coast or Lawrence. Trapshooters are notoriously economical and have no qualms about shooting a few pebbles (re-claimed) through a $15,000 gun to save money. You get what you pay for!!

5. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

I use Lawrence whenever possible because of the aforementioned fact That it is MADE IN THE USA. Other than that I can't tell any difference.

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Buy American if you can , or buy what is close . If more Eagle brand is sold then maybe Lawrence will drop their price . Why 7 1/2`s ??

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Take the time to measure the pellets of both domestic and imported brands. You'll likely find that imported 7-1/2s are in between American 7-1/2s and 8s in size and the 8s are between an American 8 and 8-1/2. Maybe that's due to metric sizing?

I bought 100 bags of Eagle shot for $16.27 a bag when shot was on the rise in price four or five years ago. I use the Eagle 8s in one-ounce 16-yard loads and the 7-1/2s in 1-1/8 16-yard loads for when I shoot in real cold, damp weather. I keep my Lawrence and West Coast 7-1/2s for my handicap shells even though I know good handicap shooters who use nothing but 8s from 27 yards. I figure I need all the help I can get!

Ed

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My opinion is that Eagle brand magnum shot is OK for 16 yard and short handicap. Lawrence brand shot is better and gives me a higher degree of confidence in my reloads.

Lawrence, West Coast and Remington STS have a higher antimony content, around 6% I think, and are better for longer handicap and to match the performance level of factory premiun ammunition.

For a while, Eagle or Star, both from Peru, were all that I could find locally and they worked fine for practice. I load 1 oz at 1150 fps of 8's for practice and shoot extra full and really get smoke balls if I center the target.

If I can find it locally, I prefer Lawrence.

If you center the target, each will smoke a target.

Ed Ward

9. lancelot

lancelot Member

I have several times weighted the amount of shot a 1 1/8 oz bar throws using Eagle, and Lawrence Magnum . In all cases the amount of Lawrence weighted less than the amount of Eagle. It proves to me that the Lawrence has a higher antimony content than the Eagle, and I don't buy Eagle any longer.

Best of luck, Ron Ireland

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"It proves to me that the Lawrence has a higher antimony content than the Eagle, and I don't buy Eagle any longer."</I></blockquote>

Always a puzzle...

The shot with the higher antimony content stays a bit rounder but its lighter weight means it carries less energy downrange. The shot with less antimony may get a tad out of round but it carries a bigger punch to the target.

Which is gives the better advantage?

MK

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've pondered that myself. My scores are no different with either type of shot.

Ed

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

MK- The energy in each shot is not real important when it hits the target. The key is the amount of energy transfered to the target before the target breaks. The remaining energy in the shot after breaking the target just keeps the shot flying down range. After the threshold of force required to break the target is reached, no additional energy can be transfered to the target.

This means the hard shot that produces a better pattern is the best to use. Both hard and soft shot will transfer equal amounts of energy to the target as will shot traveling at 1000 ft/sec. and shot traveling at 1100 ft/sec.

Pat Ireland

13. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Old AA or STS for reloading?

Same type question.

Buy whatever they have and spend more time centering targets than worrying about if enough antimony is in each pellet.

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Hard shot does in fact pattern better than soft shot. However, soft shot transmits more energy to the target, as conclusively proven by the Italians in the middle Ages when they found that hard iron cannon balls bounced off castle walls, while soft iron ball transferred their energy to the wall and broke them. There are other reasons as well.

I use West Coast Magnum shot for all shooting, because it is good, round shot, and I am lazy. I have all my bushings reamed to throw exact weights of that shot, and I don't want to fiddle with different bushings. If I did, I'd use Star magnum shot (actually soft) made in Argentina for all singles.

15. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Mark425, Do you load to save money, or is it a hobby, or do you want to make a shell comparable to premium loads? Since your not concerned with the price or the gas money and time to drive a few hours to get the Lawrence, I would buy the Lawrence Brand.

Wayne

16. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I load to save money first AND to duplicate premium loads. Its not a hobby...its more of a necessary chore. The price difference is 0.45 cents per bag from my local suppliers. I did not count the 10 gallons of gas needed to make the trip for the Lawrence shot. Adding in the gas....when its all said and done the Lawrence willl cost me about $2 a bag more. Still thinking ...as was said earlier...its a puzzle.

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I would prefer the Lawrence or West Coast shot. I've found them to be a bit more consistent and harder than the Eagle or Star. I've measured a bunch and weighed a bunch and looked for overall roundness. For 16's or practice, Eagle would do. For serious business, I'd go for Lawrence. Remember that Lawrence also makes "Chilled" shot, which is softer, if one desires softer shot.

18. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

I can't believe for 30 years I've spent thousands of dollars trying to find the perfect gun and never taken into consideration that the shot I use may not be concentric or hard enough. I wonder what else I have overlooked?

19. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I posed the same question to a good friend of mine not too long ago. A fine young college boy who has considerable more experience reloading than me, I was interested in his opinion--or so I thought......

As he sat there with his posterior propped up on the tailgate of my truck clutching my beloved Sweet-pea that I was loaning him for doubles with his grubby mitts, he smugly stated:

"Eagle is good enough for what you do, I prefer hard shot."

Flabbergasted by his gall and complete indifference for the respect of his elders, I told him to get his butt off my tailgate and kiss my arse.

Sadly, a cursory review my scores on the ATA site would validate his opinion on the appropriateness of soft, less than premium shot in my case; however, it would not exonerate my smart-mouthed friend from insubordination and conceit.

Watch your back 100-1.....

Guy Babin

aka

Soft Shot

20. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I have patterened Lawrence and Eagle and cannot see any significant, measurable difference. Lawrence lists an equivalent hardness factor of 4-6% antimonial lead alloy for their magnum shot and 2% for their chilled. I do not believe there is an industry standard for lead shot, either.

Even so, I'll buy Lawrence if I can (that means if available and if there is not too much difference in the price) simply because it is made in the USA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
lawrence vs eagle magnum lead shot reviews

lead shot lawrence vs eagle