1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawrence chilled or magnum, which is better!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by VNVET, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VNVET

VNVET Member

Which is better for 27 yd caps? Lawrence makes both chilled and magnum and I assuming magnum would be the harder and use it in my 1 1/8oz, 1225 fps loads. There was a discussion in another thread about shot and it got me to thinking, maybe I should try some chilled shot.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Mix it all together and you will have the best of both worlds. HMB

3. VNVET

VNVET Member

Jerry, thanks for the reply. I thought it might be just personal preference. I'm shooting a P gun with fixed choke and factory big bore and it patterns well. Of course, I'm always looking for the holy grail without having to do the work. It might help if I knew which was the harder shot, magnum or chilled.

Jim

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Jim, it's a lead pipe cinch that Lawrence Magnum with 5% Antimony is going to pattern a little tighter than Lawrence Chilled at 2% Antimony. Been there, done that, way more times than I want to remember. That being said, Lawrence Magnum is not as round as some other premium shot, so if I had a choice (and I do) I'd use West Coast magnum instead (and I do).

Lawrence Chilled is outstanding shot, and considerably better than Eagle or Star, so for certain I'd use it over either of them.

If you are limiting it to just Lawrence, I'd use the Magnum from 23 and back, because you can use that extra few percent of PE. For Singles and short yardage, I don't think it matters.

5. VNVET

VNVET Member

ZZT, thanks for the reply and that's just what I was looking for. Because of the shipping cost I usually buy through my club and Gamaliel is their supplier. I can order Lawrence shot thru them either chilled or magnum. West Coast Bullets (when I was shooting IPSC) made the best 45ACP bullets available, but alas I'm too old for that game anymore. I'm sure their shot is equally as good. I think I'll stick with my Lawrence Magnum.
    Jim

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Shoot anything cheap. I've shot everything there is from the 27, reclaimed, #7.5-#9's. ect. I've found just about anything works. But I prefer 7.5's, and I don't care who makes it, as long as it's cheap.

7. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

it all depends on what color socks that you are wearing.

8. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

When given the choice I would always use harder shot from the 27. Simply, as others noted, it WILL pattern more consistency and tighter.

I don't care about the brand. In any brand shot whether Lawrence, West Coast, Eagle, et al, for any given manufacturer the magnum shot is the better choice from long range handicap.

As has also been noted for shorter range handicap and 16's you have much greater latitude. At the 27 everything has to be optimum for consistent high scores including the shooter. I doubt whether any of the All Americans use less than the best for their personal 27 yard use.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.