1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawrence Brand Shot??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Lawrence is factory Mfgd and is very good stuff. I used it for years

2. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

It is the same as west coast shot. Made by the same company.

Dave

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Lawrence is factory Mfgd and is very good stuff. I used it for years

4. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

It is the same as west coast shot. Made by the same company.

Dave

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Yes, It is excellent shot and I shoot it all the time. Its hard to find Rem. STS or Win. AA shot around my neck of the woods, but if you look hard enough you can find it for abit more money a bag if you think its worth it. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

6. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Just bought 2 bags for $35.00 from a lady who had them on Craig's List. Wish she had 100 more bags!

Pat

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Lawrence usually has 2 grades, but only 50 cents or so difference in price. I have tried most brands on the market over the past 45+ years, and it seems like the main difference in how well I hit targets is more between my ears than what's in the shell. So to answer your ? Yes it's as good as most any on the market.

P.S. Lately I have been using re-claimed shot which is most likely a mix of just about everything available, appears to be mostly 7&1\2s & 8s, I was told it came from a club that shot only trap (i.e. no skeet) so far I have no complaints, & it's about $10.00 cheaper per 25# bag. If I were to shoot any registered targets I would probably just buy some new shells (I know that's between my ears too). Ross Puls

8. gordy h

gordy h Member

What are the 2 grades?

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Lawrence Magnum and Chilled are the two grades of shot.

10. Skeetbender

Skeetbender Active Member

Chilled is the softer cheaper shot.

Magnum the harder and more expensive.

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Good shot Don't worry about it.

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Yea.. but anybody who has ever patterned a shotgun does! I think it is funny that trhe same person who would never shoot a 1oz reload will load soft/chilled grade shot!Jeff

13. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

Chilled vs. magnum is like 7&1/2s vs. 8s....years gone by chilled was about all that was available. I was a hold out for to go to the magnum in my area due to the sucess I had with the chilled. 100 straights & made the 27 with it & it just happened to be Lawrence brand. Couldn't see the reason to change, but I finally did. I really don't see much, if any, difference. I don't get too wrapped up with what comes out the end of the barrel so long as the barrel is pointed where it is supposed to be!

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Bob Griffith, Point taken but what I am alluding to is the higher pellet count in the magnum shot load VS the standard/chilled shot load. My shooting partenr shot chilled until we shot 10 patterns for average with Premium shot VS chilled shot. He never shot chilled shot again.

The only time it could make a real diffrence is on a poorly pointed target. The same time a 1 1/8 load makes a diffrence VS a one ounce load. Jeff

15. quartering

quartering Active Member

check out mayco's website. they're the parent company of lawrence and west coast and they make all things lead - it's kind of interesting. i spoke with robyn richardson at lawrence brand a few years ago about rising shot prices and volume discounts. she's great to talk to - very informative and very forthcoming. my plan was to drive up there and have them drop a ton of bulk shot into the back of my tarp lined truck bed. she explained how they shipped out something like 200 tons of shot a week, all of it bagged, and how i could get it cheaper from a distributor like gamaliel's than i could buying it directly from them. anyway, it must be the gold standard for shot as i don't think anybody else makes shot anymore. good luck with it

16. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Jeff, It makes sense that there would be more pellets in a bag of magnum shot because it it lighter but the loader drops by volume. So each shell should have the same number of pellets whether it is chilled of magnum as long as they are the same size.

17. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Johnny Your loader may drop by volume but loaders like mine you set the measure to drop by weight. That is one of the advantages of a Dillon. Therefore you have more shot in a shell with mag shot.

Dave

18. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Dave, Sure, you can adjust the Dillon for weight but the number of pellets will remain the same regardless of which shot brand is used, as long as the pellet size is the same. So, you can adjust for 1 1/8 oz of magnum, then switch to chilled and the count will be the same.

19. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Once again the highly technical concept of "density" raises its ugly head. :)

Michael

20. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I load on a PW and friend loads on a Mec with an adjustable charge bar. We shoot games and load the same book 1-1/4 oz load with Unique in the same hulls.

My friend complained about heavy recoil and my first question do have powder scales and do you use them, yes he answered. I said here try my load, he said this isn't the same as mine its to soft are you sure this is an 1-1/4 oz, yes I told him, let me try yours. Kee-rap! his rocked me. It turns out he was opening the adjustable shot bar to drop a full 1-1/4oz as measured on his scale. A standard shot bushing is bored to drop a given weight with #9's, so I've been told. When you move to larger shot size the bushing doesn't drop the same weight, His true 1-1/4oz drops increased pressure and caused more set with the heavier shot mass.

I would think with the shot bar opened to drop a true 1-1/8oz of 7-1/2's you feel more recoil with a 3 dram trap load?

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

where is lawrence brand shot made

where is lawrence shot made

where is lawrence shot made at