1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawrence Brand Mag. Shot???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 4th. down, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Opened a new bag of Lawrence Brand Mag. Shot # 8 1/2's today, purchased 3 weeks ago.

New shot mixed with reclaimed - when I was pouring the new bag into the loader the dust was almost too much for me. First time I have seen new shot mixed with reclaimed by Lawrence for their mag. shot - anyone else seeing this?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Why do you think it was reclaimed? Could it be oxidized shot that they failed to graphite? HMB

3. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Well, it appears to be #7 1/2 shot and you could be right - but it looks reclaimed - not shiny at all.

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

It got wet and laid around. Or stored in a damp area at some time in it's shelf life, maybe it was old stock.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. quartering

quartering Active Member

does it all roll around on a plate easily? reclaim usually has a flat side or two

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Does the bag look factory stitched, and have a UPC label glued to it (b/w the 2 flaps, and held in w/ hot glue and the stitching)? I wonder if someone is refilling bags and passing the shot off as new...

7. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

You're going to disparage a reputable company because the shot in the bag isn't shiny enough? Sheesh!!! It has to be cheaper to package their commercial shot than it is to go out and get reclaimed stuff and mix it with their own. Just my two cents....

8. rmy

rmy Member

4th.down, I had the same experience with my last order of West Coast shot. New shot, but oxidized. My charge bar which usually throws 492 grains, throws 463 grains with this shot. Shot did not get wet while I've had it, and no high humidity. Very disapointing. rmy

9. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I was told along time ago. "Shiney, don't break Targets"!

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Worst I had was Eagle shot.

Probably not good to inhale that dust either. Few of us have adequate ventilation in our reloading rooms. Same with powder dust.

11. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

The shot was in a new bag with a bar code tag.

There is maybe 10 pellets in a 1 oz. load so it's no big deal - just wondering. This shot is new from production, the bag looks like it just came off the line but there was dust in it like you couldn't believe.

And no, I am not dishing Lawrence, Ole Tallpaul. I have some more 8 1/2 bags and will post my findings.

12. chipking

chipking TS Member

I have had the same problem with several bags I bought. Funny thing is the good stuff had the label sewn in between the bag sides. The BAD stuff did not BE VERY CAREFUL around the dust that is Lead Oxide dust and is very bad for you. This stuff was bad enough that it bridged several times in a 20 ga drop tube. Supposed to be # 8 but from the looks it had some of everything from 7 1/2 to 9 in it. What a mess that was. Bought 20 bags from a reliable source and still have about 10 to go. Since quite a few others have also reported similar issues in many different parts of the country it is either a HUGE counterfeit ring OR The shot makers are getting greedy and selling the sweepings and culls for top dollar. West Coast and Lawrence are the same manufacturer.

BUT Since I ain't gonna shoot gravel I guess I will just have to use it up.

--- Chip King ---

13. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

I don't doubt your findings. and to ask the question about your experience is understandable, if not, appreciated. I just don't understand where the reclaimed shot comment is warranted. This is a forum read by thousands, and we are all responsible for our sport. The manufacturers of the consumables we use are an integral part of our somewhat flimsy future. We all need to be thoughtful of how and what we post on this forum. I mean no ill will nor malice. If there is a manufacturing issue at the Lawrence facility, we all deserve an answer.

14. skeet_man

My first contact would have been to Lawrence (they have a website w/ contact info) with pics, and let them provide a response to the issue.

I can't envision how this is happening at the factory. Every bag of #9s I've opened in the last few years has been flawless.

15. skeet_man

BTW, west coast and lawrence are owned by the same parent company (Metalico), but are produced in different facilities. That further adds to the mystery.

16. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

I have contacted Mayco, we will see what their response is.

What is strange about this is the bag looks as if it just came off the press with the bar code attached but yet the shot was loaded with an orange like dust.

I have just opened up a 2nd. new bag of 8 1/2 and it's worse than the first - it appears about 30% is reclaimed or whatever you want to call it - it's not new shot, which of course I paid for.

It may sound silly but it could be counterfit - this type of shot in this brand new bag with a new bar code tag looks phony. Will see what Mayco says as referenced previously.

17. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

About 15 years ago I new of a company that made shot for many different types and reasons. They made lead and steel. Steel shot was for oil wells and shotpeening for stressreliving. Lead shot for e-ray units also for shooting. They made the shot and distributors put their own brand name on them and sold to who ever. I had seen steel shot being sold as lead. Lead shot sold as steel.The size of shot did not matter to this company or the distributors as long as it was close. Beaware that some of the so called brand stuff you buy could be from good deal charlie with large quanities at a low price and the clubs or what ever thought they had a good deal only to find out they have been hoodwinked. yes it happens especially when prices start to fall and it needs to be unloaded before the bottom falls out.
    You can be sure that the true manufacturing co's. are not distributng bad goods. It would hurt their reputition eventually. Check out the good deals before you buy. Wild Bill

18. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Well, I decided to run a magnet through the 2 bags of 8 1/2 - no steel, so it probably is not reclaimed as most of the reclaimed I have seen has at least some steel in it even though it may be a very small amount.

19. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

I heard from Mayco on the referenced problem.

Long story short - they do use reclaimed shot but it's melted down and reprocessed, dropped, graphited, etc.

They were sorry this happened but said they process over 1 million pounds per mo. and sometimes there is a slip, like in the rug slipped.

They ended up with hoping I will continue to use Lawrence Brand Mag. Shot. Guess I will because I cannot get West Coast Mag. down in Houston. Oh well, on to bigger projects.

20. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

I heard from Mayco on the referenced problem.

Long story short - they do use reclaimed shot but it's melted down and reprocessed, dropped, graphited, etc.

They were sorry this happened but said they process over 1 million pounds per mo. and sometimes there is a slip, like in the rug slipped.

They ended up with hoping I will continue to use Lawrence Brand Mag. Shot. Guess I will because I cannot get West Coast Mag. down in Houston. Oh well, on to bigger projects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.