1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

lawnmower problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I've got a lawnmower that will not run, in fact I got 2 of em. Both are 6hp Briggs on push mowers that I use to trim with, mow the rest with the rider.

The engine will fire and run for a second or two, no more. Okay, so I took the carb off and soak it in carb cleaner overnight. Went and got carb overhaul kit, replaced everything, blew out all holes/air passes with compressed air. Put it back together and it does the same thing. Took carb back apart to see if I missed anything, dialed up Briggs diagram on internet, everything is correct and in it's place.

Gas line clean, float bowl full of good fuel, it just will only run for a second or two. Any ideas, other than getting a different mower? It is only a couple years old.

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I learned years ago when something like this happened.. take it to the shop and get it fixed.. they know right off the bat what the problem is and how to fix it, you will be money ahead and no headaches by taking it in.. I have run a machine shop for 30 years.. my truck wouldnt haul off the parts that people brought to me to fix..AFTER they had already broken a eze out off in them trying to shade tree fix it them selves.. good luck!

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

What's the spark plug look like after it shuts itself off? If the porcelain is black, the engine is being flooded with an excessively rich fuel mixture. If it's grayish-white, the fuel supply is being cut off and the fuel mixture is too lean. If it's tan to brown, the engine is getting the proper amount of fuel and the problem cause is likely electrical. That will get you moving in the right direction, at least.

Ed

4. VNVET

VNVET Member

The diaphram in the older carbs are not compatable with the alcohol blend in todays fuel. The alcohol swells the rubber and ceases to pump fuel. Search out a kit from the carb manufacturer compatable with alcohol fuels.

Jim

5. drh08

drh08 TS Member

I don't do carb kits and I don't soak a carb. Honestly for $50.00 they give you a new carb to put on which removes all doubts. Saves time and frustration. However this wouldn't solve a spark problem, but that probably isn't the issue as it does spark for a few seconds.

6. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

I had a smaller briggs doing the same thing. The little drain bolt that holds the float bowl on the bottom of the carb (on newer smaller briggs) must be turned the right way. If You look closely it has a hole that lets fuel go up through the center of it, that has to align with a slot in the threads. Its real easy to miss, I did for a whole afternoon. If you've Overtightened it just the slightest bit it wont run. Hope this helps.

William,

7. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Get rid of mowers that have Briggs engines. I had several mowers in the past that had B&S engines, hardest dam things to start after running for a while.

I now have a John Deere Model JE75 mulcher that has a 6.0 HP Kawasaki engine.

This is the BEST DAM mower/engine I ever owned. Easy to start, runs smooth at idle. I purchased it in 2002 and it is still running like new, great machine.

Go with Kawasaki!

Frank

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Frank, next time you buy a mower, check out one with a Honda engine. I bought my first one nine years ago on a Honda hodrostatic drive walk-behind for our mowing business - 6.5HP, I believe. I took the mower home, put oil and fuel in it and it started on the second pull! Now that the fuel system is primed, it can go unused for two weeks and still starts on the first pull. I had one Kawasaki - on a John Deere walk-behind that preceded the Honda - and it ran with a lot more vibration under load than the Honda.

I was so impressed with that first Honda that I now specify Honda powerplants on all our mowers and other power equipment - even pressure washers. We have 24HP OHV V-twins on our Scag commercial mowers and they run much smoother at wide open throttle than a 23HP Kawasaki that was on a demo mower that my dealer loaned me while I waited for my last Honda-powered Scag to come in. On top of that, they deliver much better fuel economy than the Kawasaki or our old 22HP and 25HP Kohlers. And I have yet to replace a valve lifter in a Honda - that was an every-other-year proposition with the Kohlers even though I changed the oil and filter with Mobil 1 every 50 hours.

Ed

9. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

I just replaced my Briggs powered push mower last year with a new 21" with a Honda engine.

Briggs can keep their piece of crap engines. Briggs was good back in the day.

Good luck with your mower problem. Sounds like a fuel problem.(Carb)

Regards, Pete

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Thanks for your input Guys. I got the mower going. I mowed with it for about an half hour, then shut it down. Tried to start it again later and it won't even fire now. I'll mess with it next week when it is time to mow again.

Briggs has gone down hill, they went after the low in market, and went cheap. You can buy a new 3 in 1 mower (side discharge, mulch, bag) for less than $200 at: Sears, Home Depot, Lowes.

I inherited a Toro push mower from my Dad. The thing is over 30 years old, and was used a lot because after my Dad retired he went into building spec houses. He not only mowed his own yard, but cut the grass at the spec houses at least 2 times a week to make em look sharp. That mower had a 3hp Briggs and it never gave him any problems, until the motor finally gave up the ghost a couple years ago. That 30 plus year old Toro was cast alumn deck, ball bearing wheels, etc and it is so much easier to push than my 3 year push mower I'm having the problem with. Well anyway I got a new 6hp Briggs and bolted it on the Toro late last Fall. Now that damn thing doesn't want to run most of the time.

Briggs puts those damn paper air filters on mower engines that sit right next to the ground. Especially in the Fall when mulching leafs you can clog one of those filters in a day! Go back to the oil soaked foam filter!!

In our shop years ago we had some equipment that ran 5hp Briggs, we would run those things 8 hours a day 52 weeks a year. Change oil every once in a while, and every year and a half change that diaphragm filter/gasket in the carb. We would get 5 years out of one of those engines. These new cheap Briggs probably wouldn't last 3 or 4 months.

10 years ago I got a piece of equipment that had a Honda motor on it. A one word description of that motor would be - Great! It can sit for months and will start on first pull.

Briggs cornered the market on the low end mowers and that is what their reputation will be - cheap.

11. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Talked to the car guy at work and he said Honda engines have overhead valves instead of valves along side the cylinder. The air flow is straight down in or up and out. Cool. He told me some of the history of car engines and I was remembering our old 54 Chevy truck had valves along side the cylinders. It was called a flat head, not to be confused with a flat top. Top speed was 45 mph.

12. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

replace your carb intake gaskets ............. I had one that started that about a week ago and replace the intake carb gaskets and it runs fine now.

13. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Checked mowers at Menards and saw the one I want - MTD brand, OHV (probably Nippon), rear wheel self propelled, dollies in front for wheels. $375. That's when Holga said "I'll see you boys at the check out counter".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.