1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn watering tip

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jimborn, Mar 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Thinking of putting in a seperate pump system for only yard use. We live in the country, and have our own well for personal use, but need a little more pressure and maybe think another "lawn pump" might be the answer. We are only 20 feet to water at this time (River High) in Western Nebraska. What does something like this involve in putting in??? I have NO CLUE at all. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks Jim

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I'd look at a pool pump. Fairly cheap and easy to find. A self contained unit that just needs power and an inlet pipe and outlet fittings for hose.

Put a foot valve at the bottom of the pick-up pipe. You can open the top of the skimmer basket and dump in a bucket of water to prime the pump if needed.

It won't give high pressure, but it will move a fairly large volume.

Should run two garden hoses easily.

Food for thought...

3. skeezix

skeezix Member

I think you have to start with how many square feet of lawn are you trying to water. Then you have to look at how much water you need to keep it green. IIRC I need 4-5 gallons per minute per each sprinkler head covering a 30' radius to keep my lawn green. I run 6 heads at a time for about 20 minutes a day per bank of 6 heads. If you run every other day then you will need more time or gpm.

Once you've determined flow rate - then you can look at what you need for a pump. Its best to get a pump that you can keep running continuously than one that starts and stops every few minutes - it's the start stop cycles that kills pumps, more than the run time.

Last pump we put in we went to a variable frequency drive pump. It has a control unit that allows the pump to run at whatever speed it needs to in order to maintain water pressure. It was expensive up front - but it is really nice to have constant pressure - if only the sink is going - or if the sprinklers, laundry and the shower are going- it doesn't matter.

john

4. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

Sent you a PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.