1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn Tractor advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by stickbird, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stickbird

stickbird TS Member

I have recently had someone clear about 10 acres of woods around my house and plan on planting grass and am looking into buying a used lawn tractor.
    I would like to build a chain harrow drag to pull and smooth out where the tractor has been and prepare the ground where I plan to grow grass.
    I am wondering if a larger lawn tractor is strong enough to pull the chain harrow around to do the clean up and maybe pull a small trailer?
    I have been doing some of this with my golf cart but I think that I should get the lawn tractor for doing this type of work.
    I wonder if a lawn tractor can handle the pulling of small ATV farm implements or just made to cut grass>?

any advice would be great.
    Thanks
    Jim

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The biggest issue is a chopper. If your going to chop weeds and thick grass with a PTO driven chopper/mower, a 40 horse tractor is the minimum size. I'm shopping for one right now. My current rig is a 30 horse, and it barely can handle the 6' chopper in my CRP. All the other stuff can be pulled with an ATV if it's 6' wide or less. I'm looking at a New Holland TC40A tomorrow. If just want a Mower, try a Hustler.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have 20 horsepower Craftsman lawn tractor with a 42" mowing deck and it has plenty of power to pull a 4x4x4 box trailer full of wood. I have smoothed out some sandy soil with a chain link drag no problems. Also use the lawn tractor to pull a few kids around on sleds in rare event that we get snow. I would think the limitation with pulling a small harrow would be the limited traction you have with the typical low ground pressure lawn tires. Since you are putting in a big lawn you will need the lawn tractor anyway go ahead and buy one now and try it out pulling the harrow. I'll bet it will do just fine.

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Forget the Craftsman and the rest of super light duty stuff, you need a 30+ HP John Deere that will last 30 or more years. It has to be diesel for that many acres and expect to pay about 10G's for a used one.

5. warren

warren Member

Nothing runs like a Deere

warren

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I started with similar ideas when I bought my house. I now have a 40hp diesel tractor. You need to think bigger, much bigger. Surely you don't plan to mow 10 acres with a lawnmover.

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Think of it this way, your going to cut your 10 acres maybe 10 times a year. Thats 100 acres, now multiply that times 10 years, 1,000 acres. There is 640 acres in a square mile, You need a real tractor not some lawn or garden tractor.

8. John Stefanowicz

John Stefanowicz TS Member

Pull a mattress spring behind a GT or 30hp tractor. Very effective.

9. stickbird

stickbird TS Member

Thanks to those that responded.
    I have 30 acres total I just cleaned up 10 acres and only plan on mowing about 1 acre of grass around the house.
    I need to drag the chain harrow to smooth out some rough spots left by the tractor tires.
    Thanks
    Jim

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Use a truck to drag the harrow.

11. andybull

andybull Active Member

30 HP minimum. I have two Kubotas, a 30 with a front end bucket and a ninety (both 4x4's), a Deere is good also.

12. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

For the amount of mowing you are going to do look into Dixie Chopper, Hustler or Toro Zero turn mowers. They all come in various cut widths and are fast cutters. I have found the Hustler the fastest. You can set them up to drag and tow. All are great machines and will last you a long time. Jake

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

stickbird,

If may make a suggestion. Go rent whatever you need to level the ground. You can usually rent a tractor with a grater box for $200 a day.

If the ruts aren't deep, I'd just walk the 10 acres with a rake and knock down the high spots. Between the rain and the vegitation it will smoothout just fine. How smooth does it need to be if you're not mowing it?

ss

14. tachyon

tachyon Member

A lot depends on the quality/hardness of the soil, how many rocks etc. Light loamy soil is easier to work with than clay or rocky clay.

Do you plan on letting all but one acre go back to a natural state or will you mow it occasionally?

With that much land you will find many uses for a tractor. I second the 30 hp minimum. Like some others I started with something less powerful and discovered that bigger is better.

15. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I think you should have something like this.

Will outwork and outmow all but the biggest "lawntractors" and cost alot less.

16. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

if you have a pickup- why not use that?

no additional cost-

You arent going to be spending a lot of time at this

regard from Iowa

Gene

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

By a John Deere....well made and serviced by the dealer...

18. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

John Deere and only John Deere!

19. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Find yourself a Ford 8N or 9N. They are around 20 to 25 horse and run forever. You can do a bottom mount or a pull behind. The guy with the picture of the Farmall has the right idea.Of course, I grew up on a farm, so i am a little biased.The Ford also has a great rear mounted blade for pushing snow around. For 10 acres, stay away from any type of " lawn tractor". Be it a John Deere or a Cub or whatever. The new, lightweight, cheaper ones aren't made to cut that much grass. You will destroy it in a few years.

20. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I gotta agree with shortshucker, go rent something to level the ground. Rent a tractor with a gill or a skid steer with a rake attachment up front and level up the ground, then mow with whatever you got if you are only going to mow 1 acre.

You can rent those things at the rental stores, or go to a Cat, JD, Bobcat dealer, they all rent em. They will even deliver em, if you don't have a trailer. I've rented em on a Friday afternoon or early Saturday morning and they are not needed back till Monday morning. Watch the hour meter if you are renting for one day and you keep it for the weekend.

It will get the job done, and is fun at the same time. You can rent a new Cat skid steer with tracks and have one hell of a weekend. Prices vary as to location.