1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn Mower Class Action Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jerbear, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

If you have not received a post card in the mail, above it the site for the class action law suit against the engine makers of riding and push lawn mowers.

Above is the site to the class action suit. For a walk behind mower, it's $35 each. For a rider it's $75 each.

Engine ratings are reported to be bogus.

I sent my 3 mowers information in already.

Jerbear

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

We'd expect nothing less from you Jerbear.

3. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

And today's number 1 reason for America being in the can,......is????????????

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I thought it was a scam, but I got two cards in the mail, so I called my trapshooting buddy who owns a Honda Power Products dealerships.

He said all, (Sears, Honda, MTD, John Deere, etc) had claimed higher horsepowers than they should have. He said Sears would take the same engine, and from year-to-year, slap on a higher HP sticker, but they all got caught.

On-line, I registered my two Honda self-propelleds, and Honda garden tractor.

Whiz

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Both my new and old lawnmowers work fine. What do I care that the sticker on the cover says 3-1/2 or 6.0? People are always looking for an excuse to make money even if it is for things that do not even bother them. Get ready for the same thing on air compressors, they have been inventing new ways of rating air compressor power for years. It is all silly stuff. It only trips up those who are not educated enough to wade through the sales non sense and understand the truth.
    Power drill ratings have gotten silly too, maybe we can sue them.

6. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

The small electric motor industry is probably next. The ratings on Shop-vac's are comical.

7. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

Sounds like fun... Kinda of like the long distance telephone tax credit everybody got three years ago, $30 to $60 for everybody, all you had to do was say you had a phone at some time in your life and remember to add $60 bucks in on the right line. You know, the phone companies were supposed to pay the government back for that,... but it never happened due to mergers and other bankrupts.

I'm pretty sure of this too, for every $35 or $75 claim filed, there is a slew of liti_"gators", (class action lawyers like John Edwards) getting $200 for each claim.

Don't worry, the taxpayers will bail out the companies before they go Chapter 13,... gotta save them jobs, what few we have left in America, actually making stuff, like lawnmowers.

What's the harm in running the printing $$$ presses a few more months for more bailouts? They say the best thing you can do right before you declare bankruptcy is run up every charge card you have to the limit.

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Remember air compressors?! Bought a Craftsman no-Oil, issues with horsepower ratings for my 30 gal. Lawnmower postcard received!

regards,

Jay

9. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Went on line and filled out the form, can't wait to get the (??) $35.00 settlement money. At least, I now can afford a bag of shot!

Frank

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I wonder if the HP rating on my Honda powered pressure washer is accurate? I'd hate to find out it can't do the job now.

On the other hand, there needs to be some penalty for companies that engage in false advertising. Fines simply go to the government. A class action suit at least gets some money back in the hands of the consumer, though the legal overhead is a major drawback. And send out a coupon good for money off on the next purchase of the same type of equipment is bogus (GM loves that one). What really should happen is to be able to fine a company and reimburse consumers directly in lieu of a class action lawsuit. But the lawyers would never allow that law to pass.

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

So...we have to enrich the lawyers...to give Jerbear $35 to pay his electric bill so he can continue to slow down the site by wallpapering it with lame videos.

Sweet.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    buzz-gun, quote: <i>"So...we have to enrich the lawyers...to give Jerbear $35 to pay his electric bill so he can continue to slow down the site by wallpapering it with lame videos. Sweet."</i>

Posting links to videos does not slow down this website. A link is merely a portal, and indeed it is nothing more than text. HTML is the compute code language for web pages. HTML = Hyper Text Markup Language. Pure text. A link to a video on another site take up extremely little in the way of bandwidth on the site the link is displayed at. Even embedded videos do not use up more than a tiny amount of bandwidth, because the targeted website is the one where the bandwidth is being used to present the video.

Photos are different. Those photos that are linked to other websites operate just like that described for embedded videos. But this site now has an option for uploading photos to the ts.com server. Now that will use up some bandwidth and resources here.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Eddiefromoverlook,

Is that your Law Mower ticking ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I read the lawsuit. Read the part about how much the lawyers will get.

They will receive 1/3 of the monetary settlement, and no more than $14,000,000.00
    of the warranty settlement, plus $1000.00 for Joe Blow and each and every other assistant who helped them, plus their litigation expenses????????

With a total settlement of $65 Million, how much will each claimant receive.

Am I reading this right?

Oh yeah, they will then divide up the remaining funds between the claims, if there is any left.

I can see it now......."Thank you for waiting two years for your monetary settlement. I was delayed in sending you the funds because my associates and I are laughing so hard over the millions we received for nothing, and the interest we earned on your monies.....I'm really sorry ,I can't type now I'm soooo happy."

"Please enjoy your settlement of $1.76, minus our postage of $.44 so spend your
    $1.32 in happiness."

PS...Your 1099 form will follow.

But really if this is for real, I wouldn't mind the extra one year warranty on the Kohler on my Dixie Chopper.

Danny

15. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

Here's what I got in an e-mail from consumers affairs website this morning.

i_shoot

16. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Why not go for the big buck$?

• Levin Simes has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for mesothelioma families.

These include:
    $11,500,000: Construction worker diagnosed with age 61
    $11,000,000: Construction worker age 66
    $10,700,000: Residential plumber age 51
    $9,650,000: Navy Officer age 61
    $8,650,000: Plant worker age 49
    $8,375,000: Plant worker age 69
    $6,900,000: Navy seaman age 49
    $6,750,000: Airplane part repairman age 58
    $5,650,000: Daughter of refinery insulator age 55
    $4,650,000: Navy fireman age 53
    $4,200,000: Hospital maintenance worker age 66
    $3,500,000: Son of auto worker age 51
    $3,475,000: Shipyard worker age 62
    $3,850,000: Daughter of refinery worker age 66

17. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Got the card.
    I thought the purpose of lawsuits was to recover financial losses? What is my "loss" if my John Deere only puts out 16hp instead of the the 18hp on the decal?? I bought it a year ago, it works fine, I have no complaints.
    Did this Mike Martinez (initiator of the suit) experience a loss when he determined his 6hp Snapper had the same engine as his neighbor's 5hp Snapper??

I think 221 hit the nail on the head....

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I get the problem with false advertising but as other posters have said, even though my '18' Hp mower may only be a 14 Hp, it still does everything I want it to and I didn't buy the model I did based on that 18 Hp sticker anyway.

I guess I just don't like the stink that lawyers put on things.

19. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

This is class action bullshit My JD selfpropelled works great-no matter the rated ponies.Another effen lawyer getting rich!!

20. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I thought this was a gun site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.