1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn experts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tcr1146, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Alright boys, that time of year. My dog and winter beat the hell out of my lawn. I need to overseed. However, if I remember correctly, I would then have to wait 6 weeks before I do the crabgrass prevention treatment. I guess I have two questions: Should I do the crabgrass treatment tomorrow which would make me delay the overseeding until 18 Apr, or should I overseed tomorrow which would delay the crabgrass prevention 6 weeks from now. Is 18 Apr in north central Indiana too late for crabgrass treatment?! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

If you have the option to put the preventer down now and wait until fall to overseed, that's best.

Otherwise, I'd try to get your grass germinated first, then do the crab preventer. Temp. has to get consistently warm before crabgrass will germinate, anyway. But if you do the preventer now, there's no guarantee your grass will germinate, and by the time it does, you'd be so close to hot weather it won't matter anyway.

But I never slept at the Sparta Holiday Inn and am not an expert.

3. tcr1146

That is the way I was leaning buzz but will wait to hear from more! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

A few gallons of round up, a good close cutting, and a whole bunch of green spray paint. Looks ok and is low maintainance. The other option is to pave it.

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Try these guys, they're fairly knowledgeable about grass and lawn care products!

Curt

6. tcr1146

Thanks Curt. Been using their products but my email to them on 2 Mar was never returned with answers. Searched their site and tried to find answers without much success! Tom Rhoads

7. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Don't email Scott's, they'll never answer. Call the 800 number 5 days a week and you can talk to a person. If she doesn't know, she will get in touch with an employee that can help you. That's what I've done and got the best results. Usually no help on the weekends.

Hope this helps.
    Roy

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I still have 2-3 feet of snow on my lawn. I assume it's still there.

9. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Just remember grass seed will not germinate unless in soil that will make mud. that means bare soil so chop up thsoe bad spots so there is mostly bare dirt for the seed to be in contact with. In the northern tier of states you can put grass seed down in months with 'r's ' in them, it won,t neccessarily germinate right away but it can be spread in those months. IMHO get that seed on the ground as soon as possible and cut your grass a bit higher and most of the crab grass will not have a chance to germinate. The taller cut shades the ground and prevents the crabgrass. Please go to the site I listed. Yes it is Ohio State and i am sure Indiana has the same thing but info is info no matter what university it is. Most every state has a 'land grant' university and has a similar website. Tons of info and it is free. Bill , ohioline.osu.edu/

10. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Put the website on the wrong line. Bill

11. tcr1146

Thanks Bill! It is supposed to rain off and on all week here so I did the broadcasting and will wait 6 weeks to do the crabgrass prevention! Tom Rhoads

12. TigerMyrtle

TigerMyrtle Member

Tom: Apply your pre-emergent as scheduled. Wait six to eight weeks and 'scuff' the soil where you intend to seed. Pre-emergent herbicides form a chemical barrier for prevention. If you disturb the soil the barrier becomes broken and you will have no trouble establishing turfgrass. Aerification on golf courses, sports fields is the same. Never apply pre-emergent and then poke holes in the area you have treated. Weeds will emerge every time. Choice number two would be to seed now and then use a product with dithiopyr. Dimension is the most common trade name for dithiopyr. Dithiopyr is the only pre-emergent I'm aware of that will take out crabgrass with five or less leaves AND provide protection from other crabgrass plants germinating. Want to learn more about dithiopyr go to Dow Agro-Sciences and read the product label for Dimension Herbicide. Many homeowner pre-emergent products contain pendimethalin which is also off patent but not nearly as effective over a longer duration.
    Eric Schmidt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.