1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Law on children 12 and under shooting?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blonde sporty shooter, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blonde sporty shooter

blonde sporty shooter TS Member

What actually does the law say about kids under 12 shooting? I thought that the law only pertained to hunting and that it was okay for kids to shoot under supervision at shooting facilities. Does anyone know where to get a copy of the law?

[​IMG]

2. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Look up the penal law in your state. In NY 11 yr. olds and younger are not allowed to shoot a firearm.

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The interpretations of IL laws are the following, based upon Illinois' three separate texts regarding firearms laws. Deadly Weapons Act 720 ILCS 5/24, FOID Act 430 ILCS 65/ and the Wildlife Code 520 ILCS 5/.

ILCS - Illinois Compiled Statutes

Breaking it down simply there is no minimum age to acquire a FOID card, but concealed firearms are prohibited to those under age 21/18 depending upon which statute you reference (go with more conservative text) Non-concealed/long guns/ammo (again the text varies among the statutes) can be possessed under age 18, but no ammo can be sold to one under 18 even with a FOID - so parents should have a FOID also.

Hunting does not require a FOID for a minor on a commercial hunt club as long as the minor is "accompanied" by a person with a FOID, but a minor shooting independently on a target range needs to be in the "immediate control" of an adult (21+) FOID carrying parent or person in loco parentis (bonafide class instructor or a non-instructor/person with express parental permission to supervise a child, not their own). Note, it has been interpreted to us that immediate control has a much higher degree of control on a target range.

Jay

4. magnumthunder

magnumthunder Member

Different laws for different states! In Minnesota any age. Any age to hunt small game & waterfowl but they must have firearms safety if they are older than 12! I know, dont make sense to me either!

5. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Eveidently it depends on the state. Here in the south kids learn to shoot at a very young age. Unfortunetly New York seems to be a state controlled by dirt bag anti gun liberals. I suspect the reasoning behind the 12 years old and older rule is to try and discourage young people from guns shooting altogether more than a "safety" issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.