1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Law makes gun owners store offsite

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Jerbear, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

These people are out of control.....

Democrat’s Proposal Will Force Gun Owners to Store Assault Weapons At Government Approved Storage Depots

Massachusetts State Rep. David P. Linsky and Barack Obama

Massachusetts State Representative David Linsky has filed a new bill that would force gun owners to undergo mental health background checks, pay an additional 25% tax on all forms of ammunition, and require firearms categorized as “assault weapons” to be stored outside of their homes at government approved sites.

“This bill is a comprehensive effort to reduce all types of gun violence – murders, intentional shootings, accidental shootings and suicides. There is not one solution to reducing gun violence – we can’t eliminate it – but there are a lot of common-sense steps that we can take to significantly reduce the everyday tragedy of gun violence and deaths,” said Linsky…

…“I have spoken with hundreds of people over the past few weeks in developing this legislation – victims, police officers, criminologists, physicians, and yes – gun owners and sportsmen,” stated Linsky. “There are a lot of good ideas out there. We should all have one goal – reducing gun violence and trying to keep more tragedies from happening.”

Provisions in the bill include:

Having one standard of the issuance of all gun licenses, giving local police chiefs the ability to evaluate all aspects of an application for a gun license.

Requires proof of liability insurance for possession of a firearm, rifle or shotgun.
    Requires that all large capacity weapons and grandfathered assault weapons must be stored at gun clubs or target ranges.

Requires live shooting as part of the curriculum for a basic firearms safety course; this is not a current requirement.

Requires all applicants for gun licenses and FID cards to sign a waiver of mental health records for review to be destroyed after decision.

Imposes 25% sales tax on ammunition, firearms, shotguns, and rifles; dedicates funds towards firearms licensing, police training, mental health services, and victim’s services.

Brings Massachusetts into compliance with the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).

Natick Patch Reported: (Source)
    http://natick.patch.com/articles/rep-linsky-files-legislation-aimed-at-reducing-gun-violence

Black Listed News Reported: (Source)
    http://www.blacklistednews.com/New_Proposal_Will_Force_Gun_Owners_to_Store_Assault_Weapons_At_Government_Authorized_Storage_Depots/23688/0/38/38/Y/M.html

Limits gun buyers to one firearm purchase per month.
    That way if someone breaks in your house, all you have to do is run down to the local gun storage facility to get your guns.

Jerbear

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Can we all say the word, Infringed!!

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

It's getting crazy now. What do these people think that the bad guy is going to wait for you to drive and get your gun?

This guy should be recalled ASAP.

Jerbear

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I am sure he did talk to gun owners, probably the same gun owners that posted on this site about there being no need for semi auto"s and we need not fear any legislation that would affect ownership of non military weapons.

Oh yeah,where are these fools now? Hope they are looking forward to a mental evaluation, licencing and a 25% tax on guns and anno.

I have noticed they have been a little quite here since NY's new law.

Just like shooters who have to best a previous loon's massacre, lawmakers will try to best each other with more draconian laws.

5. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

Rick,

There have been many posts on this site saying that gun violence problems, particularly mass shootings, are mental health problems. I agree with those ideas. On the assumption that you also agree that the problem is the shooter not the gun, how would you suggest that we filter out the mentally unfit to own a gun?

6. Rick Barker

You can't!

A person born with a mental illness, we often call slow or mentally under developed.

A sane person today, may go berserk tomorrow.

Mental illness is just that, an illness. People that are healthy one day get ill the next.

The question on the BATF form asks if you, the buyer have ever been adjudicated mentally defective? Is that the same as criminally insane, or mentally ill?

Perhaps you would be happy if all gun owners went through a monthly evaluation order to retain their gun ownership?

7. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

The simple fact of the matter is that you just can not legislate against crazy. You can make all the laws that you want but it will have no way to enforce it. You just can not use logical thought on an ilogical person. Just don't work. John

8. Traders

rick--bcnu

If I understand you correctly, are you suggesting that the background check should do away with issues of mental health since you believe that you can't filter out people unfit to own a gun or there is no way to enforce a mental health gun ownership law. If I am misunderstanding you, please correct me.

rick,

I do not believe that a "monthly evaluation" should be necessary to retain gun ownership, but I don't believe that the issuance of any kind of gun permit should be a lifetime decision. For the same reason the states do not issue lifetime drivers licenses.

9. Rick Barker

I stand corrected, the fools are still among us.

Don't know the difference between a right and a privilege. Driving a car is not protected by the bill of rights.

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

“This bill is a comprehensive effort to reduce all types of gun violence – murders, intentional shootings, accidental shootings and suicides. There is not one solution to reducing gun violence – we can’t eliminate it – but there are a lot of common-sense steps that we can take to significantly reduce the everyday tragedy of gun violence and deaths,”

"Having one standard of the issuance of all gun licenses, giving local police chiefs the ability to evaluate all aspects of an application for a gun license."

Well I don't understand how they can do this when the fact that there are Three different classes of licenses in the state. A class A LTC, A class B LTC, and the FID. They all have different requirements

"Requires proof of liability insurance for possession of a firearm, rifle or shotgun. Requires that all large capacity weapons and grandfathered assault weapons must be stored at gun clubs or target ranges."

If your firearm must be stored at gun clubs or target range. How is it in the owners possession???? So he wants to require the Legal gun owner to spend, in the case of a large capacity handgun (10 rounds or more) can cost in the neighborhood of $1000 or more. An AR 15 also about the same as the a large capacity handgun (at this time probably more in the near future). Then put it someplace other than under the legal gun owner's direct control. Also require the legal gun owner to be responsible for the firearm that is not under his control. How many here would do this. He is nuts he is a first class jerk.

"Requires live shooting as part of the curriculum for a basic firearms safety course; this is not a current requirement."

That is correct it isn't a current requirement. It also isn't a current requirement that an existing license holder needs a firearms safety course. to hold a license. So is he now advocating changing the already existing requirement for an LTC or FID????

"Requires all applicants for gun licenses and FID cards to sign a waiver of mental health records for review to be destroyed after decision."

These reviews are already required to obtain a LTC or FID. So now a waiver will be needed to do the same thing!!!!

"Imposes 25% sales tax on ammunition, firearms, shotguns, and rifles; dedicates funds toward firearms licensing, police training, mental health services, and victim’s services."

Lets see the existing law already says the LTC/FID will cost the licensee $100 for the license. For however many years it is good for. So does this mean that there is no more license fee. Are they expecting the licensed gun owner of the state to pay for police training? For who? Mental health services? For who? Victim's services, victims of what. John Q felon shoots someone so I as a legal gun owner am expected to pay for it???? John Q felon robs someones home and the legal gun owner is expected to pay for it???

"Brings Massachusetts into compliance with the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS)."

So as of now I pay for a license. The license process requires a NCIS check to get the license. This jerk wants to require a check that I already have.

"Limits gun buyers to one firearm purchase per month."

There are only 800,000 legal gun owners left in this state to start with. I doubt that they will all by one gun a month. So where will all this money come from to provide for.

"firearms licensing, police training, mental health services, and victim’s services."

Absolutely amazing and how is any of this going to reduce gun violence and stop the mass murders????? Starting where it says. This bill is a comprehensive effort. There isn't one thing that will reduce all types of gun violence!!!!

Actually if this wasn't so sad it would be funny!!!!!

Bob Lawless

11. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Ask any policeman or lawyer, driving is a privelidge. The 2nd is a right. You can look it up, it is a fact. If we were to have mental evaluations, who is to say who is crazy? You can't legislate against crazy. You just have to weed them out as best as possible. There lives evil in man and that's a fact. We have about the best crime rate of any country, better than those with total gun control. Again, look it up, it is a fact. John

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Where are the usual braying jackasses to tell us we need to compromise with the anti's?

Surely they approve of this and are eager to take one for the team.

13. Rick Barker

The intent of this bill is to make it difficult for prople to keep, buy or sell guns. It's only purpose is to make peole dispose of their arms.

Ever wonder if the test given for mental elvauation would be a guaranteed fail?

Being a State bill, this is all gun owners worst nightmare. Unless the State has a Second Amendment like the fed, these bills are very difficult to overcome if passed.

14. illusion

illusion TS Member

I think the mental illness should be require on all politician monthly or even weekly.

15. 1atatime

1atatime TS Member

The proposed law is intersting because, to my recollection, that is exactly what the people of Boston (MY GAWD... Is that in MASSACHUSETTS?) rebelled against in the 1770's and was a primary factor in the Boston Massacre. The Crown had ordered firearms be held in public storage! What is is they say about history repeating itself?

(Now I'm going to have to research that to see if my recollection is correct. Its a bear being older than dirt: can't remember things.)

16. Traders

Rick,

Try to focus on the question so let me rephrase it for you. "Do you believe that there should be a mental health gun ownership requirement even though gun ownership is a right?" I understand that calling me a "fool" might be personally satisfying, it merely indicates that you don't want to answer the question but do want to change the subject.

bcnu,

No you can't legislate against crazy, but you sure can attempt to control activities. Perhaps you believe that in the name of individual civil rights, we shouldn't do that. Let us all know. Since you believe "you can't legislate against crazy", how do you plan on "weeding they out". I'll be really interested in your response.

You said, "We have about the best crime rate of any country, better than those with total gun control. Again, look it up, it is a fact." Clearly you are looking at different data then I am. I thought we had by far the greatest amount of gun violence per capita of any developed country. Since gun violence not crime rate is the issue under discussion, I wonder if you could post the source of your statistics.

17. Brian in Oregon

Still nothing from the usual anti-gun shills here.

(....chirp....chirp....chirp....)

18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"You said, "We have about the best crime rate of any country, better than those with total gun control. Again, look it up, it is a fact." Clearly you are looking at different data then I am. I thought we had by far the greatest amount of gun violence per capita or any developed country. Since gun violence not crime rate is the issue under discussion, I wonder if you could post the source of your statistics."

You say that you thought we had the greatest amount of gun violence per capita of any developed country. Well I have a website address that gives a quite different outlook on what you thought. See the link above.

You also said,

"Since gun violence not crime rate is the issue under discussion"

Could you please explain since when has gun violence not been included in the crime rate statistics???? Maybe it is just since the Liberals have decided to exclude them from the words "crime rate"

No matter how you slice it if you murder, rob, or injure someone with a gun it is a crime. Unless you are judged innocent by way of justifiable homicide, or self defense. I think you will find it is still considered gun violence. I do believe that what you are asking about on this point is a fine line used by the gun grabbers.

With that being said you might want to see the following video. Then you will also see one of the major reasons that the last major gun control act was the 1994 assault weapons ban. BTW it is no longer in effect it hasn't been in effect for 9 years. The last major gun control act to go into effect happen 19 years ago. The interesting thing is the crime rate has fallen 50% since 1992 the murder rate has fallen about 54% in the same period of time. Any way here is the video

Bob Lawless

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ooa98FHuaU0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Brian in Oregon

Also, there is another factor involved with the large drop in the crime rate, and that is the increase in the number of states allowing concealed carry - especially those with "shall issue" laws.

More guns = less crime.

20. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

Another way to seperate us and our firearms Some of these people are so stupid.I think the ones thet voted this ass clown back in office should surrender their firearms to show their leader their support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gun control act and off site storage