1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Laugh if you must, but I

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

STRANGE!

This is a duplicate post. I don't recall posting it twice.

Larry

Goals are best achieved when they're written and stated publicly. That's what I'm doing with this post.

I started shooting shotgun sports in 2009. Four years later I'm collecting Social Security and I'm still at it, adding skeet and sporting clays along the way. I'm good enough at all three sports to not embarrass myself when I go our to "play".

On one hand, it is fairly common to fall into a belief pit that I'm getting too old to accomplish anything significant in sports, especially in ones that I've only been fumbling at for 4 short years. On the other, who could honestly predict whether I will fail?

I've been a member of ATA since early on, yet have never shot a registered target.

There are days when I think I should have stayed home and saved the fees and ammo costs. There are also days when I'm easily making smoke balls from 16 yards - and even farther back. That seems to suggest potential - if not for greatness, at least for a trophy of some sorts.

I'm publicly declaring today that I will shoot ATA targets, enter events, and compete for a prize. I will win something before I turn 70. I'll accept anything gratefully - but nothing for "most improved senior". Give that one to a real old guy.

I have 3 years and 5 months to succeed.

Larry

2. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Go for it. I got lucky and won some trophies last week.

D.O.B. 10-1-46

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Larry, just enjoy have fun and go out and do it, and you'll be rewarded by having done what you set out to do.

4. chino

chino Member

You guys give me hope!!!!!!!

5. SBray

SBray Active Member

Laugh if you must, but I'm serious about this

Larry,

Sounds like you have enjoyed clay sports and have learned to shoot well!

Here in northern California we have bay leagues that draw more shooters than some of the PITA and ATA shoots. In those leagues, many of the shooters are older folks that can really shoot! Some of the ones I have talked to say that they still enjoy the competition but don't want to shoot as many targets as the PITA and ATA programs offer.

Anyone that thinks they can easily win one of those league shoots had better be on their best game, because those old folks really know how to shoot!

Have fun at whatever you pursue!

Steve

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Go for it and do your best. I would rather lose then not know if I could. At least you tryed. Let us know how you do this year.

7. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Larry, I did not win a Grand trophy until I turned 70.
    Clyde

8. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

Larry,

I've been a competitive shooter for 71 years. At 82 I'm off to our State Shoot tomorrow. Some good scores, some bad.

Break them all,

Hank Cross

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.