1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Laugh if you must, but I am serious about this.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Goals are best achieved when they're written and stated publicly. That's what I'm doing with this post.

I started shooting shotgun sports in 2009. Four years later I'm collecting Social Security and I'm still at it, adding skeet and sporting clays along the way. I'm good enough at all three sports to not embarrass myself when I go our to "play".

On one hand, it is fairly common to fall into a belief pit that I'm getting too old to accomplish anything significant in sports, especially in ones that I've only been fumbling at for 4 short years. On the other, who could honestly predict whether I will fail?

I've been a member of ATA since early on, yet have never shot a registered target.

There are days when I think I should have stayed home and saved the fees and ammo costs. There are also days when I'm easily making smoke balls from 16 yards - and even farther back. That seems to suggest potential - if not for greatness, at least for a trophy of some sorts.

I'm publicly declaring today that I will shoot ATA targets, enter events, and compete for a prize. I will win something before I turn 70. I'll accept anything gratefully - but nothing for "most improved senior". Give that one to a real old guy.

I have 3 years and 5 months to succeed.

Larry

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Good luck. Enjoy the trip. Jackie B.

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

That's the attitude.

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

young man

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

That's the attitude, you're going to do it young fellow, and when you do be happy-proud & ENJOY it.

I did it & I'm 72 in the SV group. Ross Puls

6. steve66

steve66 TS Member

Go for it, take it easy, and enjoy yourself.

7. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Larry, come on down to Downers Grove Sportsmens Club in Morris 6/8 & 6/9 for the Grand Chicago Shoot. I'll guarantee you great targets and I'll buy your lunch. The rest is up to you. Harv Shell

8. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Play the Lewis, you may win that way along with shooting Green birds and meat shoots.

Playing all the ATA options is for shit unless you are a "shooter". You'll be giving you money away to the guys you know.

Plenty of prizes to shoot for besides shooting registered events. Less sandbaggers too.

9. mich746

mich746 Member

Grandpa, That's great.
    I'm a new shooter at 62, my plan is to be on top of my game when I qualify for senior class. Look out I'm coming for you............

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Grandpa, Try this. For one year or shoot season, shoot competition in registered shoots, but shoot "targets only". Put the money you might have wagered on the various options for each event at the shoot in a coffee can. Check your scores at the end of the shoot to see IF/WHAT your scores would have won. If you would have won some money, take $$ out of the coffee can and/or out of your billfold and enjoy spending it - effectively paying yourself. If you would not have won any $$, leave the money in the coffee can until the next shoot and let it grow. At the end of the trap season, you will have the answer if it would have been worthwhile to play the options. Hint: most of us will have $$ left in the coffee can at the end of the year or season and will still have the fun of having competed and judged our performance. Let's see how bad I get "flamed" for this. Best Regards, Ed

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Good fortune buddy- I am certain it will happen

Regards from Iowa

Gene

12. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

You CAN do it it!

13. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

I had the pleasure of standing beside a very good friend of mine when he broke his very first 100 straight.. at the age of 80. Nuff said.. enjoy the trip !!

PS. He has been shooting ATA for over 40 years

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I see nothing to laugh at. Everyone needs a goal.

Despite having fused vertebrae, a lumbar disc that acts up, and two blown out knees, my goal is to bike the 17 mile Deschutes River Trail, which is an old abandoned Union Pacific (nee Deschutes Railroad) rail line in eastern Oregon. (The canyon once had two railroads, one on each side. Only one exists now.) The only other access in the area is by raft or driftboat. I've wanted to do this since I was a kid, but private property issues prevented it. I'd like to try it during chukar season. Then I can pack my Browning Model 12 20ga, since it's a takedown and lightweight.

15. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I am basically on the same track. I began shooting ATA again at the age of 62. I am entering my third season of shooting about four events a year. My goal has been to break 100 singles in competition and win a handicap event. I haven't reached the goal yet, but I am not quite ready to give up. I am giving myself 12 more months. Good luck with your goals. Hope you enjoy the ride as much as I am. Martinpicker

16. wrd

wrd Member

You and I are in the same boat. After shooting trap ( on and off) for 50 years, I finally joined ATA and started shooting registered about two years ago. I am a D Class Sr.Vet. Certainly the only one around here. Maybe the only one in the world. IMO, the Lewis Option is a crap shoot. Skill has nothing to do with it. All the other games, go for it. You might get lucky and you cannot take it with you, anyhow.
    I have never shot 50 straight in my life but, those MId-50 purses are more within my reach than PowerBall.
    If your scores are not there yet, maybe a new gun. Or a different hat. Or bullets. Or hi-tech shooting glasses. Hope you have a substantial pension.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.