1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Latest Custom Gun Stock

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by stockguru, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stockguru

stockguru TS Member

Thoguht I'd share my latest creation with those who enjoy nice wood.
    [​IMG]

2. famous12345

famous12345 TS Member

That looks awesome. Great job!!!

3. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

Extremely nice

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Very fitting wood for a 687. I'm impressed!

ec90t

5. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Beautiful! Would be even nicer if it was an inch or so longer.

Which SO Model?

6. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Wow,

That is a very impressive looking piece of English Walnut. Who did you buy the blank from if you want to share that info?

Dennis Devault

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

That is very nice . It looks like it,s deep ??

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Is your finish a trade secret or would you mind sharing with us what you use. I'm always looking for ways to improve my own results (I do my own stock work).

9. stockguru

stockguru TS Member

The gun is a Beretta SO-5. The wood is English walnut, Californa grown, uniform,stable and beautiful, hand picked. I hate to share all our secrets but I'll tell you a couple. The finish is automotive eurethane clear, no color at all. As for the finishing proces...well... I'd rather not say. I will say there is about another 3 hours in additional labor AFTER the stock spraying process. It's not rocket science, but does take a little effort. The stocks are done entirely in house now. We sent our custom fit model to Wenig and had them duplicate this particular one for us and finished the inletting and so forth. We do the stocks , start to finish , after purchasing a duplicator. The wood was purchased from Cecil Fredi in Vegas....he has nice stuff, tell him we sent you his direction(blankscf@cox.net). Hope I answered everyone's questions, if not , shoot us an email. Tim Eyster

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Tim. I've always wondered about using automotive urethane for gunstocks but so far haven't tried it yet. I suspect it may be a bit more durable than polyurathane for wood. "Color sanding" is the key, and yes it's all about the work after you spray. You've got a beautiful piece of work there. Comgrats!!

Ron

11. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

That looks great. I have a cowboy gun I need to have fixed up. It's a Baikal, which as a Russian gun is built sturdy as a tank, but the stock looks horrible. If it had nicer wood it would be great.

12. stockguru

stockguru TS Member

Hey folks....I sprayed one stock, including checkering, ONCE. I'll never do it again. Our checkering is all hand cut and it looks like checkering should. That's one thing that sets us apart. Thanks for all the comments and "atta boys". I know it's appreciated, hope you all do!

13. stockguru

stockguru TS Member

By the way.....I don't think I'm capable of being honorable or worthy enough, to refinish a Biakal gunstock....my apologies!

14. Wally Philipiw

Wally Philipiw TS Member

Do not want to high jack the thread... Sorry stockguru. Ljutic73 send me your email address.

Wally.

15. stockguru

stockguru TS Member

Wally, I don't mean to be short about the Baikal....cost you more to refinish than you paid for the gun, sir.

16. Wally Philipiw

Wally Philipiw TS Member

stockguru

It wasn't me asking about the Baikal. The poster asking was Colonel Reb several posts above mine.

Wally

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.