1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Latest cost of reloads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Just made a circle tour to CAC at Ebensburg, PA for supplies. Plugging the latest prices for shot, wads, primers, powder, and once used hulls into the on-line Reloading Cost Calculator, for 1 1/8oz handicap loads, It came back with $3.69 per box. Compared to the latest price for Remington STS handicap loads, that's quite a savings.

In case you're wondering: Remington Fig 8S wads, STS 209 primers, Green Dot Powder (20gr) and West Coast Magnum shot. Remington STS hulls.

Well, sorry I can't stick around ....with all this money I'm saving I need to get back to the PW machine. ...mike

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mike, you made me look. Got prices from my dealer and came up with $4.07 a box plus tax and nothing figured into hulls at all. This is the best prices I can get around here, believe me I have looked. LOL. $180 primers STS,$103 for fig 8 wads, $25 shot law. mag shot., $100 for 8 pounds of green dot. These prices all need tax on them. I'm glad someone can get better prices than I can. LOL. Good Luck and break-em all. JEff

3. gus

gus Member

So for $ 5.00 a box for gun clubs why bother ??

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

gus: This old issue of comparing "apples and oranges" when discussing reloads vs new shells gets rather ridiculous. First of all, $5 Gun Club shells are pretty hard to find in todays market. That being said, lets compare STS shells with the components that Mike has listed. These are all "top of the line components". If we wanted to start out having a comparison with your $5 Gun Clubs; then let us utilize the costs of the less expensive components. After all the Gun Clubs are the less expensive target shells in the Remington line. Correct? OK. Using discarded Gun Club hulls, (that you have thrown away at the local club), we will load them up with Promo powder, Fiocchi primers, Lawrence shot, (see, we even use good magnum shot in this test) and Downrange wads we come up with the following prices. (All loaded with 18 grains of powder). 1 oz load=$3.02 1 1/8 oz load=$3.21 ... The costs of the lower cost components were as follows at my local dealer yesterday. Fiocchi primers= $110 per 5000 Downrange wads=$72 per 5000 Lawrence shot= $24.50 per 25# and Promo powder= $72 for 8#. That is approximately $2 per box savings over the Gun Clubs at $5. And again, I haven't seen a lot of $5 Gun Clubs lately. Anyway, lets be fair with our comparisons. Oh yes, I might add; please don't mention the cost of labor to load them and the cost of gas to get the components, etc. Ed

5. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Hey Mike,

Saving? you mean spending. I suggest you don't try that line on Barb and if you do, I hope she smacks you. Always glad to help. Your pal,

Phil

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Im still waiting om my dicks dollar rebate that got gun clubs down to 4.98 box
    before that I stocked up when gun clubs where 5.39box anf STS where 6.98
    Last I went to dicks ammo was at normal prices 6 and 9 bucks
    Cheapest shells now are the Fed 4 pack at Walmart 21and change? My reloads even with the price increase are 3.95 by the calculator. a buck a box is 10 a case which is a least some xtra gas or feed for the drive to a shoot. ok now I know I shoot at least a case at a shoot and about that for practice before.....blah blah blah. I reloaded 10 cases last year, did not shoot much wife was prenant. Well I still saved 100.00 covered my cost for wads.

7. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Hey! Brother Phil!

Barb had a day off and went along. She asked if I was gonna get any more shot, and since I had about 30 bags already, said there was prolly enough. But when Terry told us it was $22.50 a bag, I admitted that it might be wise to get another 10 bags. Heck, she said, if it's that cheap, why don't you get twenty? Well, what could I do, especially since she was gonna pay. (grin)

We gonna open the traphouse soon?

8. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Hey Mike, first Thursday in April, as always. What's the hurry?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.