1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Late Model 12s and 42s..Who and Where made?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin77, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

I have seen a lot of 20ga and 28ga Model-12s and Model-42s for sale...I know they are not made in USA...some are Browning, some use the Winchester name...whats the story? Whats the quality? Any info appreciated...Thanks, WC

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Generally you will know by the price on the M42 Browning Vs an original Winchester and especially with the M12 28 gauge. The Browning guns are good but they don't sell for anything near what the originals bring. The Browning repos are also made in Japan and marked accordingly.

Not to bad mouth the Brownings but the original Winchesters are much better made guns and seem to have a character all their own. You can make quite a hobby of collecting these old treasures.

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

For a while the collectors were saying the "Browning" marked Model 12s would be more valuable than the "Winchester" marked Browning series simply because the "Browning" guns were made for such a short period. But production on the "Winchester" halted too, so I don't really know which series is more scarce.

All the Browning produced M12s have trigger interrupters, so they can't be slam-fired like the originals. That doesn't seem too much a problem in the 12 and 20 gauge, but the 28s tend toward tricky shucking. But then, the original Winchester M12 28 gauges didn't shuck like the 12 and 20s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.