1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Last US WWI Vet dies

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by grntitan, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The last living US WWI Veteran has died at 110. Can you imagine the storties that have went with him? Link to story above......

Matt

Frank Buckles, the last living U.S. World War I veteran

[​IMG]

2. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

I wonder how many are left, from any country.

3. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

Just looked and only 2 are left.

4. FIB

FIB Member

It's sad that so many of the WW1 and WW2 veterans have passed or are getting close to it. The younger (<30) generations really need to hear their stories and experiences. I love history, especially military history, and enjoy hearing veterans from both sides of the war. I've had the good fortune to talk to Russian and German soldiers about their experiences. It's interesting to hear the other sides story. RIP all veterans. "Only the dead know the end of war" Plato

5. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Had a treat this weekend. Got to shoot with a 89 year old marine WW2 veteran. Landed on Guadalcanal and Bougiville. Then went to Iwo. His best friend was awarded the medal of honor and went stateside for a bond drive. Asked to be returned to his unit. He was killed on Iwo Jima. He said as he stood there looking at him he felt like kicking his a$$ even after he was dead because at the time he felt he did not have to have done that. Now he said after time he understands.......man we owe those guys a lot.

6. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

A couple years back a documentary was done on the three? that were left. (Veterans of WWI) Mr Buckels was our American and there was either a Frenchman or a German I forget which and the one guy who lives in Washington who was a Canadian veteran. Sorry to see them go but how long can anyone live? I think the oldest person on earth currently is 114. Think about it when we got out of the WWI it's now been 92 years ago. I believe Frank Buckels was also a POW in WWII when he lived in the Phillipenes and was captured by the Japanese. I am fairly sure he was working as a civilian doing something away from the military. Dan

7. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

We lost our last one last uear in Canada,he was a 106.What wonderful old gentlemen,all of them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.