1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Last night I did the unthinkable!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Darryl101, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

Last weekend I went and done it! I changed powder bushings on my 1970's model 366. It hasn't been monkeyed with in over 30 years. Throwing 17.2 (or so)grains of 700X. I had decided I was going to start stuffing my own handicap (my wife thinks "handicap" is so fitting for me) shells. I was raised since a kid shooting factory shells in the handicap and never really got over it because "that's the way my dad did it so that's the way I'm gonna do it". For the record......the past 8-10 years I have been shooting Top Gun or Estate shells. I thought I could at least reach their degree of manufacture/quality.

After rummaging around I found one that threw a couple tenths short of 19 grains of 700X. The radar said they hummed along at 1220.

I took a 100 of them out last night and set up camp at the end of the sidewalk. They were the best! I think I am converted for life. That's what I say now. Maybe it was love at first sight and I will snap out of it. One thing I do know for sure is that I am going to fill a couple of thousand of them before I stick my old bushing back in!!

Darryl

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Darryl----There is nothing like your own home grown loads. Nothing.

3. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

I know what you mean. I always figured the fellas that didn't reload were missing at least half of the fun of being a shooter.....especially now that my kids are old enough to box shells!!

Darryl

4. grntitan

Darryl---My oldest is old enough to box 'em but getting him to do it is another story. He is 15 and knows EVERYTHING and does NOTHING. LOL LOL. No he is a good kid and my shooting partner but he does know EVERYTHING though. I use to do the same as you and only loaded my singles loads and shot factory cap loads 'til i figured out that my loads were better quality and consistentcy than factory. -_- Matt

5. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

You have a high threshold for pain! In the "old days" I loaded 18.2 gr of 700X and 1 1/8 oz of shot. My 700X load is now 16.1 gr and that's the rare occasion I shoot 1 oz shot. My norm now is 7/8 oz...its Hell to be and recoil conscious.

6. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Why didn't you try the shells that had 17.2 of 700X in them from handicap? You might have had a pleasant suprise.

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

While we're on the subject of 700X, when did the ID flakes become white? I just switched over to a new 8 lb jug of of IMR 700x and was surprised to see white instead of yellow flakes. Granted the last yellow flakes came out of a 12 lb keg, but has this been going on long?

I called their phone number, but kind of got a muddled response (don't think the guy had fielded that question before). His answer was, "Maybe it's just a light shade of yellow?"

Any comments out there? Thanks for any response.

8. grntitan

2 keys over, 1 up for god's sake.

9. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I tried the 700x for handycap loads.... I was at 19.2gr on 1-1/8oz.

OUCH OUCH OUCH...

20gr of Green Dot is much easier to shoot with similar speeds and less pressure.

SW

10. GARMASTERS

GARMASTERS TS Member

"----There is nothing like your own home grown loads. Nothing."

There's even better, shooting somebody else's home grown loads.

11. grntitan

GARMASTERS----You got bigger ba*&s than me. I don't trust other peoples quality control standards.-----Matt

12. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Ok grntitan, I had that comin'. Was just hopin' to give ALF a typin' lesson. His style is hard on my eye's.

13. grntitan

Didn't know if you were gonna catch it or not. Alright back to what you wanted to know. Can't help you cause i'm a Green Dot user and the flakes are still Green.LOL

14. grntitan

Stokinpls----P.S. His lack of the right punctuation is only one of the things he does that eats at me but we won't go there.----Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.