1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Last Mountain Man Released from Prison!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by grnberetcj, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

and the point is....???

Bad people are released from prisons on a daily basis...

Curt - Delaware

2. Bend Over

Bend Over TS Member

Yea but Ol' Claude Dallas is a Hero.

BO

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Claude Dallas is quite a legend in this area (northern NV). Some people actually do see him as a hero but the fact of the matter is that he was illegally taking game and trapping out of season and ended up killing a couple of game wardens. Claude Dallas really wasn't a mountain man, he was more of a city kid that came out west to play cowboy and then branched out into a self styled gunslinger that didn't think the laws applied to him. He has been out of prison for quite some time and has been seen in northern NV recently.

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Thanks for the info. I thought NV had a Capital Punishment Law?

Probability is that if old Claude is back in his element, it won't be long before he's back in prison....

Now here's some poetic (street) justice. I arrested a guy for killing his brother in 1980. He went to prison and was paroled in 2005. About three or four weeks after his release he was killed in a car accident at night while he and his buddy were Jacklighting deer.

Sometimes things work out!!

Curt

5. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Bo, Claude Dllas a hero? He killed two game wardens doing their jobs. As Wolfram said above "he didn't think game laws applied to him." He is no hero to the millions of hunters, trappers and sportsman a like who follow the rules. What he is now is a convict that should have spent the rest of life in prison. Maybe, we'll get lucky and old Claude will slip away back to the mountains and never be heard of again.

Rick

6. grammie

grammie TS Member

Please don't call him a "mountain man" either!!!

But,,,,,after shooting the game wardens,,,he walked up and shot each one behind the ear to finish them off!!!! It was "that fact" and that one alone that got him convicted!!!! The people there liked claude dallas and did not care much for the game warden!!!

He was out in a very remote part of montana,,,he had all his gear,,his pack animals,,and much else that goes with living outdoors,,the wardens were trying to take him in on I think a poaching charge,,something like,,anyway even the locals regarded the warden as a hardass,,,but he wouldn't leave his gear or his animals,,and when warden reached----Well!!!!!

I think he commented that the shots behind the ear is something he would have done for any suffering animal..

AKA Grammie..........

7. wolfram

Dallas did his crimes in northern Nevada just below the Idaho border. His first escape was from the Winnemucca courthouse. I was there.

8. wolfram

Actually the kill site is inside the NV border and Dallas took the bodies about 40 miles south west and buried them near Sand Pass road which is just north of Winnemucca NV. He was later arrested near Paradise ranchos by the Humboldt Co. Sheriff and escaped from the Winnmucca courthouse. Dallas was a fugative for quite awhile before his recapture and trial in Idaho. The reason for the Idaho trial was because the wardens were Idaho F&G. One of the big ironies about the whole thing is that Dallas could have gotten out of the poaching charge due to a jurisdictional problem with the Idaho wardens. As it was, he pretty much got away with murder.

9. VAMiket

VAMiket Member

Hmmmmm.....since he was in prison for so long, he's probably not a mountain but rather a mounted man!

10. JohnBT

JohnBT TS Member

"Yea but Ol' Claude Dallas is a Hero."

To who, other murderers?

John

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I was out in Caldwell, Idaho to a horse sale about the time Claude Dallas was captured. Was rather surprised to learn that many of the locals sypathized with him?? Maybe they knew something I didn't?, far as I was concerned he was just a cold blooded killer.

John C. Saubak

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

And------no "grammie",

He wasn't in Montana. You're confusing him with the "Unibomber"-------we got enuf' crazies in Montana without taking the blame for Idaho's too?

13. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

Theres a book out on his history. He also worked in Oregon I believe for Peter French of French Glenn Or. On whats known as the "P" ranch. I wouldn't call him a hero, but he is a legend of sorts. As I recall from the book, it was his extensive trap lines that crossed state borders that got him in trouble. Many people helped hide him. People thought differently then, the book is really interesting. Im not condoning what he did at all.But it is another romantic story of the end of the old west? if you will. There was a simular story out of Idaho about a guy I think was called the Ridge Runner? This was a really good read. He messed with the USFS for years and was a man of the mountains. Guys from Idaho can add more to this guy. He was also a renagade and a legend.Both books are worth the read.

Dennis

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Randy Weaver just wanted to be left alone too.

HM

15. smartass

smartass TS Member

Perhaps grammie should stick to his area of expertise- nothingness.

16. kong

kong TS Member

No he wasn't a cityboy either...he was born in rural Morrow County in Ohio to a dairy farmer. For those of you familiar with the Cardinal Center, home of the Ohio State shoot, Dallas was born and raised about 12 miles north of there. I grew up there and it was quite the story for us as we have very few claims to fame in this rural area. But he was no Hero...just another black eye to us....Brian

17. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

O.J. killed 2 people also, is he a hero??? I'm cofused. I believe murderer is the proper description.

18. JLW

JLW TS Member

I'm certain there are many people who believe O.J. is a hero. Just not many here.-Jerald

19. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I wonder what the circumstances were to the charges of this guy. 22 years is a long time but he did kill two men who were government employees and if not for their jobs we wouldn't be able to hunt much of anything. That's my opinion. I think if not for the game wardens most of the small game and all the big game would have been hunted down years ago. I really do find it hard to fathom that in the west, someone who murdered two game wardens only served 22 years. I have always thought that what comes around goes around and more than likely he will find that out also. Lets hope the current law officers are safe from him. Dan

20. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Amazing to have a venue so full of conservatives, law abiders especially with firearms issues and yet consider Claude Dallas a hero! He is no hero! He is simply a murderer who should be spending the remainder of his life in prison. There are murders, killers etc that have recieved the death penalty for less heinous crimes! It is these stances that the anti's use against us! They use this type of rhetoric to portray us as vigilante's or zealous right wingers!

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.