1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Last Invite out to the Range?!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by spitter, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Continuing on the subject of getting MORE folks out to shoot - I pose this question... "When was the last time you asked someone NEW out your range?!" Follow up by asking yourself, "How many times a month/year, do I ask someone who is not familiar or lost to shotgunning, to come out shooting with me?!"

Even private clubs allow their members to bring guests. How often do you take advantage of that?!

Even in a gun controlling state like Illinois, which requires residents to have a firearm ID, there are allowable provisions for "instruction" of new shooters. Now some states such as New York, I understand may not allow even supervised instruction without prior registration.

BTW, an invite doesn't have to mean your dime either - so how many of you have repeatedly asked a family member, friend, neighbor, business associate, customer, vendor, etc. ?! Don't they all know you shoot?!

If you're not asking, are you concerned that you'll offend someone?! I ask everyone I know, and keep asking them - so maybe they aren't interested now, but at some point they may be... I can't remember the last outright "NO". You might actually be surprised by the appreciative responses you'll receive.

Think about everyone you know, who enjoys the outdoors... ask them out to the range at the first opportunity, they're probably wondering why you haven't asked them out sooner?!

regards all,

Jay

2. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Two weeks ago.took my niece and her partner for safety and shooting instruction..

3. kevin a.

kevin a. Member

i live in new york and have never heard of any restrictions ?
    maybe the city or long island ?

kevin

4. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

I invite new non-shooters to my club all the time. You should see the smiles on their faces the first time they pull the trigger! Every new shooter is one less anti-gun person in this world!

5. spitter

Kevin...

I picked up that inference from reading the NSSF website... it was a comment about NY, from their promotion of NSSF's "First Shots" program. The website appears to indicate that there may be a possession restriction in New York and/or New York state.

I am no expert in state to state firearm laws...

regards all,

Jay

6. ctreay

ctreay Member

I too live in NY. Northern NY, the only restrictions I am aware of is in the handgun area. The damn city is in a world of it's own so anything is possable down there.

ctreay

7. Libra1310

Libra1310 TS Member

The restrictions are definetly for handguns. I live on Long Island and shoot pretty regularly at Calverton shooting Range. It is like Fort Apache there with long guns. Never any hassle( although the dopes dropping hot brass on me from an AK47 should be slapped)

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I asked Obama but he said something about Rep with gun and ran off. I tried.

9. cmmonaco78

cmmonaco78 Member

I Live in New York State and shoot in NJ. There are no state specific Shot Gun laws in NY outside of the 5 Burroghs. I own shotguns and a rifle and none are required to be registered nor do they require any kind of license to own them. We have an NRA endorsed Dem senator in Gillibrand so hopefully that won't change. Incedently, I invite people to come to the range with me frequently. Sometimes I get takers. Sometimes not. But I always extend the invite

Regards,

Christopher Monaco

10. cmmonaco78

cmmonaco78 Member

Scratch that comment about Gillibrand. She has flip flopped and the NRA has now given her a F for her more recent gun control record. I guess when you get to Washington your convictions are easily swayed.

Regards,

CM

11. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

I frequently take guests...friends and relatives. I have introduced them to pistol shooting and trap. I was hooked and about to purchase a BT-99 and shoot with me in a league. Never hurts to help people have a positive attitude towards guns.

Dave

12. spitter

Thanks for the clarification...

OK then - with NY state shotgun friendly, how about it America... let's get out there and invite a few folks to your local club!

regards all,

Jay

13. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

THis past Sunday, my wife and i took our 15 yr old newphew out, he has never shot a shotgun before, he was shooting straight aways, he did quite well, he is excited about joining our AIM program in the spring,

Chuck

14. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

I've taken fellow workers, neighbors, my son in law, and friends to the range. I'm always willing to spend some time with a non shooter to teach them how to shoot, be it pistol, rifle, or shotgun. They always seem to have a good time! - Bob

15. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: I live in new york and have never heard of any restrictions ?

Not just anyone in New York can take a youngster to the range. Read 7 if nothing else.

New York State Law

PL§ 265.05 Unlawful possession of weapons by persons under sixteen. It shall be unlawful for any person under the age of sixteen to possess any air-gun, spring-gun or other instrument or weapon in which the propelling force is a spring or air, or any gun or any instrument or weapon in or upon which any loaded or blank cartridges may be used, or any loaded or blank cartridges or ammunition therefor, or any dangerous knife; provided that the possession of rifle or shotgun or ammunition therefor by the holder of a hunting license or permit issued pursuant to article eleven of the environmental conservation law and used in accordance with said law shall not be governed by this section. A person who violates the provisions of this section shall be adjudged a juvenile delinquent.
    PL § 265.20 Exemptions.

7. Possession, at an indoor or outdoor shooting range for the purpose of loading and firing, of a rifle or shotgun, the propelling force of which is gunpowder by a person under sixteen years of age but not under twelve, under the immediate supervision, guidance and instruction of (a) a duly commissioned officer of the United States army, navy, air force, marine corps or coast guard, or of the national guard of the state of New York; or (b) a duly qualified adult citizen of the United States who has been granted a certificate as an instructor in small arms practice issued by the United States army, navy, air force or marine corps, or by the adjutant general of this state, or by the national rifle association of America, a not-for-profit corporation duly organized under the laws of this state; or (c) a parent, guardian, or a person over the age of eighteen designated in writing by such parent or guardian who shall have a certificate of qualification in responsible hunting, including safety, ethics, and landowner relations-hunter relations, issued or honored by the department of environmental conservation; or (d) an agent of the department of environmental conservation appointed to conduct courses in responsible hunting practices pursuant to article eleven of the environmental conservation law.

7-d. Possession, at an indoor or outdoor shooting range for the purpose of loading and firing, of a rifle, pistol or shotgun, the propelling force of which may be either air, compressed gas or springs, by a person under twelve years of age, under the immediate supervision, guidance and instruction of (a) a duly commissioned officer of the United States army, navy, marine corps or coast guard, or of the national guard of the state of New York; or (b) a duly qualified adult citizen of the United States who has been granted a certificate as an instructor in small arms practice issued by the United States army, navy or marine corps, or by the adjutant general of this state, or by the national rifle association of America, a not-for-profit corporation duly organized under the laws of this state; OR (c) a parent, guardian, or a person over the age of eighteen designated in writing by such parent or guardian who shall have a certificate of qualification in responsible hunting, including safety, ethics, and landowner relations-hunter relations, issued or honored by the department of environmental conservation.

16. spitter

OK... our thanks to Joe for clarifying that ... I think (lol)...

So, if I understand what I read above, the Empire State is still fairly shotgun friendly, but to minors under 16, with some requirements. So Mom, Dad or Grandpa can't take little Johnny/Janey out to shoot informally, unless they have some form of certification.

What are ATA sub-juniors/Juniors who shoot in NY state doing on the line?! In Illinois, immediate supervision and control is interpreted to mean someone is standing right next to you... so how does that work or is dealt with?! Is there an exemption for competition?

Anybody?

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.